Fed up with Modern Gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:41 am

I agree there are too many FPS. The situation is terrible for the PC. Yes there are lots of FPS and yes they look fabulous with the new graphics and have great sound with the new 7.1 soundcards, but after so many FPs you do become a bit jaded by them. Half-Life 2 was excellent and I am half way through Episode 1, the other good FPS was the original Medal of Honor. Yes it was an excellent FPS, but it had a great storyline and such a great atmosphere.

I have started to get into RPG games in recent years on the PC. They make a refreshing change. Freedom Force I & II were good, and the KOTOR series were great, I hope they make a third one of them. The only game I am looking forward to this year, and indeed I am going to buy is Bioshock.

Where are the adventure games? Lucasarts and Revolution Software used to do them.

I would like to see some more top down shooters for the PC, I know there are some like Shadowgrounds and Alien Venegance.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks for the links to the retro stuff Sabreman. I do play Oolite a lot (an Elite clone/remake). I play with a mouse nowadays as opposed to in the past with a digital joystcik on C64 and Amiga, but it is still good and I have even got up to "Deadly"!

You should also try T4 Funeral and T2002, they are both Turrican remakes. There is also an Alien Breed remake as well, sadly only single player at the moment.

http://www.alienbreed.co.uk/
http://www.acid-play.com/download/t4-funeral/
http://www.acid-play.com/download/t2002/

You're quite right that the indie scene is quite interesting at the moment.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:52 am

I find that this hits close to home on this subject

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:15 am

Fed up with modern gaming? Well I was, but am really impressed with the Wii (and have only played Wii Sports so far). I don't like the series much but I got hold of Resident Evil 4 which should be fun using the Wii control methods.

I wonder if the novelty of the Wii will ware off though? It probably will if all we end up with is a flood of party / mini games.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:19 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Fed up with modern gaming? Well I was, but am really impressed with the Wii (and have only played Wii Sports so far). I don't like the series much but I got hold of Resident Evil 4 which should be fun using the Wii control methods.

I wonder if the novelty of the Wii will ware off though? It probably will if all we end up with is a flood of party / mini games.
As with all novel/new ideas, interest will wear out usually just as the next big thing comes out. Yes, something like Wiii sports is fun and a new concept and i'm into the new MK game in a big way but, as far as serious gaming is concerned, it's gotta be a long term "no". Good for a short, sharp gaming fix with friends - bad for long term gaming.

Will we be talking about the Wii and its fantastic "retro" games in 10 years time?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 am

It will when people realise that its a Gamecube with motion sensors, although I still maintain my views on the Wii would be different had Manhunt 2 been released unedited & as Rockstar intended.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 am

I find modern console games often a little too dumbed down for my taste, good ideas are often spoilt by attempts to make them more 'consoley' and accessible to a larger audience.

Imagine if Elite had been written for the X-box...They'd take all that tedious buying and selling commodities out for a start, the game would immediately start in space with your computer automatically selecting the next location and hyper spacing there. You'd be attacked straight away but a big green arrow would tell you where the enemy was. You'd get the pirate in your sights and press a trigger button expecting to fire your pulse laser...But then discover you have changed the in game sound track to something quite tedious by the 'Arctic monkeys'. Instead of docking you'd have to sit through a 14 minutes non-skippable pre-scripted cut-scene featuring essential 'character and plot development'.

PC games would be much better if they didn't ALWAYS require the latest quad-tripple-blop graphics processor with a squillion giga-bytes of internal ram. It would be NICE if developers worked with the current entry specs and made a fun game when developing rather than relying on Moore's law just to create next generation eye candy. That coupled with the fact most PC games seem to ship broken now and require the download of PATCHES using some annoying online PATCH delivery system that requires more patches itself to work, it's a wonder there is still a market for PC games!

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 am

RocketRanger wrote:it's a wonder there is still a market for PC games!
There will always be a market for PC games as long as there are sufferers of the condition known as consolephobia, like myself. :)

But I agree in the whole with the sentiment that the games market is largely suffering from staleness. Most producers spend vast budgets on people preparing uberspiffymega-graphics and 1,000-speaker surround sound to blow you away, and they're not prepared to risk all that for some upstart game designer and his untried and untested game concept. No, it's go with the flow and churn out last year's top games with a slightly different story and marginally tweaked controls, and people are bound to buy it. Who cares if it gets shelved after 10 minutes and never played again?

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:23 am

There are games that aren't too "consoley" which have been done recently, its just that they don't sell well. I understand your views though Rocketranger, but I think its more to do with the difference between younger gamers nowadays & back then. You can't release Elite on the Xbox in its original form because the younger gamers would say its "old rubbish" & too complicated. For those of us back in the day we would have been in front of this game for hours because we liked our games to be a gamer's game. Nowadays most games are for the masses which means most of what we see is for those who only want a quick blast without ever referring to the instructions. You'd probably have some publications referring to Elite if it were released for the Xbox wihtout modernising it (ie, no Arctic Monkeys soundtrack or mega relaistic graphics) as an anorak's game & those who go into the shops would say the same thing too. Remember, computer gaming was more for the geeky, nerdy or dropout back then (sorry if I insulted anyone on their past & present form, but hey thats why we are all Retrogamers), but since PS1 took off the image of the gamer changed and it suddenly became "cool" for ordinary folk to play these games. There are games being released now that are for veteran gamers and not those who want eye candy or for the ones who play on a casual basis, but maybe out of 200 releases you might only find 4 or 5 to your liking.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:44 pm

Fed up with modern gaming?

100% Yes!
Most new games are completely kak - too may FPS & too many RPG's with shed loads of cut scenes that make it more like watching a movie. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd go to the cinema or rent a DVD from Blockbuster :roll:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:15 pm

I suppose the one good thing about the situation is that you can try out old games that you missed first time around, like some of the old adventure games (BASS, Lure of the Temptress, etc). Is anyone going to buy any games this year? I am looking forward to BioShock (may need an upgrade!!!!). I only had trouble with patches once and that was with KOTOR II, it took 7 months for the right patches to get it going on my PC!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:57 pm

In total agreement about the FPS situation. Is this where gaming is headed?
真・豪鬼

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 am

RocketRanger wrote: PC games would be much better if they didn't ALWAYS require the latest quad-tripple-blop graphics processor with a squillion giga-bytes of internal ram. It would be NICE if developers worked with the current entry specs and made a fun game when developing rather than relying on Moore's law just to create next generation eye candy.
Then their game would look crap and wouldn't sell.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Its always the case with a new console, the first few waves of games are poor, as developers get to grips with what the hardware is capable of. Just think, the PS2 is 6/7 years old, and its only just realised its full potential with God Of War 2 and FFXII