What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Thats a good one, Moon Cresta, looks the part but wow, such a big miss, just horrible to play.
Golden Axe, well I never actually thought of that until I realised yeah thats actually pretty annoying to be honest and I never play it, I wouldnt say its rubbish though.
Altered Beast I find disappointing as opposed to rubbish, just the gameplay doesnt take off, just meanders along annoyingly.
But I see a lot of games people dont like as opposed to being rubbish, as mentioned already, I also dont understand the fanfare over the likes of FF (Anything), Warcraft, The Sims, Mario 64, but I wouldnt call them rubbish, just I dont understand the love for them. The biggest one for me in that sense is Sonic - I hate it, dont get it, probably never will, but its definitely not rubbish.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am

OK, I'm going to get totally slammed for this but... Paradroid for the C64.

It was interesting for a few plays, but hardly the gaming gold it was made out to be. But that's just my opinion ;)

PS, I wonder how many people who say ET was 'absolute rubbish,' and 'the worst game ever' have actually played it?
I'm not saying it was a great game, and yes it had some bad and obvious bugs as it was rushed to production.
But what you have to realise is that a lot of people called it 'rubbish' back in the day because they became frustrated because they couldn't figure out the game play.
ET was one of the first games that actually tried to have a story, and back then people weren't used to reading what you were supposed to be doing before playing a game.

I get a bit fed up with the 'ET is the worst game ever' and ''ET killed ATARI' statements, when it clearly is nowhere near the worst game on the ATARI 2600, and it was absolutely not solely responsible for killing ATARI. Also, many of the 'good' ATARI games were also found in the landfill site, not just ET!

I think this has all just become an urban myth, with little to no basis in reality.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:59 am

GarryG wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am
back then people weren't used to reading what you were supposed to be doing before playing a game.
I'd say that's much more a modern thing. Back then, there was a whole lot of time where there was nothing else to do BUT read about the game. On the bus home from buying it, waiting for parents to stop watching TV so you could play... reading the manual and poring over the artwork was almost as much a part of the experience as the game itself.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:59 am
Back then, there was a whole lot of time where there was nothing else to do BUT read about the game.
Reading 'about' games, yes. I did that a lot back then.

Reading about 'how to play a game,' not so much. I think the first time i did that was for Ultima IV on the PC!
Then it was more common to just pick a game up and expect to be able to play it. Then for a while it wasn't necessarily like that. Now it's more like that again... :D

For ET, one of the main comments at the time, apart from the pit bug, was "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing!"

This then (along with the pit bug) turned into "This is the worst game ever!" :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Yeah, even though it's all there in the manual, E.T. certainly isn't a very intuitive game to play, and that's presumably in large part due to the rush in which it was made.

Warshaw had only a few weeks to design and code it, so there wasn't really much of a chance of getting other people - particularly the sort of novice gamers who'd be buying their first piece of hardware on the strength of the licence deal - to give feedback.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:21 pm

GarryG wrote:

It was interesting for a few plays, but hardly the gaming gold it was made out to be. But that's just my opinion ;)
Would be interested to know why you feel like that... it’s one I often pick as my “best game ever” when filling in the Retrobates details for the magazine intro.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:39 pm

GarryG wrote:
I'm with you. Never played it back in the day and tried it for the first time a few months back, expecting basically a 2D Quazatron. But it's WAY less fun than Quazatron - just lots and lots of tramping around dull featureless corridor mazes looking for robots with slightly higher numbers than you and waiting to capture them via a dull subgame in which the outcome is pretty much always predetermined by how many shots each side gets, and at which the CPU is absolutely terrible.

Once you get a decently powerful robot (which you can do very early) you can kill everything else onscreen with a single press of the button and all you have to do is traipse across the map laboriously hunting them all down. There's barely a game in there at all IMO.

Watched an internet longplay and it seemed to be the same all the way through. The only thing more boring than watching it was playing it. Just couldn't see what was supposed to be great about it for the life of me. At least in Quazatron the environments are fun.
Last edited by Rev. Stuart Campbell on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 am

Quazatron wouldn’t have existed without Paradroid.

It’s the atmosphere and moments it creates, the tension when you emerge onto a deck stuffed with high-power robots, the elation of taking over one of those in the transfer game, the satisfaction when the lights go down as you clear another deck.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:18 am

merman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 am
or Ranarama!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:41 am

merman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 am
Quite possibly. But that doesn't mean Paradroid is any good. Arkanoid wouldn't have existed without Breakout but Breakout is one tedious videogame.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:51 pm

I thought the circuit minigame in Paradroid was the best bit and was rather pleased it was carried over to Quazatron. The equivalent part in Ranarama just isn't as good and the one in Magnetron is really feeble.

Yes, the computer is a bit rubbish at playing it, but that's what allows you to at least sometimes pull off last ditch takeovers of very high level enemies when you're about to die, which feels awesome when it happens.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:41 pm

I played Elevator Action Returns today on my Saturn just to see what the fuss is about. What am I missing? It looks like any Megadrive game. Maybe there's some hidden strategy or secret cool thing in it, but after 30 mins of repetitious and boring gaming, I went back to Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

I realise the above statement is heresy in some quarters, but I'm more than happy to be educated on this.
Thoughts and prayers.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 am

You know what's always been a boring game, and is REALLY boring now? Puzzle Bobble.

The one-player game is just dull on rollerskates, and the two-player is the least interesting of all the head-to-head "puzzle" games, with the least opportunity for building up an exciting pattern to dump on your buddy, probably because you get the same "piece" every turn. God it's tedious.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Space Invaders. It's hard to see how this sparked any kind of life into video gaming at the time. It is just so dull. And I thought that in the early 80s when I first saw it.

Also: nearly everything by Ultimate but especially Sabre Wulf.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:24 am

Get your point. I still think back then as it was one of the first arcade games many of us have ever played it was like woahhhh back then. First machine I ever saw and played on and as a kid it was amazing. Did I continue to play it a year or two later when more arcade games came out which I could play on ? Nah. Only ever play one level now on MAME if that then move onto another game as yeah i do find it dull.

Bluce ! Sabre Wulf ! You break my heart ;) Not saying i'm right but let me defend it ! Back in 1984 you had so many pretty poor games on the Speccy, at the time they were like 'woah' as many of us had this brand new computer which allowed us to try all these different games and as a kid we imagined something more glorious then these basic User Defined Graphics. Jet Pac at the time felt like an arcade game i had in my room, then Sabre Wulf ! A huge great adventure full of colour and screens, remember thinking how amazing the game was back then.

I look back - Halls of the Things i loved as a kid. I think its pretty bad now, could have been decent but crazy button controls ruined it. But as a kid i was like i'm in this dungeon trying to get treasure, my imagination as a kid helped get over the basic graphics and more.

I think if a kid whos never played Speccy games tried a few (you see those sort of experiments on some TV shows when a kid nowadays tries some old console etc) i think Sabre Wulf wouldnt be too bad but something like Halls of the Things etc would get shot down