What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Harkatim

Re: What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Post by Harkatim » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog(any platform/any game)

HUGELY overrated and a bit rubbish. Some great music, but everything else is mediocre at best. There are better platformers on Sega hardware that deserve a lot more attention. FIGHT ME!!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:41 pm

I have to disagree with that, yesterday I played through Sonic 1 to completion on the Mega Sg yesterday and had a blast, even got all 6 chaos emeralds for the first time (I've finished it maybe 3 times in my life before).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:35 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:24 am

Bluce ! Sabre Wulf ! You break my heart ;) Not saying i'm right but let me defend it ! Back in 1984 you had so many pretty poor games on the Speccy, at the time they were like 'woah' as many of us had this brand new computer which allowed us to try all these different games and as a kid we imagined something more glorious then these basic User Defined Graphics. Jet Pac at the time felt like an arcade game i had in my room, then Sabre Wulf ! A huge great adventure full of colour and screens, remember thinking how amazing the game was back then.
I got Sabre Wulf early on when I got my speccy (as part of a compilation) so at that point I maybe had 5 or 6 games. I was maybe 11 years old. At that point you generally give games a lot more time than you would today. I must have played it dozens of times but it was rubbish.

Yes, it looks nice and has lovely use of colour. It's smooth too. But, as with a lot of Ultimate games, that is given a lot more focus than the gameplay which is terrible. Aside from the keys (because Ultimate don't care about such things as games being easy or comfortable to play) there are loads of problems. The level design is as cheap as it gets, just a maze. The combat is unsatisfying, random and quite unfair too.

I can't think of anything good to say about it apart from the fact that it's not isometric and it is relatively fast.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Underwurlde on the speccy

played it on Rare replay. I got some enjoyment out of some of the others like atic atac, but underwurlde is awful.

and Mortal Kombat, a Fighting game where every character has the exact same moves apart from the specials.

Harkatim

Post by Harkatim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm

WaveRacer wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm
Underwurlde on the speccy

played it on Rare replay. I got some enjoyment out of some of the others like atic atac, but underwurlde is awful.

and Mortal Kombat, a Fighting game where every character has the exact same moves apart from the specials.
Agreed. Mortal Kombat is truly rubbish - even by the standards of the time.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:32 pm

Lords of Midnight...

... or was that just because I didn't have the manual?
:D
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:56 am

Hhaha yeah good point, that was one game if you got that off your mate on a C90 you were like eh ? Now what ?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:08 am

On the other hand, if you did get the manual it not only told you how to play the game, but the keyboard overlay gave you a quick reference for the controls, a short story in it set the scene while you were waiting for the game to load, and the map on the back gave you a few hints as to where to go.

I'd hold it up as one of the best video game manuals ever.