Super Mario 35th Anniversary

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Super Mario 35th Anniversary

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 am

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:44 pm
And it's already the second biggest selling game of the year just on the pre-orders:

https://www.ign.com/articles/super-mari ... me-of-2020

I'd be rather hoping that the takeaway for Nintendo is that lots of people will jump on a value compilation of evergreen classics though, rather than it just being about the dubious limited run marketing technique.
Well, they've basically morphed months (likely more) of potential/inevitable future sales of this game into Day One purchases with their FOMO tactics. Pretty sure most hotly-anticipated games would boast similarly impressive pre-order sales if publishers used Nintendo's tactics...

Still, when people are surprised about Nintendo using such dubious marketing tactics, I like to remind them that Nintendo began as a toy company and we know that the toy business used to use supply "shortage" tactics all the time (not sure if they still do?). Buzz Lightyear action figures anyone?

All of that said, limited the existence of a digital version makes absolutely no sense. There's no logical/collector-based reason to do so, so it should be obvious to anybody that Nintendo are just being d!cks.
Not defending Nintendo - however, which big business doesnt use dodgy marketing tactics? Down to consumers to not buy into it.

I mean, look at Sony and the PS5 - limited supply at launch.

It does seem a weird thing for nintendo to do - not sure what the end game is
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:39 am

The most limited release they did (which I thankfully have) would have been Zelda 4-Swords Anniversary Edition for the Zelda series 25th anniversary - it was only available for a couple of months on the DSi and has never been available since to my knowledge

The downside is nobody else I know ever got a copy of the game, which is currently sitting on my 3DS after being transferred over from my old DSi (which later went to a friend's kid)
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:22 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:39 am
The most limited release they did (which I thankfully have) would have been Zelda 4-Swords Anniversary Edition for the Zelda series 25th anniversary - it was only available for a couple of months on the DSi and has never been available since to my knowledge

The downside is nobody else I know ever got a copy of the game, which is currently sitting on my 3DS after being transferred over from my old DSi (which later went to a friend's kid)
They later re-released it on the 3DS, in 2014, although that was also only a limited time offering so good luck finding many people with a copy of it.

Still, at least it's got a single player mode unlike the original GBA release.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 am

Sir Lency has Pre-Ordered the Super Mario 3-pack for the switch even though he doesn't have a Switch Yet!
:cry: I always uncheck the add signature button, looks like this time I have forgotten!!! :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:47 am

Sunshine and Galaxy look great, basically like brand new games, almost as if they were made today.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am

Game are doing a trade-in deal for this, super tempted to bin off BotW to have Galaxy on Switch

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am
Game are doing a trade-in deal for this, super tempted to bin off BotW to have Galaxy on Switch
It will surely be easier and cheaper to buy back BOTW later down the line than Mario.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 am

It didn't exactly turn out too difficult to wait until it had been released and the reviews were in to pick up a copy and I'd also be inclined to take concerns of future scarcity with a pinch of salt given how many copies were pre-ordered.

In this case the reviews were good and the only real gripes seem to be the barebones presentation and the lack of enhancements, particularly in Mario 64, which were pretty obvious prior to the release. Still, it's always good to know that Nintendo didn't stuff up something more serious.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 am

I'm guessing that we won't see Super Mario 64 on any forthcoming Nintendo Online virtual console thing now?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:47 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 am
I'm guessing that we won't see Super Mario 64 on any forthcoming Nintendo Online virtual console thing now?
I've seen speculation that the digital version also being limited hints that Nintendo intend to break the pack up down the line and sell the games individually for more than they would cost to buy all together on this compilation.

Obviously just gossip but I would be shocked if Nintendo didn't upload all three games individually to the store at some point after the collection gets delisted. It's just free money for them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

srj672

Post by srj672 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 am

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:47 pm
slacey1070 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 am
I've seen speculation that the digital version also being limited hints that Nintendo intend to break the pack up down the line and sell the games individually for more than they would cost to buy all together on this compilation.

Obviously just gossip but I would be shocked if Nintendo didn't upload all three games individually to the store at some point after the collection gets delisted. It's just free money for them.
And all of a sudden there's the Galaxy pack of 1 and 2, together for the first time!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 am

The 35 player Mario Brothers battle is fantastic. Gets pretty chaotic when everyone's killing all the enemies and sending them into your game and vice versa.

The Mario Kart is a great idea but from what I've seen it's got a lot of flaws, plus I don't like the idea of having to set it up every time you fancy a game. Perhaps for people with a large empty room with hard floors it's a good idea.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 am

Nice to see GameCube controller support added to Sunshine. Hopefully we get more GC ports in future.