Numeric Pad Amiga Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Numeric Pad Amiga Games

Post by English Invader » Wed May 20, 2020 4:10 am

I started a thread recently about the production flaws of the A600 and suggested that the dropping of the numeric keypad wasn't as great a loss as many people made it out to be and that I had happily used an A600 for years without ever coming across software that needed one. It was suggested that I played a very limited games library and that I didn't play anything that involved sustained use of a keyboard and mouse (for the record, I often play Lemmings and Space Harrier (which are both mouse only) and I'm also quite partial to the football management sims).

But my recent acquisition of a Raspberry Pi Amibian set-up has presented me with an opportunity to right this wrong. I have a decent gaming keyboard and mouse combo with the all-important numeric keypad and now is the time to find out what I've been missing.

Please recommend games that utilise the numeric keypad. I don't care what genre they are; flight sims, strategy, whatever; the only requirement is that they are either unplayable or very difficult to play without a numeric keypad.

Antiriad2097

Re: Numeric Pad Amiga Games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:33 am

The first one that springs to mind is F/A-18 Interceptor, a relatively early arcadey flight sim, notable for its extremely fast solid filled 3D at the time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Pretty much all the Microprose games use the numeric pad in some form. The flight simulators use it to control the camera, and the strategy games - Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, etc. - use it as an eight direction cursor. A lot of Amiga ports duped these controls over to other keys or the mouse though, particularly the ones ported after the Amiga 600 arrived, so they're not necessarily unplayable.

coevin

Post by coevin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:38 pm

I remember an Asterix game using it, can't remember the title tho.