Favourite Strategy Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AC

Post by AC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Does worms count? If so, that! :D

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Maybe you would like to try this, MPM:

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

Pretty true to the original from what I've experienced thus far.

russgalleywood

Re:

Post by russgalleywood » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:45 pm

markopoloman wrote:Only one for me...............

Total Anihilation.

Roll on SUPREME COMMANDER......................
Glad to hear it! I still play it regularly against friends across the Net, if you are interested there are many third-party unit packs to download for TA. The most well known I think is called the TAUCP and contains several hundred new units and different UI's for the computer opponent.

Sometimes the old ones are still the best ones! TA was a far superior game to 'Command & Conquer' in my opinion.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Was up in the old games room tonight standing there just looking around and on my PC shelf saw a great big Total Anihilation box set I forgot I had. Must have picked it up at a boot fair at some point because it was boxed and complete (Thats all it takes with me..).
Might give it a try if people rate it, always enjoyed multi - player command and conquer on the playstation using the link cable and two portable T.Vs set back to back across a table...

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:31 am

Total Anihilation is very good - but I'm not sure why. It follows a pretty standard RTS template and still supports 'Tank Rush' tactics, but TA, Cossacks and Warlords Battlecry II are the only RTS's I've got installed at the moment.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 am

russgalleywood wrote:Thanks Sureshot.
Remebered another one too, Player Manager on the Amiga if it counts, only football management game I ever got into.
Classic game. Me and my mate played that game tons, our own playermanager was about 80 years old and speed of 0 but we had to play him or we couldnt play the games. Excellent and very very addictive and a good level of difficulty.

A few ways in which you could always score, one was lobbing the keeper and another nearly always worked when you had a corner. Was always a sad occasion when you had to get rid or sell an old striker who was brilliant for you for many seasons but he now took down the average skill of your team. Great Anco game.

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:11 am

Although Total Annhilation was a very good game I never understood why it wasn't overshadowed by Dark Reign.

Maybe it was the 3d graphics or impressive explosions? For me Dark Reign did everything TA, C&C did but better.

It's a real shame that people won't be able to play Dark Reign again as it's not compatible with anything other than direct x 3, I think.

One of the reasons TA is still so popular today is due to the fact it installs on xp just as well as it did on win 95.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:43 pm

superstarbeejay wrote:Although Total Annhilation was a very good game I never understood why it wasn't overshadowed by Dark Reign.

Maybe it was the 3d graphics or impressive explosions? For me Dark Reign did everything TA, C&C did but better.

It's a real shame that people won't be able to play Dark Reign again as it's not compatible with anything other than direct x 3, I think.

One of the reasons TA is still so popular today is due to the fact it installs on xp just as well as it did on win 95.
I always preferred Red Alert to TAas it was more like playing with toy soldiers.
I loved the squishy sound when you ran someone over in your tank :twisted:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:39 am

Don't get me wrong, I did like C & C and appreciated its more realistic scenario but for me TA won every time, also over Dark Reign.
I feel it had much over both of them, for a start I think it was polygon based which meant collision detection seemed more realistic, this also meant that line of sight worked properly in it long before other similar games could manage it! It had unit grouping and squads earlier too I think and the controls are simply more instinctive for me, the whole game just feels right and still semems as fresh today.
Perhaps I also just preferred the huge robots to little guys with flame throwers, I think I had overdosed on that type with Dune2 on the Amiga!
I think all three of the mentioned genres/games had their place but only TA is still playable today, especially with all the Unit packs you can download, you could never do that in C&C!

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:50 am

There can be only one... Lords of Midnight of course! :)

(Edit: *not* "The Citadel" for DOS which was deeply flawed, but the Speccy, C64 and CPC originals)

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:There can be only one... Lords of Midnight of course! :)

(Edit: *not* "The Citadel" for DOS which was deeply flawed, but the Speccy, C64 and CPC originals)

How about Doomdark?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Glitch

Millennium 2.2 Remake

Post by Glitch » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:25 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:Amiga - Millenium 2.2 and Deuteros stole a lot of hours of my life...
We just finished a PC remake of the Amiga's classic Millennium 2.2 for the 2006 Retro Remakes competition. You can take a look and grab the download from our blog at: http://glitch01.wordpress.com ... Let us know what you think!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm not clear by what is meant by strategy but I liked:

Populous. (God game on the Amiga)

and

Power Kingdoms. (Tactical RPG on the 3DO)

and in case anyone cares - I'm hating every minutes of Full Spectrum Warrior - Damn! Is this game slow or what?

Will

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm

revgiblet wrote:Total Anihilation is very good - but I'm not sure why. It follows a pretty standard RTS template and still supports 'Tank Rush' tactics, but TA, Cossacks and Warlords Battlecry II are the only RTS's I've got installed at the moment.
I want a copy of this, was in GS todayto see if they had it, nope. Had Full Throttle for 99p at buy one get one free though, xp version too.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Total Annihilation was great. And on the Amiga, I loved Mega Lo Mania.