What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 pm

merman wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 am
Earthworm Jim.
About twenty seconds of generally funny comedy wrapped up in three hours of aggravating pixel-perfect platforming made egregiously difficult by the awful controls. Shiny did so many better platform games, and I feel like I am massacring a sacred cow by posting this. But that's how I feel.
I'm with you.

And let's not even get into Worms.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:40 am

merman wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 am
Earthworm Jim.
About twenty seconds of generally funny comedy wrapped up in three hours of aggravating pixel-perfect platforming made egregiously difficult by the awful controls. Shiny did so many better platform games, and I feel like I am massacring a sacred cow by posting this. But that's how I feel.
I never got this one either.

Most of the suggestions here seem to be games from genres that people don't like. That doesn't make them bad games.

I'll nominate Colin McRae Rally which is from a genre I like. I love Sega Rally Championship on the Saturn and hoped for an expanded version of that game from this. What I got was a tedious sleeping pill with none of the thrills and spills of Sega Rally. Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA and Crazy Taxi are the games that taught me that less is more.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am

I'm going to annoy everyone to hell and say that "Robocop" is completely rubbish. Only 5 levels, but the difficulty level was so high that it was a challenge to even get through the first level for many people - oh, and if you died at all? Right back to the start of the level...
Where logic won't work, I will

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Agreed with the shouts for Golden Axe (and I love beat 'em ups).

Love the fantasy/Conan-esque design but the gameplay is really clunky and boring.

People love to hate on Golden Axe III, and claim that it was the worst in the series, but everything about it is a thousand times better than the much-celabrated original.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:49 pm

I've tried getting in World Of Warcraft, but whatever reason I just can't!

Does that make it Rubbish? I wouldn't know but it's just not for me, and normally love anything to do with Medieval Fantasy.

Going back a bit further I've never really liked any of the Sims games all that much either.

I've said before elsewhere on this forum that I can't stand most FPS games. I still love Duke Nukem 3D and Doom, but after that they nearly all seem the same to me and get very boring very quickly.

So I'm not sure if any of these titles/series I've mentioned are actually "rubbish" but they are iconic and I don't like them very much!
Press Play On Tape

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:38 pm

As a beat em up fan, I too will say Golden Axe.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:55 am

Thread should read "Post here how much you hate Golden Axe"
Thoughts and prayers.

swooper

Post by swooper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 am

Can't believe no one is defending Golden Axe. I completed it yesterday for about the millionth time.

I'm not surprised that some people don't like it, but I'm guessing these are people who maybe don't know all the moves.. in particular the "reverse attack" as I call it (press attack and jump simultaneously) and the "sword/axe through the skull" attack (run by pressing forward twice, then jump and press attack at the high point of the jump). Those are some powerful moves.

Strategy in general is more important in this game than in most other beat-em-ups. If an enemy is giving you grief, try approaching him or her from above or below rather than head-on. If you're expecting a typical beat-em-up I guess you'll be disappointed.

I love the parts where you can lure enemies off ledges, or knock them off them. Or do shoulder charges from high ground to lower ground. Lots of fun. Great graphics and music also.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:10 pm

I've been a member here too long to be tempted into being the lone voice defending anything against the mob.

As soon as I saw the title, I thought 'car crash'.
Thoughts and prayers.

swooper

Post by swooper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Lol you could be right.

ommadawnyawn

Post by ommadawnyawn » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Yeah I don't mind Golden Axe, and it's not even that praised anyway and was an improvement over previous beat 'em ups. I do prefer the arcade sequel overall though besides the music.

GA has one of the best OSTs of that era.

EWJ is still better than most of the games I listed. But it is rough around the edges.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 am

Mario 64, yeah it was a game that inspired clones, but I hated it, had more fun with Mystical ninja 64
PacMan, same mazes, just faster, copy paste.
Donkey Kong, few levels repeated, no variation
This could apply for a lot of games of that era.

srj672

Post by srj672 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:04 am

Sonic the Hedgehog series - Played the first, was fun, cool music and some explory bits on the 8 bit version were cool for a bit of variety. Played the 2nd...OK...more of the same, except it's fast and it's too quick to my bad eyesight to keep up with everything...3rd....oh look a save feature...but more of the same

Meanwhile, still playing Super Mario World to this day, exploring and finding secrets and trying to get the secret exits without save states. I will concede that the music in the first Sonic is amazing though, possibly up there with Mega Man 2, but I just don't get Sonic. I've even tried Sonic Adventure games, I lasted about 15 minutes before I gave up.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:09 am

There is no way Pac Man or Tetris are rubbish but I can see why they may not appeal to everyone.

I was actually going to say Earthworm Jim but I can see it's already been mentioned.
It's the most iconic example of a group of late 16-bit platformers which seemed to put graphical beauty ahead of gameplay. Maui Mallard is another offender - Aladdin (Virgin) just about stays on the right side of the fun gameplay line.
The main problems with these games, for me, is that it's difficult to tell background elements from foregound 'gameplay relevent' elements. There's also too much animation in the games. Earthworm Jim is beautifully animated but I want him to jump when I press the button, not a second and a half later after he's completed the jump animation.
These games definitely seemed to market themselves as being a step-up in quality but were actually a step-down in terms of responsiveness and playability.
There's a sweet spot where you get lovely animation and great, responsive gameplay - the likes of Konami's Tiny Toons games, Rocket Knight Adventures and Treasure's Gunstar Heroes are examples.

ommadawnyawn

Post by ommadawnyawn » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:14 am

Agreed on Mario 64 and I also don't really like the early TR and RE games much anymore even though I used to. Such clunky games.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/