Need help identifying an old computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BobDraven

Need help identifying an old computer

Post by BobDraven » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am

I'm hoping there's a resident expert here who can help identify a home computer I saw as a child.
It was around 1980 (give or take a few years) and belonged to a friends father, I'm fairly certain it was called 'Tasco 2000' (written on a sticker top-left of the keyboard) and was almost identical to a Commodore Vic-20 (different sticker and different colour function keys). A few months later the father bought my friend a Vic-20 because of the interest he had shown in his Dads computer and I remember noticing the difference.
Lost all contact with the family years ago and my own internet searches have drawn a blank, starting to doubt my memory, could it have been a Vic-20 knock-off?

gunbladelad

Re: Need help identifying an old computer

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 pm

The first thought might be that you're mis-remembering it and thinking of the TRS-80 (also known as a Tandy 2000), but a quick websearch shows it looks nothing like the Vic 20.

It may well have been a clone machine - or a re-branded Vic-20 for a foreign market.
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 am

The Tandy 2000 (an early 80s somewhat IBM compatible PC) is a very different machine to the TRS-80 but it's certainly true that neither resembles the VIC-20 much.

Tasco are also a company I'd more associate with optical instruments - there are some binoculars sold as Tasco 2000 - than computers. It's plausible that they might have re-badged the VIC-20 for some market but I can't find any evidence to support that.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Now, this is a complete random thought, but if Tasco were behind optical devices, might it be possible that they licenced out the Vic 20 design for use in hospitals and opticians as an early way of keeping track of patient records...?

It would certainly explain why there's no information on it online.
Where logic won't work, I will

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 am

Sure it wasn't Tascom or Nascom?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube