The classic that you hated; the rubbish that you loved

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DanDare

The classic that you hated; the rubbish that you loved

Post by DanDare » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:59 pm

I am sure this thread has been created several times. I did do a search for it (as I did for a DID thread - and I found one!) but I could not find it so I decided to create it. If it has been created before and if you're all sick to the back teeth of stuff like this then feel free to ignore and this will slip ever so silently into the junkyard of abandoned threads.

We love games. If we didn't, we wouldn't be here. Not all games appeal to us though, and many games that are so-called classics just somehow miss. It's frustrating. You've read the reviews, your friends are fawning over it, and you think "I have to get me some of that." You buy the game, load it, play it and...it just doesn't appeal. You think it must just take a little time. It can't be you, can it? You play and you play and the more you play the more you get that sinking feeling that this classic just isn't capturing you. You put it to one side telling yourself you'll give it another go, but you never do.

Likewise you are given/bought a game that had earned scorn from the press. Sure the box looks nice, and the PR machine has you cooked up in glee but you know it's rubbish. Still, you have to give it a go. You think you'll give it five minutes before you have to go to that dentist appointment. You prepare to draw hilarious comparisons to your mates later about the game being more painful than having teeth pulled. You load it up and look for something to scoff at. 'New Game' and you play. Something odd happens to you. You notice that you're actually enjoying it. Another scenario is you buy a game based on cover alone. You've heard nothing of it. You take it home, blast through it and really enjoy it and then to your amazement see that everyone else hates it. It cannot be, can it?

Yes, it can. There are classics in this world that just don't appeal to us, and likewise there are games considered complete junk by others that we adore. The point of this thread is to find out which.

A few rules:

1 - You can nominate as many as you like, but you must keep it even. So if you can think of two 'great' games that you disliked, then try and think of two 'rubbish' games you liked.
2 - Try to keep things in perspective and choose games that are deemed as classics (or at least well liked by the majority) or complete rubbish (or disliked by the majority). No "decent" or "moderate" games please. That defeats the object.
3 - Let's keep this nice and light. No one coming on here with a chilli up their arse because someone has dared criticize their favourite game.
4 - EXPLAIN. Don't just write as many game titles as you can. It's not to see who can come up with the most games but rather to understand the reasons why. MAKE SURE you have reasons.

With that out of the way, I shall start:

Classic Game that I never liked: Elite.

When I first got my PC a copy of Frontier: Elite II was included. I'd never heard of Elite, and Elite II looked awfully dull. One evening I loaded it up and found that I enjoyed it. There was so much to do. You could land on planets, take out bounties, buy new ships and run trading routes. It just seemed like a really alive galaxy and it blew me away. Then I read about Elite. Crucially I heard people telling me that Frontier was not a patch on the original Elite.

I hunted down a PC version of the original and loaded it up. I tried to like it, but I couldn't. It bored me. Not just a little, but a lot. Gone was the diverse worlds of Frontier and it their place rotating space stations. No new ships, no missions. Just a straight A-B run that occasionally had you shooting pirates. I assumed I had a bad port.

I tried the Commodore version next, but found it more the same. Actually I found it difficult due to the wireframe models. I couldn't see anything. I quickly discarded it. Not wanting to give up, I tried the NES version (a version I would try again just a few weeks before). Nope. A friend showed me the Acorn version and that did look pretty good but I still couldn't shake the feeling that this was so vastly inferior to Frontier. I haven't tried the BBC version.

Ultimately Elite bored me. I found it unengaging and difficult to enjoy. I respect Braben and Bell for what they created and I acknowledge the hardware constraints that they worked with but no matter how hard I tried to like it, I couldn't. I kept denying that I hated it, but the truth is I do.

---

Rubbish Game I liked: Roy of the Rovers

I don't like the football element to this game, but I do like the adventure. I got it way back when I had my first Commodore. I was a big Roy of the Rovers fan and I really enjoyed reading the comic book and when I saw the game I just had to have it. At first I found the adventure side a bit bizarre. A game about football with alarmingly little football seemed so odd, but when I delved in I became hooked.

I think what captured me was the fact it was the first game I played where I felt like I had freedom. Yes there were plenty of games like that around at the time, but RoR was my first and it was special. I would later become hooked on adventure games and become a collector of them and this was my first.

It was also the first game I played where you could get mugged, and you could fight anyone you wanted (but you'd lose unless they were baddies). I liked the graphics too, though the music did grate. The shocking thing for me was when I realised, many years later, that the game was panned. No one liked it. I am not talking about a few people either, but I mean practically NO ONE liked the game. I lent to my friends, they hated it. Magazines hated it and it's appeared on various "Top # Worst Games" lists (including ours at the top). I played through it again on emulation and I still love it to this day. I'll never understand why no one likes it, but it'll always be one of the best games I ever played.

---

So there you have it. Elite, a classic game revered by all, disliked by me. Roy of the Rovers, disliked by the majority, yet I like it.

What about you?

Xesh

Re: The classic that you hated; the rubbish that you loved

Post by Xesh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:16 pm

DanDare wrote:Nope. A friend showed me the Acorn version and that did look pretty good but I still couldn't shake the feeling that this was so vastly inferior to Frontier. I haven't tried the BBC version.
What do you mean by the Acorn version of Elite? Do you mean the Electron version? If so that is a cut down version of the Beeb one (it has no missions or Thargoids and less ships). The version of Elite that's widely regarded as the best is Arc Elite for the ARM range of Acorns. It has solid graphics and far more to do (I've got the A3000 version). :) If you want to play a version of Beeb Elite then try the one for second (co) processors. It's faster and has more missions than the standard Beeb version.

The classic game that I hated was Super Marioland on the SNES. Never could get anywhere on that. In fact I don't like any of the Mario games (except for Mario Kart). I have played them but I find them so frustrating.

The crap game that I liked was the Scope6 games on the SNES. You know , the ones that came with the light gun (bazooka). Most of my mates hated that but I liked it. Maybe it was because I could shoot those stupid moles that kept popping up all the time. :twisted:

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes I meant Arc Elite. Sorry, I didn't realise there were two versions. I remember my friend showing me it and he was jumped by pirates and the police came to help him, and then he followed the police to another fight and it did look impressive.

I don't own an Archimedes though and I never actually played the game when I was at his house.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 pm

There's more than two versions. These are most of the commercial Acorn versions:- Beeb, Beeb enhanced (for the second processor), Electron, Master and Arc Elite. There's also a version for the Beeb called Elite-A which is a non-commercial hack of the original Beeb one. It has a higher difficulty level (e.g., Thargoids are very hard to kill), more ships that you can buy and more missions. If you don't have a Beeb you can find emulators at http://www.bbcdocs.com. :)

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:57 am

The Double, from Scanatron on the C64, a football management game with horrible flickering stick figures for players and presentation which made it look like it was programmed in C64 BASIC. Oh, and it was slow!

Yet for some reason I played it to death. I even used a freezer cartridge to edit the names of the players and change them to "current" ones where possible. This was quite tricky as they encoded so that combinations of letters were often represented as special C64 characters, a basic mode of compression.

Sad. :roll: :D