PlayStation Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:52 pm

didn't realise it came out on Saturn.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:59 pm

The PS1 version of Pong is teriffic, lots of imagination and it's great in multiplayer, well worth tracking down.

bosher

Post by bosher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:29 pm

SirClive wrote:
sonic91 wrote:The Spyro The Dragon series is ace, especially Spyro 2:Gateway to Glimmer (also known as Spyro 2:Ripto's Rage)
The PS1 Spyro's are awesome. Spyro 3 is in my top 10 games of all time.
i agree i was looking to see if anyone wud mention the spyro games, in gamestation they're £1.50. well the first one is. bargin of the year!!
davey bosher says relax!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:55 pm

SirClive wrote:Pademonium is great if you can get over the password save instead of memory card.

Never enjoyed that game, it WASN'T 3D, no matter what anyone said!!!
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

revgiblet

Re: PlayStation Games

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:57 am

Right! Well, are you in for a treat Mr. Master. Let me start by recommending...hang on...
The Master wrote: Not interested in: fighting games, football/sports games, or (for now) RPGs.
Oh...forget it.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 am

Wow, many thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, this is definitely going to keep me rather busy :D

Yeah, R-Type Delta was the second (after WipeOut 2097) PS1 game I sampled the delights of, as witness this thread:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5758

:D

revgiblet, I'll probably come to RPGs later, it's just that I have to narrow myself down a little bit, and I must admit that the "BAM! The dice rolls. You take 20HP hit. Elrond sits down and starts singing about gold"-style games never did much for me... however I'm always up for being pleasantly surprised...
Graham Humphrey wrote:The PS1 version of Pong is teriffic, lots of imagination and it's great in multiplayer, well worth tracking down.
erm...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:00 am

if you can track down a copy of Nuclear Strike for the PS1, thats quite good. Nice helicoptery-shoot-em-up. too easy to run out of ammo )especially when your blowing stuff up willy-nilly. Oh, look, a house....BLAMMO!).
And if you like racing games, and you can find it, I've been trying for years, ROAD RASH JAILBREAK. It's better that the first PS1 road rash game plus when you and a computer player get knocked off your bikes, you can steal his.....i think.....or was that jacked........oh, bloody hell!

Failing that, Grab an N64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day! Its the only place you'll find a drinking Scarecrow called Birdy, the worlds smallest Grim Reaper called Greg or a sunflower who's willing to let you bounce on her enormous Shirt Potatoes :shock:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:34 am

Surprisingly no one has mentioned Castlevania: Sympathy Of the Night, considered by many to be the greatest of all CV games.

I haven't played it, but I hear the Ps1's version of Strider 2 is EXCELLENT.

-Ray

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:41 pm

The Master wrote:
Graham Humphrey wrote:The PS1 version of Pong is teriffic, lots of imagination and it's great in multiplayer, well worth tracking down.
erm...
"Erm" what?

Oh, Vib Ribbon is fab as well, do try it if you can track down a copy.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Sorry mate I didn't realise you were being serious :D
There's really a PS version of Pong!!?!

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm

No worries :D

There's an old review of it here - http://uk.psx.ign.com/articles/161/161431p1.html

It's awesome, one of my favourite PS1 games!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Graham Humphrey wrote:No worries :D

There's an old review of it here - http://uk.psx.ign.com/articles/161/161431p1.html

It's awesome, one of my favourite PS1 games!
got slated in a lot of reviews , but I too really liked it!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:51 pm

I know you said no RPG's but you really MUST play Vandal Hearts. Its a turn based isometric view type game and is utterly fabulous.

Other fave games...

Parappa the Rappa.
Super Bust-a-Move (1 or 2)
Einhander

err thats it from me..

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:12 pm

The Master wrote: revgiblet, I'll probably come to RPGs later, it's just that I have to narrow myself down a little bit, and I must admit that the "BAM! The dice rolls. You take 20HP hit. Elrond sits down and starts singing about gold"-style games never did much for me... however I'm always up for being pleasantly surprised...
Most of the PS1 RPGs (well, pretty much all of them except Diablo) are Japanese so don't go down this path at all. Pick up something like Final Fantasy VII or Breath of Fire IV and give that a whirl. If you don't like them then you'll probably not enjoy much that the PS1 has to offer in the RPG department. Though Vandal Hearts is very enjoyable, as is the prohibitively-expensive Suikoden.

Oh, and try Syphon Filter. It's better than MGS.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 am

revgiblet wrote:
The Master wrote: revgiblet, I'll probably come to RPGs later, it's just that I have to narrow myself down a little bit, and I must admit that the "BAM! The dice rolls. You take 20HP hit. Elrond sits down and starts singing about gold"-style games never did much for me... however I'm always up for being pleasantly surprised...
Most of the PS1 RPGs (well, pretty much all of them except Diablo) are Japanese so don't go down this path at all. Pick up something like Final Fantasy VII or Breath of Fire IV and give that a whirl. If you don't like them then you'll probably not enjoy much that the PS1 has to offer in the RPG department.
If you are looking to start getting into the Playstation RPG's then stay well away from Final Fantasy 7, it sucks big time and is as boring as it is stuck up it's own backside.
There are far bettter RPG games than this FMV filled, random number generating toss on the PS1..