Panasonic 3D0

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

learnedrobb

Re: Panasonic 3D0

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:34 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 pm
Emulate?
It's still not a great experience to emulate the 3DO. The best emulator is closed-source and in Russian, and the best Retroarch core hasn't been maintained in years and has poor audio which is a bit of a shame given how the soundtracks are the best things going for a lot of the games.
The Russian 3do emulator, Phoenix, has an English patch. I use it frequently for video capture purposes, and it plays the vast majority of games very well.

You can see it in my video review here:

https://youtu.be/BsibZycvYkc
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:51 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 pm
Emulate?
It's still not a great experience to emulate the 3DO. The best emulator is closed-source and in Russian, and the best Retroarch core hasn't been maintained in years and has poor audio which is a bit of a shame given how the soundtracks are the best things going for a lot of the games.
4DO?
I emulated a few games to see what they are like a few months back, was stable and ran all the games I tried on it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Phoenix is the Russian one, 4DO the older one with the audio issues.

Just to clarify, they both work to the extent that games are playable. You just don't get particularly accurate emulation or the mod cons you can usually expect for more mainstream systems, so you generally would have a lot more fun with the real hardware.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 am

I remember going to the local indie store and buying one the week of release, 379.99. Still have the receipt.
It came with total recall and seeing the fmv loading screen blew me away.
I think a lot of the games ported to PC so there aren't many exclusive games. Captain Quazar , TRIPD , Killing Time , Twisted, Zhadnost Peoples Party were all fun.
There were far too many fav titles that were basically Dragons Lair type press the button now games.
I spent hours on Mad Dog Mcree even with the pad.

Ive still got it in the attic somewhere and the games. the games seem to go for a pretty penny these days. Recently sold Way of the Warrior and Star Wars Rebel Assault for more than I paid originally.

Good Times though..

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Oh, the price of 3DO games has been steadily rising for the past couple of years. I picked up a few titles for well under £20 that are regularly going for more than that now.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:41 am

learnedrobb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm
Oh, the price of 3DO games has been steadily rising for the past couple of years. I picked up a few titles for well under £20 that are regularly going for more than that now.
A bit like MegaCd games too, a few years ago i was buying them for just a few pounds from places like Gamestation and ebay.
Ive amassed about 70 or 80 of them for not much money but now i see even the more common titles going for £30/40 plus and the rarer ones going for stupid money ,
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:45 am

I remember buying Mega Drive games for £1.99 in Game, and they even did BOGOF on them!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:44 am

Same here , both Game and Gamestation did the same , lots of my boxes still have the bogof stickers on inc 3DO and Megacd ones.
You dont see bargains like that anymore unfortunatly,
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 am

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 pm
Thinking about it, even Road Rash was ported to the PS1. Does anybody know if there is much difference between it and the 3DO original? I want to play it again but don't want to buy another 3DO!
The game is also available on the Sega Saturn.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

English Invader wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 am
Megamixer wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 pm
Thinking about it, even Road Rash was ported to the PS1. Does anybody know if there is much difference between it and the 3DO original? I want to play it again but don't want to buy another 3DO!
The game is also available on the Sega Saturn.
Yeah, that rings a bell. Unfortunately, I sold my Saturn a long time ago - pretty much everything I wanted to play on it was either stupidly rare or stupidly expensive so my collection was never able to grow.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:04 am

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Yeah, that rings a bell. Unfortunately, I sold my Saturn a long time ago - pretty much everything I wanted to play on it was either stupidly rare or stupidly expensive so my collection was never able to grow.
Various ISO loaders exist for the Saturn if you want to just play stuff

One does exist for the 3DO, but....
Это может быть немного глупо, чтобы получить в свои руки

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:45 pm

You don't need an ISO loader for the 3DO.

Just burn the iso to a CD-R. Job done.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:10 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:45 pm
You don't need an ISO loader for the 3DO.

Just burn the iso to a CD-R. Job done.
True, but its nice to be able to just select and play a game without having a load of CD-Rs.
Its also bloody expensive, but its not like he has competition

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am

Not that I've ever done it (with any console) but I tend to agree that iso loaders and related mods are the way to go. These old machines are going to break down eventually, especially the 90's era CD-based consoles. I used to just buy cheap console-only units and swap out drives, lasers etc. but those days are long gone, especially with the likes of the 3DO (and even the Saturn) which you can no longer justify cannabilising for parts.

Maybe it's just me, but I used to get paranoid about hammering a retro machine and putting too many more "miles" on it's clock, especially anything related to moving parts i.e. disc drives, lasers etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am
Not that I've ever done it (with any console) but I tend to agree that iso loaders and related mods are the way to go. These old machines are going to break down eventually, especially the 90's era CD-based consoles. I used to just buy cheap console-only units and swap out drives, lasers etc. but those days are long gone, especially with the likes of the 3DO (and even the Saturn) which you can no longer justify cannabilising for parts.

Maybe it's just me, but I used to get paranoid about hammering a retro machine and putting too many more "miles" on it's clock, especially anything related to moving parts i.e. disc drives, lasers etc.
And that's why I do most of my 3DO gaming through emulation. I roll out the actual hardware for "special occasions".