Xleague.tv

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroRik

Xleague.tv

Post by RetroRik » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Does anybody watch Xleague.tv on Sky channel 291 .?

They have Pro and Amature gamers in the studio to fight it out for a cash prize.

Motorstorm, PGR 3, Quake 4, Fifa and loads of others have been on recently.

I find it interesting to see what these games are like as i don't own a next gen console and its good to see them battle it out...

RIK

Delboy

Post by Delboy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:26 pm

I could not sleep one night & stumbled across it, I watched two guys playing FIFA & being a Pro Evo fan & (Fifacurious) I realised just how bad the game really was.

The lads were really bad as well, playing loose passes & not very creative to say the least.

I think it is a good channel, the only one of it`s kind, gives you a really good idea of the games.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I flick it on now & again to see what's on.
It is fairly well produced it has to be said.
Too dependant on new games though.
What's wrong with having a bit Sensible Soccer, Mario Kart or Streetfighter?

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Because then they will lose well over half of their audience as there are young gamers and even those in their mid 20s & beyond who are put off by retro gaming. I would like to see other retro games featured like Street Fighter & Speedball 2. If they have featured retro games for tourneys then thats a good sign, if not then they know its best not to for their own reasons. The solution for this if we all moan about it is we form our own tv channel exclusively for retro gaming, although easier said than done.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Fair point about younger gamers but the channels on 24 hrs a day.
There must be some scope for a retro section.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:37 pm

funnily enough, me and my mate were saying about making a retro game tv channel the other day......
would be nice though.

bad thing is, it would bring back memories of Games World (and how crap it was), with Big Boy Barry (who really deserved a good slapping) and that annoying little sh!te Moriarty.......how i wanted to boot him right between the f***ing eyes!!

but XLeague is quite good. i managed to catch the Motorstorm Tourny, and its made me want a PS3 just for that one game
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Do you remember Game Network? It was supposed to be a professional channel yet it was as amateurish as my long gone local tv station. Still Game Network started off in the early days of Sky Digital & lasted a good number of years for what it did. Also what about those people who gave hints, tips and cheats during the afternoon, looked like they were using their own PCs at home when you saw the background.
Although Xleague.tv is 24hrs, even if they showed a retro game at 4am it would still tarnish their image for them. All it would take is a few people well into modern gaming to complain on a forum about an "old" game appearing on the channel & others would follow suit.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:49 pm

[quote="sleeper77"]Do you remember Game Network? It was supposed to be a professional channel yet it was as amateurish as my long gone local tv station. Still Game Network started off in the early days of Sky Digital & lasted a good number of years for what it did. Also what about those people who gave hints, tips and cheats during the afternoon, looked like they were using their own PCs at home when you saw the background.[/quote]

yes.....i watched about five minutes and turned it to Stargate SG1, which was ten times better and fun to watch (and also because of Amanda Tapping :wink: )
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Though don't pay for sky anymore still have the box attached for the free channels, is that one available for me?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Though don't pay for sky anymore still have the box attached for the free channels, is that one available for me?
According to Sky.com xleague.tv is one of the Free to Air channels so a think it should be...

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/p ... ges/nonsub

RIK

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Watch a bit of it earlier ago as the programme focus on the Pro Evolution Soccer 6 tournament.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:45 pm

RetroRik wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Though don't pay for sky anymore still have the box attached for the free channels, is that one available for me?
According to Sky.com xleague.tv is one of the Free to Air channels so a think it should be...

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/p ... ges/nonsub

RIK
Yup got it on now. :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 am

Never heard of this, will try it out tonight

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:48 am

I would say there could be scope for a retro section on the show if done well by people who know what they are doing.
I have watched this channel a couple of times now and the first time i watched it advertised Forza,PGR3 ???? wtf thats not new and Motorstorm non stop for about three hours and then had hours worth of people playing motorstorm.
repeat this again a few days later and this time its hours of Forza 2. I assume also that PGR3 was the other choice on another day
I havent seen any pc gaming on there yet though 'maybe' they do , do it.
very heavy on the 360 and Ps3 though.
also I havent seen any wii on there either, though as I say I have only watched it twice for a few hours at a time whilst monging at my mates.

still nice to have a gaming channel though
Retro when it wasnt cool

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 am

I'd rather have no game channel than Xleague.tv. I think it's atrocious. Even Game Network was much better even though at the best of times it was mostly in Italian. They had things like Samba De Amigo competitions. They weren't the best no but they had some love for the subject matter.