The New gen thread PS5/XBOXsX (feat PONG)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

The New gen thread PS5/XBOXsX (feat PONG)

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:01 am

A race between a Wifi router and a air purifier
ImageImage
Games wise its just the same stuff, but Xboxsx exclusives to come at some point.

Nether has PONG on them.

ulrich7ad

Re: The New gen thread PS5/XBOXsX (feat PONG)

Post by ulrich7ad » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm probably going to stick with Sony, they showed enough to get me for another generation. Although I'll give it a year, see if Microsoft can be bothered to bring their A game this time.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:50 pm
see if Microsoft can be bothered to bring their A game this time.
Im sure a new Halo will come out and..............
Killer instinct?

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:01 am
The winner is the one we will want to play games on 20 years from now. I will wait. But will it be anything to pick up 20 years from now? Will the games be available? Online servers all gone? Will emulation of the new old censored be the only thing available?

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm
ulrich7ad wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:50 pm
see if Microsoft can be bothered to bring their A game this time.
Im sure a new Halo will come out and..............
Killer instinct?
That and one would assume something out of those dozen or so studios they purchased.......and Forza and Gears no doubt.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 pm

I actually like the design of the PS5 and the accessory range.
The Xbox looks like Microsoft didn't even try!

PS5 games line-up was very "meh" though, and just (mostly) more of the same. Stray, Spider-Man, Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop looked interesting but overall, nothing that will make me rush out and buy into it. No fighting games, JRPG's or any sequels to franchises I care about.

And where is the Japanese flavour for the PS5? The whole showreel looked very Western, almost like an Xbox preview. Was there an exclusive Japanese version with different games shown? It just seems odd (and disappointing).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:11 pm

ivarf wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:01 am
The winner is the one we will want to play games on 20 years from now. I will wait. But will it be anything to pick up 20 years from now? Will the games be available? Online servers all gone? Will emulation of the new old censored be the only thing available?
There'll certainly be some games you can still play in 20 years time. There are PC games even older than that with online infrastructure that are still playable, such as Meridian 59.

It's all really in the hands of the developers and publishers though. If they want something to last beyond its initial commercial lifetime the onus is upon them to allow the community to set up their own servers or, better still, release the source code so it can be kept running on newer hardware.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Its interesting the severs are still up for 360 and PS3 games as well as their digital stores, even long after all the Wii's servers (Are the Call of Duty servers still up?). One can argue that backwards compatibility and things like PSNow have ensured that players on future systems can still play those games, but there are a fair few games with online with dead lobbies for years.

I'll end up with both eventually, but probably will go with Series X first. Just preference for things like achievements, the interface (Have never liked the PS3/PS4 one), my vast backwards compat library which I still play, and such. But right now, BOTH need to introduce games that make me really want either....

....or maybe I'll just build my library through Games with Gold and PS+ free games, I dunno.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Anyone else disappointed with the MS showcase? Was hoping we'd see ballsy ms, shoving loads of games in our faces. I mean showing halo in cross gen ain't selling hardware.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:08 pm

^ Absolute shambles, lol. Even what they showed of Halo was incredibly underwhelming. I got the impression that they thought just him having a grapple hook now would be enough to hype everyone up

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm wondering if the "no next gen exclusives" promise will actually hurt MS during the first 18 months. I mean, if Halo Infinite is also on Xbox One S/X (because it will be X enhanced, the backlash if it isn't will be intense and damaging), then that lessens the "need" to upgrade to Series X/S, IMHO.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Still, im not really seeing that big leap in grahpics, know its earily days but the new Halo looks like it could be on the 360, the slowdown it had looked bad

Also
Sega logo
Creature from Phantasy star
PSO2 logo
DAMN IT!!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 am

learnedrobb wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm
I'm wondering if the "no next gen exclusives" promise will actually hurt MS during the first 18 months. I mean, if Halo Infinite is also on Xbox One S/X (because it will be X enhanced, the backlash if it isn't will be intense and damaging), then that lessens the "need" to upgrade to Series X/S, IMHO.
I can't remember where I read it (might be one of threads here) but aren't MS halting production of the One X and the digital-only console? Perhaps they are banking on new customers having to buy the new machine for new X-enhanced games, since the only other choice will be used One X consoles.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 am

The only game that seemed interesting was Grounded, everything else was kinda meh
Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 am
learnedrobb wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm
I can't remember where I read it (might be one of threads here) but aren't MS halting production of the One X and the digital-only console? Perhaps they are banking on new customers having to buy the new machine for new X-enhanced games, since the only other choice will be used One X consoles.
They already have, the console isnt even dead yet (ok maybe it is, but thats personal opinion as I haven't seen anything that warrants me buying one).

Its like what Apple do, new model, sod the older ones, you want you buy the new thing

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Yeah, we discussed it on the PS4/XBox 1 thread.

Microsoft clearly want to give customers a choice between a low-end 1080p games machine (although the One S can still output 4K video for streaming and such) and a high-end 8K one.

Having a machine in the middle that's potentially seen as good enough for 4K TV sets, that the vast majority of their customers will still be using for the next couple of years at least, is a bit awkward and then there's the potentially confusing X in both names on top of that.

There will obviously be other reasons to upgrade, such as the Series X having an SSD for faster loading, improved backwards compatibility, new controllers, etc. Still, if you've already got a One X and just want to ride out the launch hype, you're sitting pretty.