Which is better: Sinclair or Amstrad?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is better: Sinclair or Amstrad?

Sinclair
63%
Amstrad
37%

Total votes: 57

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:06 am

woody.cool wrote:
Batman - horrible to control on a Speccy 48K - the monochrome graphics made some puzzles tough.

Head Over Heels - see Batman
What was it made these 2 horrible to control then, I would have thought they'd have the same control method on all machines?
Splink!

forestville

Post by forestville » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:56 am

It's Sinclair all the way for me, they are only owned by Amstrad, Maybe Sinclair could make a bit for freedom

:D
Press play on tape

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:23 pm

The Master wrote:
oli_lar wrote:One of them is compatable with the Spectrum +3 and PCW computers which is interesting - but I guess that particular model was virtually a CPC anyway with the built in Amstrad type floppy drive?
The 3 machines definitely weren't binary compatible, but they all used the same weirdo "Captain Scarlet" 3" floppies and filing system, so chances are they've just bunged on 3 different versions onto the same disc. What game is it?
Makes sense.
- Its Scapeghost..never heard of it before

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:27 pm

felgekarp wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
Batman - horrible to control on a Speccy 48K - the monochrome graphics made some puzzles tough.

What was it made these 2 horrible to control then, I would have thought they'd have the same control method on all machines?
The rubber keyboard on the 48K and the horrible keyboard on the 48+ and the 128+ - however control is much better with the decent keyboards supplied on the +2 and later models.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:38 pm

woody.cool wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
woody.cool wrote:

The rubber keyboard on the 48K and the horrible keyboard on the 48+ and the 128+ - however control is much better with the decent keyboards supplied on the +2 and later models.
I prefer the rubber keys to any of the later models for gaming. Batman and Head Over Heels were both very responsive. We used an early model though - we had a later one but the rubber was stiffer and not so nice so we used sticks for that. Some games just worked better on keyboard though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:56 am

IMHO the Amstrad was the better machine.

The Spectrum was much more popular and successful. As such, many believe it to be better.

I feel that both machines were very similar in terms of technology. The main difference being that the Amstrad had more colours available. However, the use of these colours often slowed the processor down.

The quality of each machine really shows through the programmers ability to make good, playable games - there were plenty for both.

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:01 pm

TMR wrote:it's locked for the 16K and 48K machines, the 128K hardware can relocate the screen and i believe attribute RAM.
I think it doesnt has attribute ram, otherwise the nr of colors wont be in a opposite relation with the resolution.

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:04 pm

nwosteve wrote:You cannot compare these things, they are fundamentally different
where? same cpu and same soundchip...

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 pm

merman wrote:To my mind, programmers got more out of the Spectrum because they had to learn how to make do with the limitations.
the reason for that was that the speccy was more popular, longer lifespan, more games ported, it all pushed the programmers to make better games especially later when games quality got higher and higher.

gury

Post by gury » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:40 pm

Deleted
Last edited by gury on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

gury

Post by gury » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Spector wrote: The spectrum 128K models have a 48K mode in built that makes it work almost exactly like an original 48K Spectrum. There are compatiblilty issues, but 98% of games work on the Spectrum Plus 2. The most compatible version is the original (and rarest) 128K Spectrum released just before Sugar bought Sinclair over. Sugar would bring his magic to the Spectrum over the next few years, with his legendary Datacorder, with cheesy rainbow logo, ultra slow rewind and no tape counter. Oh, and the disk drive was great too. And the joysticks were legendary for both the minutes that they worked. Thanks, Sir Alan :x
Thanks for explanation Spector. So, if original 128K Spectrum was rare, what about Spectrum Plus 2. If not 100% compatible, was it more common among later Spectrum users?
You are welcome to visit http://gury.atari8.info/

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Unfotunately, as eBay has repeatedly proven to me, there are far more +2s floating about than any other Speccy, due to the unholy curse of alan sugar's goddamn beard. Not nice, not nice at all...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm

gury wrote:
Spector wrote: The spectrum 128K models have a 48K mode in built that makes it work almost exactly like an original 48K Spectrum. There are compatiblilty issues, but 98% of games work on the Spectrum Plus 2. The most compatible version is the original (and rarest) 128K Spectrum released just before Sugar bought Sinclair over. Sugar would bring his magic to the Spectrum over the next few years, with his legendary Datacorder, with cheesy rainbow logo, ultra slow rewind and no tape counter. Oh, and the disk drive was great too. And the joysticks were legendary for both the minutes that they worked. Thanks, Sir Alan :x
Thanks for explanation Spector. So, if original 128K Spectrum was rare, what about Spectrum Plus 2. If not 100% compatible, was it more common among later Spectrum users?
the +2 (and +2A) are by far the most common 'advanced' Speccies , possibly thanks to Sugar's ability to manufacture and sell Amstrad's products at a frightening rate
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm

That's kind of what I said, but with proper words...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:56 pm

The Master wrote:That's kind of what I said, but with proper words...
I prefer your version! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"