Fed up with Modern Gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GovanGer

Fed up with Modern Gaming

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 am

Hey folks.

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now but I've only just registered.

I've got an Xbox 360 at the moment, but I am completely and utterly bored with modern games.

If it's not Generic WW2 shooter 43 it's Fifa 200X. I am sick of the flashy graphics and non-existent gameplay.

So i've got the old Dreamcast out again and it's like a breath of fresh air!

I'm looking to pick up a Saturn again now as well but it's hard to find any decent games - most shops only have manky copies of Fifa 97!

Is anyone else completely disillusioned with modern gaming?

Spiff

Re: Fed up with Modern Gaming

Post by Spiff » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:46 am

GovanGer wrote: Is anyone else completely disillusioned with modern gaming?
Erm, no. Just like any other era, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff -- although I admit the ratio feels worse these days.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:52 am

Seriously, I think something is wrong with me :D

I was in Gamestation at lunchtime and didn't see a single game that interested me.

I watched the trailer of GTA 4 on their demo screen and just thought "meh"

I got Gears of War when it came out and got bored with it after 2 days.

I bought DiRT a few days ago and sure, it looks pretty. But how come I think Neo Drift Out is more fun?!?

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 am

I know exactly what you mean. Same her, sometimes at least. But for me, there are always games that I'm interested in. The last one was/is The Darkness. Great game in my opinion, those guys at Starbreeze know how to create an immersive First Person Shooter. The next big things for me are Bioshock and Uncharted. And no, Halo's not among them. But I think I'm the only 360 owner who has absolutely no interest in Halo 3. It's so damn generic and these muppet-alien enemies are silly. Only in my opinion :D

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:06 am

Spiff wrote:
Erm, no. Just like any other era, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff -- although I admit the ratio feels worse these days.
I think the chaff is great in number because its too early in any of the current systems life. Another year or two and we should have some blinding titles.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 am

Its all to do with somebody's taste in gaming. I have moaned here before of the state of modern gaming, but I still play games of recent times like Oblivion, Battlefield 2, etc... There are good games out there done lately, you have to just have to look a bit harder. Best do some research on some underrated titles rather than go for the mainstream franchise million selling ones that are always advertised on TV and shop front windows

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 am

sleeper77 wrote:Best do some research on some underrated titles rather than go for the mainstream franchise million selling ones that are always advertised on TV and shop front windows
I agree. I've really been surprised by how much I've enjoyed some games that received lukewarm reviews. Maybe it's because I had lower expectations, maybe it's because I hoiked them out of the bargain bin, or maybe some of these games exhibit certain old-school-ish game-play elements that don't go down well with the big-name review sites, but are just fine with me.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:07 am

Sure there's the odd gem, but in all reality modern gaming is fairly stale, with sequels and borrowed gameplay mechanics the norm.

Then again, maybe that's just because I'm a jaded old retro gamer. :wink:
真・豪鬼

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:35 am

GovanGer wrote:Hey folks.

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now but I've only just registered.

I've got an Xbox 360 at the moment, but I am completely and utterly bored with modern games.

If it's not Generic WW2 shooter 43 it's Fifa 200X. I am sick of the flashy graphics and non-existent gameplay.

So i've got the old Dreamcast out again and it's like a breath of fresh air!

I'm looking to pick up a Saturn again now as well but it's hard to find any decent games - most shops only have manky copies of Fifa 97!

Is anyone else completely disillusioned with modern gaming?

YES!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 am

There are a number of factors to this, though, including a lack of innovation in the industry and the fact that many people here are old gits who've seen many games before. Kids these days simply haven't experienced as much and so what appears like a tired concept to us might appeal more to them.

That said, I finally had a go on a Wii (bowling and Raving Rabbids) and found that great fun, and the DS still gets a good, regular workout.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:49 am

Lorfarius wrote:
Spiff wrote:
I think the chaff is great in number because its too early in any of the current systems life. Another year or two and we should have some blinding titles.
In my eyes the chaff consists of the oversubscribed genres such as FPSs, on-foot TPSs (basically FPSs from a differentt angle!), street racers, GTA clones and stealth. You can do anything with videogames, especially with the power of the newest machines, yet most game strive to either recreate something from real life or bring a fiction scenario to realistic life.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 am

CraigGrannell wrote:There are a number of factors to this, though, including a lack of innovation in the industry and the fact that many people here are old gits who've seen many games before. Kids these days simply haven't experienced as much and so what appears like a tired concept to us might appeal more to them.

That said, I finally had a go on a Wii (bowling and Raving Rabbids) and found that great fun, and the DS still gets a good, regular workout.

I got mixed feelings for my Wii. On one side I have great times with mates playing Wii-Sports or Wario Ware. On the other side too many of the games that are released are worse versions of "normal" games. Shooters are a drag because of the slow turning-speed and many other games just try too hard to use the new controls. Right at the moment, the Wii catches dust in my living room. The console simply needs more games that are truly made for the controller. But I'm sure they will...hopefully... :)

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:59 am

I'm not convinced about the Wii.

Too many of the games seem to be "let's release the same game as on PS2, but with the fun feature of having to wave a stick to control it!"

davrho

Post by davrho » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 am

To be honest i think the 360 moderm gaming has me playing more than ever. I have never liked a racing car game since sega rally on the saturn now i have 4 wanting my intention.
The hd experience and surround sound quality adds some atmosphere to the games now. Cant count how many times i jumped out my skin playing fear.
The latest generation although the games are mostly upgrades kicks the crap out of ps2 and x box.
My only issue is finding time to play the games.

It is school holidays, the weather is rotten and the kids still have not set the wii up. 3 weeks since its last play.
Did someone mention age? :lol:

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 am

GovanGer wrote:I'm not convinced about the Wii.
Neither am I -- and I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Just as the domination of FPSs, racers etc wastes the potential of videogames in general, Wii games so far make unspectacular use of the motion-sensing technology, reducing it to a mini-game tool, tilt device or novelty manner to perform what would normally done with a button-press. I want unusual, innovative games to match the unusual innovative controllers!

So at the moment my Wii's only good for retro games.