Favourite Football Management simulation?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

keedor

Favourite Football Management simulation?

Post by keedor » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:43 pm

The football management simulation has always been a favourite with fans ever since Kevin Toms pioneered the mega-selling original. However, what is everyone's favourite from all those created over the years?

Mine are undoubtedly Player Manager 2 on the Amiga 500 and, for the first PC I owned, LMA Manager - both of which I thought were outstanding. I simply cannot pick between them as they both hold special places in my gaming history!
Last edited by DPrinny on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Every time somebody does an all caps title, a footballer gets injured

mr jenzie

Re: FAVOURITE FOOTBALL MANAGEMENT SIMULATION?

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:39 am

TRACKSUIT MANAGER was fantastic, put a lot of time into it, even creating a scotland team that won games!!!
no it was NOT broken :lol:

and THE FOOTBALL MANAGER too

FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR was a great favourite

but of course the giants of the genre, CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER on the amiga, where i played 14 seasons with manchester united ...
and CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 96/07 with the commentary on ... it took three times as long to go through a match but it was worth it

dipped into FOOTBALL MANAGER a few times over the years

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:00 pm

I've never really played any football management sims - unless you count toying around with "Endzone" on the Amstrad CPC, which was an American Football management game and didn't have a massive selection of players or teams to play with (I will admit to modifying the ingame memory to give myself a maxed out team skill-wise though - easy enough to do if you knew how, lol)
Where logic won't work, I will

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:55 am

Tracksuit Manager was my favourite
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RichL

Re: Favourite Football Management simulation?

Post by RichL » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Still got a save from Championship Manager 93 going. I think you start at age 37 in the game, I’m now something like 77 so played 40 seasons.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:30 pm

I've been spending a lot of time with the Kevin Toms original both on the BBC Micro and the Android reboot and one thing that strikes me about it is that the simplicity of the formula gives the user a lot more control than the supposedly more advanced games that are overbloated with features that don't add anything to the game and make the user feel like he's doing something when he's not.

You and the opposing team have the five basic variables (energy, morale, defence, midfield and attack) which each have a number between 1 and 20. You are able to adjust the numbers in each category by how you organise the players in your squad; each player is either a defender, midfielder or attacker with a skill rating between 1 and 5 and a fitness rating between 1 and 20. It's up to you to organise your team in the way that gives you the best chance of beating the opposition. The computer then calculates the result.

It's effectively a card game with the computer as the dealer. At the start of every season, the computer shuffles the deck with your squad and that 5 rated player from last season is a 1 now and it's up to you to offload the dead wood and take Hobson's choice from the single player (or card) you are offered at the end of every match and gradually build your team up again. There are other factors that make the game more difficult like injuries and a lack of players with a certain rating or position and it's up to you to make the best of it.

I recommend skill level 5 out of 7 for an immersive playing experience.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:12 pm

I really loved the original Kevin Toms game. It just struck the right balance between feeling involved and not having to do a huge amount of micromanagement. Even with the crap graphics, the match highlights still hold some real tension to them.

On the other hand, the Champsionship Manager series - which later morphed into the modern Football Manager - is impressive for the sheer depth even if it plays a bit like a spreadsheet at times. Actual clubs used its database for scouting purposes and I'm pretty sure that at least one real world manager has been hired on the basis of knowing how to play it well.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:12 pm
On the other hand, the Champsionship Manager series - which later morphed into the modern Football Manager - is impressive for the sheer depth even if it plays a bit like a spreadsheet at times. Actual clubs used its database for scouting purposes and I'm pretty sure that at least one real world manager has been hired on the basis of knowing how to play it well.
I've spent a lot of time with this as well; particularly 99/00 and 01/02 and for realism it's hard to beat it. I gave up on the series when they introduced user purchasable in-game features like "dodgy lasagnes" to weaken the opposition because it seemed all too easy for SI to rig the game engine to push the user towards them.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:34 pm

I've never been a football fan, but I remember playing Championship Manager and Tracksuit Manager way back when on the Speccy and they were fun!
Press Play On Tape

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 pm

I used to enjoy a football management game on the Dragon 32 called Champions! I enjoyed it so much I even bought a second hand copy recently. Now I just need the computer to play it on lol.
These days I enjoy Kevin Toms Football Manager on my android phone. The same basic game but so easy to use and includes the stickman highlights.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 am

Currently playing Premier Manager 2 on the Amiga. I don't like the game interface in PM3 and PM2 has a tougher game engine compared to the first game so this one is my pick of the bunch. This isn't a fashionable opinion but I think at this stage PM offers a more realistic experience than the Championship Manager games; there are a lot more options for you to tweak in terms of tactics both pre-game and in-game and the completed pass and tackle ratios for each player are more specific and actionable in-game than CM's 1 to 10 rating system. CM didn't really take off until CM3 IMO.

My first football management game was Premier Manager 97 on the Sega Mega Drive which is a repackaged version of the original PM game on the Amiga. Put an insane amount of hours into this back in the day!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am

Loved the original Football Manager back in the day, funny looking back at it as its soooo slow the way it did the results or league table. Me and my dad got addicted to it, even took the Speccy on a holiday to Cornwall to play it some of the evenings. Great times

Championship Manager i loved but i 'did a Chelsea' and found a cheat to get millions so used to have an all star squad.

The game i loved the best was Player Manager on the Amiga. Me and my mate were about 15 or so and used to write down the stats at the end of the season etc, so geeky ! We left the main 'Player manager' always playing so didnt retire him so we could always play the games (Granted when the old player manager got the ball at 70 years old he hardly moved) but played that game a ton.

As English Invader pointed out i'm enjoying Kevin Toms revamped version and it was great to chat to him a few years back at one of the huge Play Expo's in Manchester. Top bloke. But great times playing these games, quite like the casual type of simulation game nowadays rather than one with way too much detail.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:48 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am
Loved the original Football Manager back in the day, funny looking back at it as its soooo slow the way it did the results or league table. Me and my dad got addicted to it, even took the Speccy on a holiday to Cornwall to play it some of the evenings. Great times
The BBC Micro version runs a lot faster and IMO it's the best version of the game.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:26 pm

I used to enjoy World Soccer League on the Amstrad CPC. I probably played Championship Manager 00/01 more than anything so that's my favourite, but maybe 01/02 was the best before the series became too in depth for me to enjoy it. 01/02 is legally available for free with updated leagues and squads. I have been tempted, but I'm not 20 any more and think it'd be too much of timesink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:00 am

English Invader wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:48 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am
The BBC Micro version runs a lot faster and IMO it's the best version of the game.
Never heard that before. An old game like Football Manager though you tend to love it due to the first machine you played it on. The basic fonts, the crude sound effects and most of all the memories is why i love this game on the Speccy. Bit like the Betamax vs VHS debate, might be better on the BBC but forever it'll be known as the classic on the Speccy with those dire graphics but back then people loved it. Obviously looks old as anything now but still has a huge nostalgia value