Robotron: greatest game of all time?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How much do you like Robotron?

Really a lot
34%
A lot
21%
Sort of
24%
Not much
11%
Not at all
11%

Total votes: 38

madblokeything

Post by madblokeything » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:33 am

surly if youve never played 2084 how can you dismiss it?????????????

another variation of the game and control system is the fantastic game

FOOD FIGHT

VERY SIMPLE BUT SO ADDICTIVE :D
http://card.mygamercard.net/apps/geowar ... ything.png
http://.mygamercard.net/madblokeything.png

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:56 am

necronom wrote:Paradroid is one of the best games ever made
Totaly agree with that!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:07 am

The question is poorly phrased if you're looking for an opinion of how good a game it was.

For me this is the sort of game that could never hold more than a few minutes worth of attention, but that's a reflection of my tastes rather than the quality of the game itself.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Yeah, but I didn't want to split hairs over the name as its essentially the same game.
Doesn't Computer Space add new elements to the gameplay as well as being bespoke code then...? The screenshots of the emulator i found just now show a play area without the central sun and the addition of two attacking flying saucers.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:09 am

I'd been playing arcade games since Space Invaders first appeared, and Robotron was the first that made an real impact on me. I was actually intimidated to use it, not by the control method, but the massive adrenaline rush from playing that left me shattered.

It still has that effect now and nothing else has come close.

(Paradroid, while in my all time top 5 C64 games, doesn't come close)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:40 am

TMR wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Yeah, but I didn't want to split hairs over the name as its essentially the same game.
Doesn't Computer Space add new elements to the gameplay as well as being bespoke code then...? The screenshots of the emulator i found just now show a play area without the central sun and the addition of two attacking flying saucers.
Deja vu

I didn't want to split hairs
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I didn't want to split hairs
It's only splitting hairs if the games are identical, they're not. Stargate is closer to Defender, will you be changing it's name as well because of that?

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:10 pm

First game I played on my JAMMA cabinet after the house move to check it was working - Robotron (through MAME-X).

It's a classic.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:54 pm

I notice the Spectrum version only got to 51 in the YS top 100, are any of the home versions worth a toss?, excluding the dual sticks part though.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:00 pm

TMR wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I didn't want to split hairs
It's only splitting hairs if the games are identical, they're not. Stargate is closer to Defender, will you be changing it's name as well because of that?
No need. Stargate is well known as Defender II. Computer Space and Space War are in a similar bracket - one is quite openly a clone of the other. An enhanced clone, but a clone no less, directly lifting its core gameplay mechanics.

I know they're not identical, but they are similar enough to be considered the same, just as I consider my Galaxy Twinvader to be a Space Invader clone. There are subtle differences, but at heart its still advancing aliens being shot.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:59 pm

pocketmego wrote:
I wonder what they'll call it the next time they release it?

-Ray
No offence but Ray is a pretty crap name for a game......

What about Neville? or Wayne?

telengard

Post by telengard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:20 pm

I can't speak for everyone, but Robotron 2084 is my #1 game of all time with a BIG caveat. It has to be played on a stand up arcade machine w/ 2 8 way leaf switch joysticks (or the real thing of course). That's the only way to experience it IMO. :)

~telengard
Last edited by telengard on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:21 pm

telengard wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but Robotron 2084 is my #1 game of all time with a BIG caveat. It has to be played on a stand up arcade machine w/ 2 8 way leaf switch joysticks. That's the only way to experience it IMO. :)

~telengard
And therefore most people will never appreciate it fully
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:37 pm

Awesome awesome game. I was a fan of Jarvis early arcaders big time. There was something different about them that made them stand out from the crowd. Defender could reduce me to tears though, never got good at that game no matter how much I tried. Home versions yes, Arcade...no way.
Robotron I did get fairly good at, after a substancial amount of cash. And adored it, I would probably give one of my nads to own an arcade Robotron. That double joystick combo was just the perfect set up (Seemed to play Robotron and Crazy Climber more than others back then...must've been the Controller thing).
Played the PS1 version on a compilation one for a while, and the N64 Robotron remake I thought played quite well and enjoyed that one too...Which HAD to be played on the hard level or you just weren't playing it!!!!!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Trivial Pursuit question and just out of interest: How many games over the years have used that type of control system?