The games that should be on a GG micro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

The games that should be on a GG micro

Post by English Invader » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:16 am

After thinking a little more about this project, there are a couple of potential saving graces that may make the project salvageable. The first is the possibility of HDMI out and the second is the possibility of the console being hackable to install more games. Under normal circumstances, I would be against hacking a mini because I believe a mini should be treated as a tribute to the impact the original console had in the games industry and that there is an art to curating a special selection of games that defined the console but this project fails so miserably in this regard that I feel something needs to be done to give the Game Gear the tribute it deserves.

What I'm talking about is a definitive list of games that one can put on the micro (how you source them is beyond the scope of this thread) that will allow people to experience the games that made the console great. I'm particularly looking at games that fit into the following categories:

1) system staples that most people will immediately associate with the system (Sonic the Hedgehog, Columns, Super Monaco GP, Wonderboy, GG Shinobi 1 and 2, Halley Wars and so on)
2) games that share the same title but are significantly different to their Master System counterparts (this is often to the point of being released in a completely different era or by different developers or publishers - Double Dragon, Alien Syndrome, Power Strike II and the Pac-Man games are the ones that spring to mind here)
3) releases that show the different paths the GG library took from the Master System; Japanese exclusives like The Coca Cola Kid, Ronald McDonald in Magical World, the Puyo Puyo games, the Ninku games; US exclusives like Jungle Strike, Urban Strike, Choplifter 3, RBI Baseball 94, Cutthroat Island; Mega Drive ports like Chakan the Forever Man, Greendog and NBA Jam (there was a prototype for the SMS released a few years back but no official release)

This is what I've come up with (I'm not that big on RPGs and Zelda type adventure games so some suggestions there would be helpful and any other suggestions are welcome as well):

Sonic 1 and 2
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Labyrinth
Tails Adventure
The Coca Cola Kid
Ronald McDonald in Magical World
Magic Knight Rayearth
Shinobi 1 and 2
Double Dragon
Streets of Rage 2 (the original SOR sucks on the GG IMO, DD is much better)
Super Monaco GP
Frogger (unreleased prototype but fully playable game)
Tintin in Tibet
Smurfs 1 and 2
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike
Wonderboy
Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap
Power Strike II
Halley Wars
Columns
Columns Crown
Puyo Puyo 2
Chakan the Forever Man
Pac-Man
Ms Pac-Man
Pac-Attack
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (very late 1997 release and very rare)
Ax Battler
Cutthroat Island
Ninku Gaiden
The Jungle Book
The Lion King
Garfield: Caught in the Act (some wonderful cartoon licenses on the system with graphics and sound that hold up very well against the Mega Drive)

Shinobi

Re: The games that should be on a GG micro

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am

The Castle Conversion of the MSX game
Hero
Chicago Syndicate the Eternal Champions platform game
Royal Stone A Shining Force like RPG that looks nice that only got a recent translation in recent years.
Woody Pop early Arkanoid clone
Berlin Wall another Japan only release
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Wow, never knew Jurassic Park 2 was on the GG. Will have to head over to YouTube!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:52 am

I would love to have seen Dragon Crystal on there. My favourite GG game, along with the Shinobi games and Alien Syndrome.

But this is just a novelty keyring. Whether it had 1 game or the entire library on it, its a gimmick without the kind of practical use of the usual "mini" consoles. I'd probably snag one for a tenner if they bomb, as its still kind of cool....

skooldaze_eric

Post by skooldaze_eric » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:28 am

More as a historical curiosity than anything else, but I would like to see Panzer Dragoon Mini.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Now if the Game Gear Micro had a line up like that, then I would be very tempted indeed...
Press Play On Tape

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 am

It was such a massive let down. After the week of hype and excitement, to find it was a GGM, at such a price and such a limited library on each....Sega being Sega again Lol. With so much that could have been done, what a let down.