Virtual Pinball

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Virtual Pinball

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 am

Never knew about these until recently, one of my retro mates (Aaron) recently bought one for £600 (a good price, many are around £1000), theres quite a few on ebay, heres a great looking one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUB2vw78aSY

Basically its like it runs a 'Pinball emulator' and you choose from 800 odd tables. So its all virtual on the screen, no physical flippers or anything. They seem really good, SO tempted to get one but what with possible redundancies/marriage split and stuff ! I shouldnt BUT damn its so tempting.

DPrinny

Re: Virtual Pinball

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 28, 2020 9:04 am

Was looking at one a few months back, (Think it was about £300) my main concern is the screens viewing angles, having it flat like in the video can make things kinda hard to see when the ball is up top.

Seen a load that are slightly angled.

You can get some with a bit of force feedback on the flippers also a tilt sensor.

Was looking at making one myself, on a smaller scale, maybe using a toy one and getting fancy, but you need a decent PC inside for it to work

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am

I had all the parts to build a small one but never got round to it. You don't need a massively specced PC to run some of the older pinball emulators, I was doing it on my old XP PC from a decade ago.

£600 doesn't seem to outrageous for an off the shelf solution considering the costs of a PC, two displays, controls and casings etc.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

On a realted note
https://www.reviewgeek.com/36105/arcade ... ook-legit/

Arcade1up are doing some soon.
There arcade machines are "ok" for casual play, the wood used is usually feels like it would brake
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am
£600 doesn't seem to outrageous for an off the shelf solution considering the costs of a PC, two displays, controls and casings etc.
The screens can be gotten cheap enough if gotten second hand, the PC on the other hand, geez, the specs im looking at are better than my own.

If I am ever to make one I might just cheap out and do one based on console pinball games

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 am

I've tried and tried but i cant justify buying one at the moment. Gutted ! Its something for the future, got a lot of gadgets already so i might (oh no !) sell one i dont use so much in order to possibly get this. Seen a few builds on youtube where they've got the proper pinball type of stand which looks great. Exciting to see some of the builds

But yeah £600 is pretty good compared to the other prices of some similar ones.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 pm

I'm rubbish at Pinball machines but that looks bloody awesome!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 pm
I know that feel.

Its like im a magnet for balls

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat May 30, 2020 7:24 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:
I know that feel.

I'm a magnet for the opposite to balls. :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:24 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:
I know that feel.

I'm a magnet for the opposite to balls. :lol:
Googled it.
THERE IS NO OPPOSITE TO BALLS!!

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:32 am

Don't know if this is the right thread to post it, or if this one is dedicated to specific virtual pinball hardware, but one of my most played games on Switch is Pinball FX3. I've got about 20 tables - loads have been on sale recently. Just picked up the Bethesda pack for £4 yesterday. Anyone else play it? My favorite tables are probably Fish Tales, The Walking Dead and Epic Quest. I loved the South Park and Street Fighter 2 tables on the PS4 as well but they don't seem to be available on Switch :(

Also, I was going to ask a while back, but has anyone ever been to the Pinball Arcade in Nuneaton? It's not far from me and I've been meaning to go for ages. He's got loads of tables there and some sit down racing cabs and a few other machines, mainly pinball though. It's annoying because it used to be literally down the road until it moved to Nuneaton a while back. Just wondered if anyone had ever been and what it was like? As in the atmosphere and stuff. I'd be going as a total novice and wondered if it was full of good players who look down on people just playing for fun and stuff, an experience I've had in an arcade before, and it's not very pleasant.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm DYING to throw money at someone for a good one of these. I thought I'd found the perfect one here, nice and compact and ready to play:

https://www.minivirtualpinball.it/prodo ... e-machine/

but it only comes with Future Pinball tables, whereas most of the ones I want are Visual Pinball, and the guys who make it say for VP tables you need the higher-spec model that's twice the price. And while I'd pay £800 for one that came with all my favourite pins ready to go, £1600 is taking the mickey.

Also, has anyone actually tried installing pinball emulation on their PC recently? Holy JESUS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 pm

Also, has anyone actually tried installing pinball emulation on their PC recently? Holy JESUS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yup, it cant run on a cheap-o PC, even if the prices of such a thing seem to be dropping.
Id seriously consider thinking about screen viewing angles, LCDs can be naff if looked at from some angles and with pinball it helps to be able to see the whole field. id make it so the screen if at a higher angle

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Welcome back the Rev !! Had a look. 5 years since your last post !! What have you been up to ? Nothing controversial I hope :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:22 pm

You know me, been keeping quiet and making friends.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Yup, it cant run on a cheap-o PC, even if the prices of such a thing seem to be dropping.
I was very surprised when they told me Visual Pinball was much more resource-greedy than Future Pinball, because many years ago when I first got into pinball emulation the reverse was true.

But I didn't really mean that - I meant the TERRIFYING complexity and user-hostility. Just registering for the main virtual-pinball forums is an agonising, hateful chore, and it's really not worth it, because what you get access to is an incomprehensible mess of incompatible, undocumented files in one of 105 different technical categories - yeah, I actually counted - which will need one of about a dozen different program versions to run.

I'm not a complete tech doofus - I've put hundreds of hours into wrangling my Retropie box and some pretty intricate configuration and scripting work is now second nature - but even the "simple and fast" YouTube tutorials for the pinball emus are an hour and a half long and might as well be in Ancient Greek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zstAevRz8o

I would seriously HURL large sums of money at anyone selling a little cabinet the size of the one I linked to, on which someone had actually done the work of compiling and installing all the tables that work well, because the thought of having to do it myself is too terrifying to contemplate for a single moment.