Manhunt

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Do you like Manhunt 1 , the original game?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 pm

yes
8
30%
no
5
19%
never played it
14
52%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Manhunt

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:10 pm

This original games was the subject of some controversy , and divides opinion - some love it , some hate it

Personally , I love it - one of the few games that truly rewards stealthy play , by allowing you to commit more 'creative' executions. Whether you think that is sick or not pretty much determines if you like the game

I actually think that Soldier Of Fortune 2 is one game , if there are any , that deserves to be censored , as this game had you committing copious acts of violence (particularly with the shot gun ) as it positions your character with the moral high ground
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Tenchu is probably the most fun I've had with a stealth game. I just liked the way it worked.
Couldn't get into Manhunt 1, and I really tried but after an hour or two I realised it wasnt going to happen and I haven't touched it since.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:17 pm

I actually found Manhunt really tense , when you were stood in the shadows , a badguy would come walking right up close to you , staring into the darkness - scary!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
P-Head
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Vault 13

Post by P-Head » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Yep, really enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would.

User avatar
Freshmetal
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:11 am
Location: Plymouth, UK
Contact:

Post by Freshmetal » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:44 pm

I did enjoy playing through it, but thought it was over-hyped (and to be honest, I'm not fussed about the sequel).

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I didn't enjoy it, but not because it was too gorey, I just though it was a bit dull.

That said, as the other thread will tell you, I'm VERY disturbed by the censoring of the sequel.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:58 am

I bought it on first release and thought it was a bit rubbish..
I went back to it a year(ish) later and played it again, I spent a bit of time getting the "feel" of the game and I really liked it...

I am hoping I will be able to import number 2 from somewhere...?

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 am

Opa-Opa wrote:I bought it on first release and thought it was a bit rubbish..
I went back to it a year(ish) later and played it again, I spent a bit of time getting the "feel" of the game and I really liked it...

I am hoping I will be able to import number 2 from somewhere...?
The thing is , you have to get used to the stealth-play of the game.It can be a bit awkward at first , and the instructions don't help (but I liked the style of the instruction book). Once you suss out how to hide , and are able to achieve level 3 executions , the game gets a lot more interesting
In fact it's a reward of progress in the game to find new 'tools' for your work
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:17 am

Unlikely at this point, it's officially delayed everywhere now. You'll only see the uncut version via someone leaking it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:26 am

Yup - What P.M said....

I think it's a well made game, set in a complete fantasy world and very different to most games out there. Tenchu is the closest to Manhunt I guess, but set in a completey different time and place...
I play games to take me somewhere else, people who read a lot of books often say the same thing, and I want to be taken to lots of different places, some of them nasty, dirty places... Manhunt fits into a very specific shaped hole in my games collection.

Dudley - Bugger :( really wanted to see how well the Wiimote worked when hiding in the shadows, apparently you needed to stand really still, if it detected any movement from the controller it incressed the chance of the "guards" spotting you..? Clever I thought..

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:38 am

If an uncut version gets leaked I'd imagine it'll be the PC one so yeah, never mind.

I may have to take another look at the first game then.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:38 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Yup - What P.M said....

I think it's a well made game, set in a complete fantasy world and very different to most games out there. Tenchu is the closest to Manhunt I guess, but set in a completey different time and place...
I play games to take me somewhere else, people who read a lot of books often say the same thing, and I want to be taken to lots of different places, some of them nasty, dirty places... Manhunt fits into a very specific shaped hole in my games collection.

Dudley - Bugger :( really wanted to see how well the Wiimote worked when hiding in the shadows, apparently you needed to stand really still, if it detected any movement from the controller it incressed the chance of the "guards" spotting you..? Clever I thought..
That sounds awesome - if you're nervous or shaking slightly , there's more chance the guard will see you - which makes you even more prone to nervous movement. What a fantastic way in which to use the wii-mote - I would never even have thought of such a thing
Last edited by paranoid marvin on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 am

Dudley wrote: I may have to take another look at the first game then.
You might still hate it, it's a really slow starter.
The instructions tell you nothing but they do seem to be part of the game somehow, you can imagine it being found littering the street your standing on..
It just shows you the basics at the start and leaves you to get on with it.
I am an arrogant MH player, I use the fact that I'm far more clever than those idiot guards, I hide in the shadows and throw a stone or tap the wall so they come running over like inbred morons thinking they have the skill and tallent to kill me.. The dirty little runts, how dare they.!!
I normally end up tearing their head off clean off with an old bit of wire found laying around and then dump the body in the shadows...
Survival of the fittest

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:06 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Dudley wrote: I may have to take another look at the first game then.
You might still hate it, it's a really slow starter.
The instructions tell you nothing but they do seem to be part of the game somehow, you can imagine it being found littering the street your standing on..
It just shows you the basics at the start and leaves you to get on with it.
I am an arrogant MH player, I use the fact that I'm far more clever than those idiot guards, I hide in the shadows and throw a stone or tap the wall so they come running over like inbred morons thinking they have the skill and tallent to kill me.. The dirty little runts, how dare they.!!
I normally end up tearing their head off clean off with an old bit of wire found laying around and then dump the body in the shadows...
Survival of the fittest
I guess we shouldn't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the original through yet - but what do you think of the final boss fight - over too quickly or a satisfying ending ? Reminded me a bit of the fim 8mm
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote: I guess we shouldn't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the original through yet - but what do you think of the final boss fight - over too quickly or a satisfying ending ? Reminded me a bit of the fim 8mm
Not made it to the end, I don't often feel like being in that dark, nasty place but I am working my way through slowly.

Funny you should mention 8mm - The two have a very similar feel and both take you to a nasty place. Thats a really good comparison, if this were the popular panel game Qi, I'm sure Mr Fry would award you a bonus point for that one :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests