What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 pm

gunbladelad wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am
I'm going to annoy everyone to hell and say that "Robocop" is completely rubbish. Only 5 levels, but the difficulty level was so high that it was a challenge to even get through the first level for many people - oh, and if you died at all? Right back to the start of the level...
Yeah i hear a lot of people say how easy it is but i've rarely got past the first level. Saying that ! All these years i've been playing it a bit here and there i still really enjoy it. Its a bit like Ghost n Goblins or Jailbreak, havent got very far with either at all but still enjoy playing it mostly for the nostalgia.

Got to about level 2 late on in Ghost n Goblins but thats such a tricky game.

Dont get the hate for Golden Axe. Its very easy but to me its a classic old skool arcade game.

Never got the love (gulp) for Street Fighter, its an okay mash the buttons like anything against a mate but never thought of it as a classic

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:29 pm

I have to stick up for Golden Axe and Altered Beast!

They were the first Mega Drive games I ever played and I still love them.

It's not just simply nostalgia or rose tinted spectacles, but I really do love the games and think they're great.

Ok, so they may not be the most advanced or difficult games ever but they are great fun!

I played them both today as a matter of fact...
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 am

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:29 pm
I have to stick up for Golden Axe and Altered Beast!

They were the first Mega Drive games I ever played and I still love them.
I got my Mega Drive when they bundled it with Sonic the Hedgehog and I was attracted by the cover artwork for Altered Beast. My more knowledgable older friend said "Don't buy Altered Beast. It's a load of censored!" I'm so glad I didn't listen to him.

I've always favoured Golden Axe II over the original Golden Axe. Just that bit more polished. Golden Axe III is also an under-rated game. I remember reading a review in Sega Power back in the day and it got absolutely slaughtered (34% if memory serves).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am

JamesC wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:09 am
There is no way Pac Man or Tetris are rubbish but I can see why they may not appeal to everyone.

I was actually going to say Earthworm Jim but I can see it's already been mentioned.
It's the most iconic example of a group of late 16-bit platformers which seemed to put graphical beauty ahead of gameplay. Maui Mallard is another offender - Aladdin (Virgin) just about stays on the right side of the fun gameplay line.
The main problems with these games, for me, is that it's difficult to tell background elements from foregound 'gameplay relevent' elements. There's also too much animation in the games. Earthworm Jim is beautifully animated but I want him to jump when I press the button, not a second and a half later after he's completed the jump animation.
These games definitely seemed to market themselves as being a step-up in quality but were actually a step-down in terms of responsiveness and playability.
There's a sweet spot where you get lovely animation and great, responsive gameplay - the likes of Konami's Tiny Toons games, Rocket Knight Adventures and Treasure's Gunstar Heroes are examples.
The worst for this is Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure on the SNES.
Harry Jr is too busy going through pratfalls and canned animations to actually respond to the player, meaning the hidden emulation of the Atari VCS game is more fun than the £50 16-bit monstrosity you paid for...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

English Invader wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 am
My more knowledgable older friend said "Don't buy Altered Beast. It's a load of censored!" I'm so glad I didn't listen to him.
That's a controversial one! :P

Each to their own (obviously!) but Altered Beast is one of the biggest heaps of toilet ever conceived imo. It has some cheesy charm ("POWAH UP!"), granted, but I simply cannot enjoy the clunky gameplay.

I do agree on Golden Axe III though; it has branching paths, way more moves, cool specials, and fantastic music. There's no way it deserves to be regarded as so much worse than the original. Nostalgia and the old "it was the original" attitude are what keeps the original as the favourite.

The problem with the question asked by this topic however, is that what's "rubbish" is so subjective and based on personal opinion. I think there are very few games that could genuinely be considered as rubbish on a factual level.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 am

merman wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am
JamesC wrote:
There is no way Pac Man or Tetris are rubbish but I can see why they may not appeal to everyone.

I was actually going to say Earthworm Jim but I can see it's already been mentioned.
It's the most iconic example of a group of late 16-bit platformers which seemed to put graphical beauty ahead of gameplay. Maui Mallard is another offender - Aladdin (Virgin) just about stays on the right side of the fun gameplay line.
The main problems with these games, for me, is that it's difficult to tell background elements from foregound 'gameplay relevent' elements. There's also too much animation in the games. Earthworm Jim is beautifully animated but I want him to jump when I press the button, not a second and a half later after he's completed the jump animation.
These games definitely seemed to market themselves as being a step-up in quality but were actually a step-down in terms of responsiveness and playability.
There's a sweet spot where you get lovely animation and great, responsive gameplay - the likes of Konami's Tiny Toons games, Rocket Knight Adventures and Treasure's Gunstar Heroes are examples.
The worst for this is Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure on the SNES.
Harry Jr is too busy going through pratfalls and canned animations to actually respond to the player, meaning the hidden emulation of the Atari VCS game is more fun than the £50 16-bit monstrosity you paid for...
I suspected Pitfall might be an offender but I haven't played it since the 90s so wasn't 100% sure. Kind of a shame because the game certainly did look nice and I liked the idea of a Pitfall update.

swooper

Post by swooper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:44 am

I rarely play Golden Axe II or III but I'll give them another go soon.

I admit that I grew up with the first Golden Axe, so that's going to be a big factor in my preference for it. But still, I think the original has much better graphics and, more importantly, better level design.

I'll give them another try, especially the third one, I don't think I played it enough.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Playing Golden Axe III tons tonight, didnt realise there was a third but my son loves it (hes 5) so i'll play that a fair bit tonight. Like the look of some of the other characters. But always prefer the original arcade version, good times

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 am
Mario 64, yeah it was a game that inspired clones, but I hated it, had more fun with Mystical ninja 64
PacMan, same mazes, just faster, copy paste.
Donkey Kong, few levels repeated, no variation
This could apply for a lot of games of that era.
I do think it's slightly overrated, but far from rubbish. As great as an achievement it was for the time, it has been comfortably bettered by the later 3D Mario games.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm

JamesC wrote:
It may be because I'm awful at both games, but I just find them to induce a kind of panic when they speed up that I just don't find fun.

Tetris is without question the most overrated game I can think of. To this day you see it ranked number one in greatest games of all time lists, as if no game since has bettered it, despite all the significant technological improvements in gaming. There's a reason why it's often given away free.
Last edited by pratty on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Well there's quite a lot that were good but are now rubbish for one reason or another but one that I always thought was bad was the first tomb raider. The controls are awful, really awful. I played it after mario 64 and could not get my head around the tank movement. Just seemed so backwards, even then. And Lara was a rubbish character, just boring. The newer games are excellent mind.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:46 am

pratty wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm
JamesC wrote:
It may be because I'm awful at both games, but I just find them to induce a kind of panic when they speed up that I just don't find fun.

Tetris is without question the most overrated game I can think of. To this day you see it ranked number one in greatest games of all time lists, as if no game since has bettered it, despite all the significant technological improvements in gaming. There's a reason why it's often given away free.
I think the thing with Tetris is that it's such a pure idea, with such a universally understandable goal, that it almost bears comparison against things like the crossword puzzle, sudoku, or a game of scrabble than against other computer games.
You can teach anyone the basic gameplay of Tetris in a few seconds. You could teach it to an Elizabethan, once they'd gotten over the shock of your magic light-up box. There's something to be said for that purity - and when it's paired with a perfect control system (such as on the Gameboy version) it's almost beyond criticism.
None of that means you actually have to enjoy it of course.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:03 am

pratty wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 am
Mario 64, yeah it was a game that inspired clones, but I hated it, had more fun with Mystical ninja 64
PacMan, same mazes, just faster, copy paste.
Donkey Kong, few levels repeated, no variation
This could apply for a lot of games of that era.
I do think it's slightly overrated, but far from rubbish. As great as an achievement it was for the time, it has been comfortably bettered by the later 3D Mario games.
You wouldn't have the newer 3D Mario games without Mario 64.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:18 pm

You arguably wouldn't have any of the Super Mario games without the original arcade Mario Bros. (and that's a loathsome turd of a game).

dolligan

Post by dolligan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 am

NorthWay wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm
I'm partial to say Space Invaders and Pacman. Very iconic, but still too simplistic for me. Might be a bit strong to say rubbish, but compared to their status they don't do anything for me.
Heresy!
So many side scrollers you could have picked on for basically being repetitive and derivative under the showy graphics.
Golden Axe at least has enemy types that require different strategies. It doesn't just make things harder on later levels by throwing increasingly big crowds of cloned goons at you. Unlike, say, Final Fight (and a whole host of less well-remembered games that came out in the wake of Double Dragon).