Help please - Final Fantasy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bubbleboy

Help please - Final Fantasy

Post by Bubbleboy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Hello gamers :)

I am searching for a way to get the hold on the Final Fantasy series. I have searched and searched but werent able to find it:
I want to give this to my girl as a christmas present, I will be very happy for any help you can give.

- Is there some sort of retro-console that contain the whole series?
- or does any of the "new" consoles have the series as downloads?
- Any suggestions on how I can make this happen?

In advance - thank you for any help :)

DPrinny

Re: Help please - Final Fantasy

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm

No console has the full series as its still ongoing and the quality of them is all over the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... ideo_games

Bubbleboy

Post by Bubbleboy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you DPrinny

That was sad :(
You have any suggestion on what I could do?
Maybe some retro-console that holds "a few of them" at least?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Bubbleboy wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:38 am
Thank you DPrinny

That was sad :(
You have any suggestion on what I could do?
Maybe some retro-console that holds "a few of them" at least?
Easiest (and cheapest) route is to emulate them.
Pretty much all of them can be

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Just in case you don't know, there is little to no continuity with the games so don't worry about getting them in order.

1-9 are all easy to emulate. You can still buy them all somewhere too, usually on Steam or Mobile, sometimes on consoles. They've all aged terribly though, so some nostalgia pills and rose tinted specs are required.

I'd recommend getting 10 onwards on modern hardware though, as emulation is either difficult (PS2 games) or practically impossible (everything else.)

In particular 11 is only currently playable on PC with an online subscription, so the PC is the only platform that gets all the games. It's easily the most skippable of the modern ones though, with 13 also being regarded as being rather disappointing.

Just getting the rest (or at least as many as your budget allows) for your current platform of choice would make for a nice enough present, I'd think.

Bubbleboy

Post by Bubbleboy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:53 am

Thank you Matt for the helpful information :)

I just ordered a Raspberry PI after after tip from a friend. It`s a complete set including usb-hand controllers.
It will arrive in a few days.
You have any experience with this, will a noob be able to put the pieces together and start downloading games to it you think?

If I was able to gift this as a nearly complete set of Final Fantasy I know a person that will be very very happy, probably amazed :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

Depending what Pi you are using it might struggle with PlayStation emulation.
Hacked PS3s are a thing, cheap and can run almost all retro FF games as well as other games

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm

FF1-6 will run on practically anything. Even a Pi Zero can run NES and SNES emulators well enough to play an RPG.

FF7-9 are all playable on a Pi 2 or above. You just need RetroPie, ISOs and a BIOS ROM. Just don't be expecting stutter-free playback on the cut scenes.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:48 pm

PS mini would play the first 9 with nice front ends complete with cover Art and nice Final Fantasy Wallpaper in game.

Gameboy Advance Final Fantasy 1 and 2 look nicer and play better as it’s much easier as you level up far quicker Etc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 am

If you get a Nintendo DS (The original or the DS Lite) then you can play all the numbered Final Fantasy games up to 6 on the system. 3 is a DS game (and was the first time it had been released outside of Japan) - and all the others were released on the GBA - which can be played on slot 2 of the DS.

There is also the 2 Final Fantast Tactics Advance games (1 on GBA and 1 on DS) - and a couple of other spin-off games (such as FFXII : Revenant Wings) on the DS which can be played.

The original Playstation has all the numbered games up to 9 - not including 3, which is another option - and better for playing on the big screen.
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:58 pm

I'd think that the Vita is a much better bet for playing the old games in handheld mode. It gets all of 1-10 in close to definitive versions that offer graphical and quality of life improvements over the originals which haven't exactly aged well.

For the newer games, the Switch gets HD versions of 7-10 and 12. You can also play the mobile version of 15 on it.

Android and iOS are also an option if your hardware is good and your wallet deep enough, as almost all the games are available in some form. You can even play 13 via streaming if you live in Japan. Still, there are plenty of other good reasons to skip that one.

Bubbleboy

Post by Bubbleboy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Guys, you are extremely informative and helpful, thank you som much!
I`m sorry my reply is a little bit late but I`ve been bussy with work - and I had already purchased the Raspberry PI, so I will keep building on this, with all your other options in hand for the future.

I received the PI and I managed to connect it to my TV :)
For me, as a big noob, this is considered to be "extraordinary".
I`m proud, and I can see my girl smiling in the distance ;)

I had to stop the troubleshooting for the day because I get quickly axhausted when doing this.

I stopped at the point when I wanted to "purchase and download a game, and add it to the PI".
The reason why I stopped is because the videoes I found was explained as if my PI was in wifi - but mine is connected via ethernet cable, so the descriptions didnt add up..

I will continue tomorrow - mission is to add a game to the PI
PI.jpg
PI.jpg (270.25 KiB) Viewed 74 times

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:11 pm

for the most part the way I did it was to "Acquire" the necessary ISO/ROM files, bung them on a stick and it did everything else.

Looks like you might need to adjust the over scan on it as its not on screen properly

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Wired is good. It generally means you get a faster and more reliable connection, plus you get to skip the Wifi setup. So long as you're on your home network it's all the same.

From where you are, all you need to do is download and copy the game images and BIOS files and stick them in the correct folders.

Running from a USB stick rather than the SD card is a good idea generally. There's a guide here:
https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Running-RO ... USB-drive/

Piracy is a touchy subject on here, so don't expect download links. However, anyone asking you to purchase emulator images will just be pocketing the money. If you want to buy the games legitimately do it for the platforms suggested above.

Bubbleboy

Post by Bubbleboy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:32 am

Thank you :)

I definetly want to purchase the games and do it "the right way".
I would also like to try downloading to a usb stick from my computer - Will I need a new stick or may I use an old one that already contains a lot of other stuff?

Say I want to start off with Final Fantasy 3, could anyone tip me on a safe place to purchase and download it?
I want to just start with one game and see it working before I go any further :)

And as a real noob I need to ask - after the game i downloaded to the stick, I just insert the stick into the PI and it will run, or do I have to do some work on the files in there first?