Advice on what Pi to buy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Re: Advice on what Pi to buy

Post by MattyC64c » Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:19 am
RE: screen tearing:

In the RetroArch config file (/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg), ensure that video_vsync = true
The problem is it's already set to = true.

Any ideas? Raspbian seems to have a sync issue anyway in the desktop. Since Retropie for Pi4 is in beta, it has to run on top of Rasbian. Is there any way to make Raspian V-SYNC?

As for quitting a game, I realised I need to press Start as well, DOH!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm

You could try disabling xcompmgr, as that seems to fix tearing issues in a lot of cases. You might lose a view visual effects on your desktop but nothing that should bother RetroArch.

The fundamental problem is that the Pi 4 has a different GPU to all previous models and the drivers are still being worked on. Things should gradually settle down over time.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 20, 2020 3:47 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm
You could try disabling xcompmgr, as that seems to fix tearing issues in a lot of cases.
That worked perfectly. Not only is the tearing gone, but the games are also much smoother. 👍

Now I've got one last BIG ISSUE. Save and load states. I can't get it to work at all.

It's supposed to be:

Select + Right Shoulder = Save to Current Save Slot
Select + Left Shoulder = Load from Current Save Slot

There's some image at the bottom of the screen too, not showing on my Retropie. I don't even know if the button I've mapped to SELECT is even working. How do check this? Is there a keyboard shortcut instead?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 am

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 am

I did fix the button mapping issue, I was pressing the wrong button DOH!

8GB model? Wow

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 am

Quick question, how is N64 emulation on these things? I have it running, ish, on my snes mini but it's not really great

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 am
Quick question, how is N64 emulation on these things? I have it running, ish, on my snes mini but it's not really great
Thats N64 emulation for you

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 am
My understanding is that the main problem with N64 emulation isn't lack of computer power but an inability to accurately recreate the original hardware (much like the Atari Jaguar). There is nothing wrong with the ROM dumps; they all work perfectly on my Everdrive 64 cartridge on the original hardware.

I'd say anything that can handle the PS1 should be able to handle the N64 with room to spare but the problem is down to either lack of technical information about the hardware or lack of motivation from emulator developers to act on it (for the Jaguar, I suspect an elitist community that's more into limited edition homebrew releases than open source emulation to be the root of the problem but the N64 doesn't have a community like that so the problem lies elsewhere).

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 pm

That's not quite true. The hardware is pretty well understood and not that much more complex to emulate than the PS1 at base level. It's just that the GPU works quite differently to that of a modern one and there's a trade-off between speed and accurate rendering.

The net result is that if you want good N64 emulation you're going to need a 4GHz i7 to run Project64+Angrylion. On a Raspberry Pi though, you've got to live with Mupen64+Rice or maybe Glide64. Most games should be playable, just not necessarily looking authentic.