Gamestation - Con or Bargains

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:30 am

just to confirm ive just rung GS , lancaster , for a trade in on an xbox 360 premium pack , they said they'd obviously have to check it first but it would be worth £175.00 , they cant trade them at £250 , they cannot by law lose money , it would go against the shareholders rights etc. Maybe you got lucky , do you work there or just a big fan of them mootown. Like i said above its choice of the person whether he / she wants to trade there item , i just think they offer little and usually overprice.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:05 am

That's interesting, because the official system price is £250 trade, £230 cash, £279.99 retail. And just to check, I phoned Lancaster to see if they are experiancing any system difficulties and they confirmed that price. Just interested if you definatly phoned Gamestation and not Game or another store? And there are no shareholders other than Blockbuster who currently own 100% of the shares....

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 am

Thing with retro games is they no longer have a set retail value. Its all about how badly you want it and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Good/bad value in terms of the quality of a game/system is a tricky one simply because people have vastly different opinions on different retro games. I suppose the only real measures of value is rarity and condition.

Gamestation seem to stock their stores purely from boot sales and ebay so that has to be the cheapest way to go if you want bargain prices.
Any extra you pay for titles in Gamestation is something you need to weigh against the time and effort it would take to find the same product elsewhere (how much is several weeks/months searching ebay and 4 hours a week walking around a field in the rain worth to you?).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

sparky

Re:

Post by sparky » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 am

FatTrucker wrote:Thing with retro games is they no longer have a set retail value. Its all about how badly you want it and how much you are willing to pay for it.
Exactly,

What one person is willing to pay for an item, another considers a ripoff.

But at the same time , if you're after an item but know very little about the market value, a little investigation won't hurt and can help when considering a purchase.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:25 am

so theyd be willing to lose money trading at £250 ? and selling at £279 strange , do you think the shareholders would allow this (blcokbusters) , and yes i can confirm it was the lancaster branch of GS.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:10 am

Yeah it is weird, but it's the current pricing set-up. Not sure about the VAT implications on pre-owned goods, but hey it's not something I generally have to deal with......

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:03 am

Maybe they dont like me :( .

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:37 am

I'm sure they are lovely people really :)

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:53 am

sirclive1 wrote:Maybe they dont like me :( .
Or maybe someone's trying to pocket the difference... :wink:

(DISCLAIMER: My experiences with Gamestation have generally been very positive and I have found the staff to be helpful and kind and am sure that they would never be involved in anything illegal or immoral such as ripping off their employer. The above comment was a joke. You know, A JOKE)

(phew...glad I got that in)
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 am

I took in a TV Tuner (boxed and complete, mint condition) for the GBA, they said they'd give me 50p trade for it! I declined. Most stuff in the Brighton branch is overpriced. Thing that annoys me is things are piled up in glass cabinets so you can only see the front item and none of the titles behind. Its about the only shop in town though these days where you'll find anything retro though.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:41 am

Mootown wrote:That's interesting, because the official system price is £250 trade, £230 cash, £279.99 retail. And just to check, I phoned Lancaster to see if they are experiancing any system difficulties and they confirmed that price. Just interested if you definatly phoned Gamestation and not Game or another store? And there are no shareholders other than Blockbuster who currently own 100% of the shares....
And last I checked the Blockie system takes em at £220, and GS' prices for this kind of stuff are usually slightly more.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:08 pm

my local gamestation (tamworth) is selling a zx spectrum+2 for £30 with a couple of games and a joystick is this good value or should i offer them £15 for it 8)
Press play on tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Doesn't matter about quantity of games,but which titles.

Chances are they'll be crap,but not important as you can pick up plenty of classics on ebay quite cheap

Also be aware that +2 isn't entirely compatible with old 48k games,but worth having for enhanced 128k games

Look out for enhanced 128k Robin'o'the Wood , Target Renegade , Magic Knight games ,Starglider and especially Where Time Stood Still

£25 for a piece of history is a bargain!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:20 pm

Dont any of you guys have GS retro stores near you. I have one and it must be said its not bad at all. It always has a decent supply of retro and not the common stuff (SNES,MD). The one up by me has Vectrex, Neo Geo AES, MSX and loads of others.Also the person that posted if they dont scan the staff make the price up.Thats deffo against company policy they are supposed to phone the buying department. And someone their will give a price.

william

Post by william » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 pm

my local GS(edinburgh) isn't too bad for retro and 'other',but sometimes the pricing seems to be erratic for certain games

i've managed to pick up a few virtual boy games in excellent condition for £3 each,also picked up a few game gear carts for 3 for £5(same offer price for most unboxed carts for different machines),also picked up a few bargain priced ST/Dreamcast/Megadrive games,but,on the other hand they charged me £32 for a 2nd hand Res evil for the GC 2 months after it was released without any instructions(what a con)so took it back.
i also visit newcastle's store sometimes and notice there prices are a bit steep(£5 each for a game gear cart).