Gift advice. capcom home arcade vs pandoras box.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

icemanxman

Gift advice. capcom home arcade vs pandoras box.

Post by icemanxman » Tue May 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi

I was gonna buy the capcom home arcade as a gift for my nephews and neices however I then realised theresthe pandoras box which has infinitely more games. However I consider that it may be made of cheap chinese parts and the games may not even work.

Can you recommend which might be better to get and why based on the product themselves. Its for 90s gaming father, 12 year old daughter and 2 boys, 5 and 9.

Even if you think its not the best idea for them, can you still advise on capcom home arcade vs pandoras box?

Thanks.

DPrinny

Re: Gift advice. capcom home arcade vs pandoras box.

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm

I think its more a case of its something you want, id see what they would want as most kids wont want to play on it

The Capcom home arcade while nice has issues with the emulation, but it is all official licensed games, the joystick its self is ok
Pandora's box based systems can be iffy, all the ROMs are unlicensed and you might get the odd "naughty" title (Galspanic is one) and the parts quality can range from good to pish

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 12, 2020 6:57 pm

I'd definitely go with Capcom. They're one of the few companies out there that actually seem to give two hoots about gamers these days, so are worth supporting. The Home Arcade, as a plug and play device, requires no technical knowledge to set up and use so is suitable for any children you'd consider mature enough to play the games on it. It has some emulation issues but, with a small and curated set of games, they're relatively minor.

If you just want to pirated arcade games, install MAME on a decent PC with at least an Intel i3/AMD Ryzen 3 CPU. Cheap ARM cores like the ones in both of these devices just aren't up to the job and will give you a lot of glitches and slowdown.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm

A modded PlayStation Classic is the best home emulation solution for 99% of people

You don't have the actually modify the machine in anyway *.
All emulators and games are launched through a single unified interface.
The set-up is literally as simple as dragging a few files onto a USB key and then plugging that into your machine.
Performance is rock solid on anything released before the year 2000.
The pad works great for mame, cps3, snes, nes and megadrive games.
Got a class interface wallpapers, bezels etc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm
A modded PlayStation Classic is the best home emulation solution for 99% of people

You don't have the actually modify the machine in anyway *.
All emulators and games are launched through a single unified interface.
The set-up is literally as simple as dragging a few files onto a USB key and then plugging that into your machine.
Performance is rock solid on anything released before the year 2000.
The pad works great for mame, cps3, snes, nes and megadrive games.
Got a class interface wallpapers, bezels etc
I must be one of the 1% then. :lol:

Seriously, while I'd thoroughly recommend hacking the PS Classic to get it to live up to its promise, by pretty much any objective standard it's a weaker emulation box than even the Raspberry Pi.

Practically every system has an easily installed unified emulation interface these days if you want it too, in the shape of RetroArch, so those aren't plus points for the PS Classic. Sure, it's an easier device to hack than an original Xbox or a PSP, but time has moved on. There are cheap, open systems that you don't have to hack that'll do a better job now.

Performance of emulators on the PS Classic is not rock solid beyond the 16-bit era, and even that's debatable when you compare it with things like the sound emulation of higan on a PC. It's obviously designed to emulate the PS, and can do a good enough job with that if you don't mind the odd bit of slow down and/or dropped frames. However, I seem to recall the N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast were released before 2000 and it's certainly not rock solid with those. If you want to emulate them, you'd be slightly better off with a Raspberry Pi 4, but that's far from perfect. Then there are all the Windows 95/98 games released before 2000, and good luck getting them to run on anything but compatible PC hardware.

The pads are pretty good though, at least so long as you don't need analogue sticks, and it's worth picking up a cut-price PS Classic just for them. Mind you, I'm guessing the OP was wanting something more along the lines of arcade sticks, going by the systems mentioned.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am

I'd choose a RasPi running RetroPie over a modded PS Classic.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 am

The PS classic is a cheap option though, being a self contained solution with almost all you need to plug and play, just adding the cost of a small memory stick. A Pi with case, controllers etc will overall be much more expensive.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 am
The PS classic is a cheap option though, being a self contained solution with almost all you need to plug and play, just adding the cost of a small memory stick. A Pi with case, controllers etc will overall be much more expensive.
One of the advantages of the Pi is that you've probably already got a microSD card, the cables and power supply because they're just off-the-shelf items. It'll work with nearly any USB/wireless/Bluetooth controller you might already have including the ones for current generation consoles and PCs. You'd still need to buy a case and a heat sink, but that's about it and there are plenty to choose from for under a tenner. So, £40-50 is generally what you're looking at, with any more than that going on controllers that you want rather than what comes as part of a bundle. So, you can go wireless on the sofa, hook up a keyboard and emulate computers, or even get that twin arcade stick setup that the products discussed by the OP were based around.

Also, the supply of dirt cheap Playstation Classics seems to have pretty much dried up now and you're pretty much back to paying full price for one from the few people still selling it; even second hand units on eBay won't get you much of a discount by the looks of things. I suppose if you've already bought one, and it's sitting around gathering dust after the initial disappointment, it's worth hacking it in order to get it to live up to its full potential. Paying the thick end of £100 as an emulation box definitely ain't worth it though.

Still, comparing either of those to the Capcom Home Arcade is always going to be an apples-to-oranges thing. It's a unique product in terms of its design and a rare chance to get your hands on licensed copies of some arcade classics. I've yet to try one one, but the controls are reportedly very good and the emulation is at least passable. It's just a very niche product compared to something like the SNES Classic.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:22 am

The Capcom stick is solid, superb physically with a great set of games. Whether it would be varied enough for young kids is debateable though.
Certainly something I didn't need as such, but very happy I picked it up.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 pm

icemanxman wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Hi

I was gonna buy the capcom home arcade as a gift for my nephews and neices however I then realised theresthe pandoras box which has infinitely more games. However I consider that it may be made of cheap chinese parts and the games may not even work.

Can you recommend which might be better to get and why based on the product themselves. Its for 90s gaming father, 12 year old daughter and 2 boys, 5 and 9.

Even if you think its not the best idea for them, can you still advise on capcom home arcade vs pandoras box?

Thanks.
There's not much variety on that Capcom box and personally I wouldn't go anywhere near the Pandoras box, it looks like crappy emulation device. If you want retro for tor this audience then I'd suggest a Mega Drive Mini or a SNES Classic as both have an excellent variety of games.
Xbox Live: RetroBob