Gamestation - Con or Bargains

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Randall Flagg

Gamestation - Con or Bargains

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:39 pm

I remember Gamestation getting a slagging off on the previous RG forums.

I recently went into one and went through the storage boxes of old console games placed hap hazzardly arround the store under the main game shelves.

Admittedly most of the games were old megadrive sports sims but did manage to find a few reasonable carts with boxes for the megadrive and master system.

Bargained them down so that the cost was approx £1.50 a piece.

I dunno if this is the same in all Game Stations, Certainly i wouldn't have touched any of their retro consoles as they seemed vastly overpriced (except for a "Multi Mega" for £25) but is the popular opinion still that Gamestation is a rip off?
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 pm

I think it all depends on the perespective you look at it from. At the end of the day, they are running a business and have a lot of overheads to pay for that Ebay sellers don't have. They need to make as much of a profit margin on their used games as they do on their new games, otherwise they are wasting shelf space.

Granted, the consoles are certainly above market value in most cases, but nothing beats finding a game you've been looking for for ages for £1.99. :)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:28 am

My gamestation has a copy of Secret of mana on the snes for sale. The box is well and truely FUBAR'ed and they want £60 quid for it... CON.!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:29 am

Gamestation seem to not take the condition of the box into account when pricing up their games
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 am

Both - every GS seems to have a battered sun bleached secret of mana in the window for £50 - £60 yet you can get some decent bargains like a GP32 for £30 (boyo got that) and I got capcom vs marvel 1 & 2 for the DC £4.99

also got mario64, goldeneye, and diddykong racing (loose) for £5 out of a sale bin - happy days

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:51 am

If the overprice items, then they will have to eventually reduce them when nobody buys them. Our local store has reduced most of the Megadrive/SNES stock lately.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:21 am

I agree with the consensus. Some of the stuff I've seen is a con (unboxed Dark Arms for the NGPC - £30) but I've also been a happy customer a few times.

I feel it's a bit like a battle of wits - you have to go in and try and outsmart them by picking up bargains before they cotton on to what things are really worth and double the asking price.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:28 am

The couple of branches I go most regularly (Birmingham, Telford, Kings Lynn) have a fairly good selection of retro games, and they do B.O.G.O.F on retro games under £10. I've never bought any 2nd hand hardware from them though.

When I got my DS from the King's Lynn branch, they had ran out of the free extras pack that was supposed to be bundled with it, and I managed to talk them into giving me a £15 discount on anything else in store. (I got Guardian Heroes for £14.99) :D

It's been a while since I exchanged any games, but I think Gamestation do the best trade-in prices on the high street. The best ever for me was £70 for 6 Xbox/Gamecube games which I used in part exchange for a new slimline PS2.
Last edited by The Penultimate Ninja on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:29 am

I guess it's just a question of how fussy you are. I only buy boxed with instructions and GS seem to always over price anything that is complete.
Maybe if I looked at the unboxed, incomplete "junk" they have then I might find what some people consider to be a bargin....

I would never pay for an incomplete item.. no matter how "rare" it is ment to be. I guess I am REALLY fussy ;)

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:30 am

revgiblet wrote:
I feel it's a bit like a battle of wits - you have to go in and try and outsmart them by picking up bargains before they cotton on to what things are really worth and double the asking price.
Thats the key - there is also inevitabley 1 mong working there - just make sure you go in when they are working, pricing up a big box of retro stuff :wink:

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:39 am

My local branch is mixed too - always seems to have several million Gamecube wrestling games for a fiver.

In a very small area there are three shops - Game, Gamestation and Gametron Exchange. Happy days :)

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:40 am

koopa42 wrote:
revgiblet wrote:
Thats the key - there is also inevitabley 1 mong working there - just make sure you go in when they are working, pricing up a big box of retro stuff :wink:
:lol: I did similar in HMV once, when KOTOR had just come out on the PC I saw one copy that some fool had labelled up as 'Jedi Knight: Dark Forces' for £9.99. So I picked it up and took it to the counter with the dumbest looking bored saturday-job cashier I could find.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:19 pm

i say both too

occasionly somethings over hyped
somethings are a bargin

i noticed on sunday they had a snes mario kart loose cart for £24.99 LOOOOOL
all the good snes games are steep, the general ones are norally £2.99
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

James A

Post by James A » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:18 pm

I'd generally say both but im more inclined at the moment to say rip off. The two i mainly use are Wrexham and Chester and they both seem to be very expensive with regards to all their stuff at the moment especially pushing up the prices on alot of the Gamecube titles.

Saying that i have had some bargins. I got copies of Symphony Of The Night and Grandia 2 for the DC for £22 alltogether. The idiot behind the counter said that the discs were heavily scratched but i wasn't to fused as i had a disk cleaner. Imagine my delight when i got home to find out he'd given me the wrong discs and both were in pretty much mint condition.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:24 pm

If they can get away with it then they'll rip you off. I said this on the old RG forums it's been there for that long... in the Hanley branch, there's an unboxed Sega Nomad in the window for £159.99 thats been there that long, the price has totally faded and you can barely see it. They do make mistakes sometimes though.
Xbox Live: RetroBob