Stunning new Amstrad CPC racing game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

swansea_lad

Stunning new Amstrad CPC racing game

Post by swansea_lad » Thu May 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Anyone have anymore details on this? Looks like a 16 bit game on the CPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAcd47eUZF4

Matt_B

Re: Stunning new Amstrad CPC racing game

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 pm

We've already discussed it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55590

I don't think there's been any more info yet, but they took about four years to get Pinball Dreams from first demo to release so you probably shouldn't be waiting up for this to drop any time soon.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am

Any news of the ports for the superior C64 and ZX Spectrum machines? It will be fantastic on those machines

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:05 am

ivarf wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am
Any news of the ports for the superior C64 and ZX Spectrum machines? It will be fantastic on those machines
:lol: Still banging that drum? Seriously though, the Amstrad was a fantastic machine and these new games are proving that if programmers back in the day were able to spend more time with it (rather than rushing out lazy ports) it could have been a real competitor in the 8-bit wars. Have you played Pinball Dreams on the CPC? Or how about the remake of R-Type? Sadly popularity (and commercial success) will always win the day.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm

batman877 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:05 am
ivarf wrote:
:lol: Still banging that drum? Seriously though, the Amstrad was a fantastic machine and these new games are proving that if programmers back in the day were able to spend more time with it (rather than rushing out lazy ports) it could have been a real competitor in the 8-bit wars. Have you played Pinball Dreams on the CPC? Or how about the remake of R-Type? Sadly popularity (and commercial success) will always win the day.
No 8-bit machine can do monochrome like the Spectrum. No machine can scroll brown better than the C64

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat May 30, 2020 7:25 pm

ivarf wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm
batman877 wrote:
ivarf wrote:
No 8-bit machine can do monochrome like the Spectrum. No machine can scroll brown better than the C64
No machine can jerk like an Amstrad (well, except maybe the Atari ST) :lol:

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:25 pm
No machine can jerk like an Amstrad (well, except maybe the Atari ST) :lol:
True, except for maybe MSX?
On the other hand the ZX Spectrum can't scroll as smooth or fast or as well as the Amstrad CPC.
SID rules. The weakest part of the ST and CPC is the soundchip. The Spectrum had beeper sound too so its better ;)
Working within its LIMITS the C64 is best for games.
ZX Spectrum has lower resolution than the C64 and Amstrad CPC.

Please add more 8-bits like BBC, Atari 8-bits, Enterprise + others

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:49 am

batman877 wrote:
ivarf wrote:
There was an article in the RG magazine a while back about the CPC 464 that basically said just that - when a notable port was done right on it, it had the last laugh at the time. :)

Sometimes cross compatibility makes things less advantageous - if I’m not mistaken as much as the PS3’s processor was hated for being hard to develop on, it was deliberately designed to excel at first party titles and exclusive games rather than multiplats.
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Even with the benefit of hindsight, it's hard to figure out whether the CPC was blessed or curse by its similarities to the Spectrum. On the one hand, it would never have had as many ports as it got if it hadn't been possible to just copy code over and tweak the graphics routines a bit. On the other, this meant that a heck of a lot less work went into discovering its unique capabilities than the Spectrum or the C64 ever had, and you've got to sift through a lot of sub-optimal games to find the good ones.

The problem with the PS3 was that the cell processor has only one conventional core, with full access to the RAM, where the 360 has three. The additional cores of the PS3 all have to run from a small cache and need careful design to utilize them fully, which was only really ever going to happen with first party games. However, ported games usually just use the one core so the performance suffered. Things got a bit better for the PS3 as time went on and cross-platform engines were adapted to make better use of what it had, but it developed an early reputation that was hard to shake.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am

Blessed or cursed? Blessed, no doubt about it. Without easy Spectrum ports, coming in as late as it did, the CPC would have sunk without a decent games library to back it up. If it weren't easy to port to, I can't imagine anyone much bothering with it, concentrating on the established market instead.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am
Blessed or cursed? Blessed, no doubt about it. Without easy Spectrum ports, coming in as late as it did, the CPC would have sunk without a decent games library to back it up. If it weren't easy to port to, I can't imagine anyone much bothering with it, concentrating on the established market instead.
I mean, it makes those titles that shine stick out way better than they would otherwise.
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am
It'd certainly be easy to see it share the same fate as the Oric and the Electron, which both quickly fell off the multiplatform radar.

Still, I'd think that the CPC would have probably found a niche in the home office / small business market. Indeed, that's where Amstrad mostly concentrated their efforts with their subsequent PCW and PC computers. The PCW was a rather more difficult machine to port to, so could perhaps be seen as something of what a less Spectrum-like CPC would have been, but still had a bit of games scene; there are relatively few duffers in the - admittedly rather small - catalogue of games for it and I'd think that largely thanks to the high barrier to entry.

Also, a lot of CPC sales came in countries such as France, where the differing colour TV system meant that the C64 and Spectrum were slow to market and were the ones playing catch up to the CPC and the local Thomson computers. It's no surprise that a lot of the CPC's most highly regarded games - such as Xyphoe's Fantasy, Bumpy, Get Dexter and Targhan - came out of that scene. Still, like you say, it was far to late to the UK market to get much of a look-in as a lead platform.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Also, a lot of CPC sales came in countries such as France, where the differing colour TV system meant that the C64 and Spectrum were slow to market and were the ones playing catch up to the CPC and the local Thomson computers. It's no surprise that a lot of the CPC's most highly regarded games - such as Xyphoe's Fantasy, Bumpy, Get Dexter and Targhan - came out of that scene. Still, like you say, it was far to late to the UK market to get much of a look-in as a lead platform.
But the ZX Spectrum and C64 had time to build up a market in France before the Amstrad CPCs were released. But people just didn't want them. What they did want, was the complete package offered by the Amstrad CPCs , especially the 128 kB diskbased CPC 6128s.

It's a pity the CPCs couldn't be delivered with a 2 MHz 6502, then we could have had ports from the BBC which already had the the same graphic chip and bunch of talented coder that likely would have jumped over to the CPC if the BBCs marked would continue down. Several BBC coders already knew how to utilize the graphics chip for smooth scrolling and other effects.

Instead we got ports from a computer that had terrible colourclashes and depended on the brute force of the Z80. With over twice the screen memory and different screen layout, the ZX Spectrum code is very far from optimal if not rewritten.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:06 pm

The Oric did very well for itself in France, filling that Spectrum gap initially. The TV output on it was a major factor in that, something the Spectrum has always been a bit iffy with.

It's a pity the Oric had such an odd colour attribute system, or there would have been no need for the CPC at all ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:35 pm

The Oric wasn't ever more than a bit part player. You've doubtless read that it was the best selling home computer in France in 1983 which is probably true, but at just 50,000 units that market was tiny compared to the UK and US ones where other models of computer were already shifting in the millions. Tangerine, the parent company in the UK, were in all sorts of trouble during 1984 so it was pretty much already dead before the CPC even launched there.

I don't think Sinclair ever made a proper French version of the Spectrum. You can plug a British one into a TV set there and get a black and white picture, but colour wouldn't have been possible without expensive hardware mods until the 128K models arrived and I've yet to see one with an AZERTY keyboard that wasn't obviously a mod.

Commodore were selling the C64 there through a French distributor called Procep, who made the necessary localization to the keyboard and the TV output, but these both delayed the market entry and pushed the price up to the extent that it wasn't very competitive as a games machine.