Your Most Disappointing Purchase Ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 pm

fordie020376 wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:Gameboy Advance still remains my no.1 disappointed purchase for a gaming device. For a game, it must be Ferrari 355 Challenge for the Dreamcast & Dangerous Streets for the CD32. F355 I found very arcadey with no thrills & Dangerous Streets was worse than the Amiga version of Street Fighter 2.
Can you explain why please cos in my humble opinion F355 on Dreamcast was an amazing game!!!!!
I found it too bland a racer. Technically it is excellent and its a perfect game to show off the power of the DC, but I preferred Metropolitan Street Racer way more than this one. I can understand why others liked it but I got too bored of it easily afterwards.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:29 pm

Spiff wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:Gameboy Advance still remains my no.1 disappointed purchase for a gaming device. For a game, it must be Ferrari 355 Challenge for the Dreamcast & Dangerous Streets for the CD32. F355 I found very arcadey with no thrills & Dangerous Streets was worse than the Amiga version of Street Fighter 2.
Can you explain why please cos in my humble opinion the Gameboy Advance was an amazing console!!!!! :wink: Although obviously a pain screen-wise until the SP version came out.
Not to say in general as if it did rubbish games, it was because of the mega dim screen. I enjoy GBA games via emualtion. You need to be right under the most powerful light bulb in the world to appreciate the colours of GBA games on the original handheld so I only played GB and GBC carts on it.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Sonic CD, I know I go on about it a lot, but I was really looking forward to playing it, after so many people said it was the best Sonic game.

Finally hunted it down in Gamestation (£9.99) took it home, dug the Mega CD out, hunted high and low for the cables, stuck it in, then meh :( Very dull in places, though I'll always rate the level where you chase Metal Sonic, while being followed by Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman) with his "laser".
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:51 pm

followed by Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman)
so do I! I don't know why his name was changed. Anyway, my worst purchase has to be... poddibly Actua Soccer for the PS1. The reason being that up to that point I had been playing This Is Football on a regular basis. I think that's the best footy game for the PS1. I'm kinda high on alcohol right now so my mind is pretty much blank, and not in the mood for going through the many thousands of purchases I've made, as most of the time I only buy games and consoles for the sake of it. But I'm pretty sure I'll think of something else to top Actua Soccer as my worst purchase.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Sensible Soccer 2006 on the PS2

Loved this series on the amiga, but why the hell did Codemasters wanted it to be released prematurely in time for the world cup? Instead of getting a beautifully programmed footie game (like the amiga ones), I got a game that stank to high heaven. Unlicensed player names, bad playability and bugged to hell!

It was the first game that I had ever taken back to the shop because it was so bad. Traded it in for Puyo Pop Fever on the PSP which was, thankfully, a far superior game!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:56 am

I was also disappointed with Sensibe Soccer 2006, lack of commentary, fake names, etc. the list goes on. But I find it a lot easier to play than the mega drive version.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:00 am

sonic91 wrote:I was also disappointed with Sensibe Soccer 2006, lack of commentary, fake names, etc. the list goes on. But I find it a lot easier to play than the mega drive version.

Well , if you struggled with the original SS , you want to try Kick Off II. Now that really WAS hard to get into - but well worth the effort when you became adept at it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:25 am

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the Amstrad CPC.

I remember buying it because the screenshots on the back looked brilliant (and I'm a big fan of the film). I rushed home and attempted to boot the game up and nothing, the game didn't work. I had to wait a few weeks until my dad was going into town to get it exchanged for a new copy. So again I rushed home and started loading the game up. Waiting with fingers crossed the game loaded and then........... huge disappointment, Indy had invaded speccy land!!! I've got nothing against the spectrum (i've got a rubber keyed beauty myself) but the game was shocking. Way too difficult with frustrating leaps of faith, Indy limped along, and the whole thing was inmonochrome. It sucked the life and action out of the film franchise - I won't even mention the music (the Master System version Is much better).

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 am

The original Turtles for the speccy. looked like it had been made from Lego, gameplay stank to high heaven and it was slower than a grannys electric cart with no power.

the controls were so unresponsive, it took about ten seconds AFTER you presed up to jump that the sprite (if you can call it that) would attempt a sort of 'i'll jump if i have to' half arsed stein the air.

And don't get me started on Predator again.......That is equally my worst purchase....
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 pm

Probably Sanxion. I didn't like the game very much at all, but the picture and music were so good that it didn't feel quite so bad. To this day, I still call "The Montagues and the Capulets" the "Sanxion High-Score table music" whenever I hear it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm

I agree with the first post on this thread.

I bought a CD32 with Rise of The Robots, Diggers, Oscar, Wing Commander & Dangerous Streets.

It wasn't till I started buying my own games that my dissapointed ended. All the bundled games I had (which were what the person who I bought the CD32 off, chucked in) were of very poor quality.

telengard

Post by telengard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:25 pm

For classic games it would have to be Defender for the Atari 2600. Got it the day it was released (near my birthday) and was so disappointed in it. I understand that given the limits of the 2600 it was OK, but at age 10 I didn't think of it that way. I just loved the arcade version so much and my expectations were too high.

Modern game would have to be Halo 2. Bungie took out all of the great things in the original Halo and added a lot of crap (sword, dual weilding, etc) pretty much ruining it for me. Here's hoping Halo 3 is better. From what I've read they've made a lot of changes more in line with the original Halo.

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 pm

telengard wrote:For classic games it would have to be Defender for the Atari 2600. Got it the day it was released (near my birthday) and was so disappointed in it. I understand that given the limits of the 2600 it was OK, but at age 10 I didn't think of it that way. I just loved the arcade version so much and my expectations were too high.

Modern game would have to be Halo 2. Bungie took out all of the great things in the original Halo and added a lot of crap (sword, dual weilding, etc) pretty much ruining it for me. Here's hoping Halo 3 is better. From what I've read they've made a lot of changes more in line with the original Halo.

~telengard
The problm with the 2600 version was that they only had one fire button , for a game that needed several - under the circumstances , I thought they did a pretty good job although not their best conversion by some way
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

telengard

Post by telengard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
telengard wrote:For classic games it would have to be Defender for the Atari 2600. Got it the day it was released (near my birthday) and was so disappointed in it. I understand that given the limits of the 2600 it was OK, but at age 10 I didn't think of it that way. I just loved the arcade version so much and my expectations were too high.

~telengard
The problm with the 2600 version was that they only had one fire button , for a game that needed several - under the circumstances , I thought they did a pretty good job although not their best conversion by some way
Yep, I feel the same way now, they did the best they could, but at the time when I first plugged it in, I gotta admit, I was bummed out. I have gotten over it though. :)

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:25 pm

i still say Predator.....

i know, i know: SHUT UP ABOUT PREDATOR! but...........its just pure unadulterated sh!te!!!!
it make me want to bathe in sulphuric acid!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!