Game I cannot find

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tellasar

Game I cannot find

Post by Tellasar » Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Hello, I was playing some quite old games back in the days and I was trying to find them.
I was able to find all of them except one.

One of them was Outlive, another one was Pekka Kana 2 and there is one more game I really enjoyed playing probably around the same time as Outlive and Pekka Kanna so it could be like 2002-5 or something.

I don't have a very strong memory of it, because it was kinda hard for me as I was very young and I didn't get very far, but I will try to describe it as well as I can.

I think it was a 2D game with camera from above.
You were playing a character, that was throwing hammers that were spinning.
At some point I think you were able to get an upgrade so you were not throwing only one hammer in front of you but 3 hammers at the same time.
And there was a SKULL boss in a pretty big boss room that was charging on you very fast and often it was quite far so you couldn't even see where he is. That level was giving me a hard time.
(And I think there was a one level where there were multiple big enemies and when you woke them all up you were pretty much dead so you had to kill them 1 by 1 somehow. Don't take this one too seriously. This is like very very "weak" memory I have.)

RetroBob

Re: Game I cannot find

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 pm

I love the 'help me find a game' threads. If it wasn't for the mention of 3D Id have maybe suggested Wonderboy/Adventure island.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun May 10, 2020 10:01 am

And if in doubt, reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick

Some sort of Castlevania though?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Tellasar

Post by Tellasar » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:01 am
And if in doubt, reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick

Some sort of Castlevania though?
Thanks, I will try the reddit too.

And yeah, it was something in that theme, but the PoV was from above I'm like 90% sure.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:34 pm

With Pekka Kana 2 being a game released at a coder convention, if the one you're looking for is from a similar background it could be hard to pin down. Thankfully most of these things are recorded somewhere if you search, but finding someone who remembers a random description and matches it to the game is going to need some luck. Some sketches indicating what you remember the game looking like, no matter how simplistic, can really help sometimes.

I'm assuming it's also a PC game?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

skooldaze_eric

Post by skooldaze_eric » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 am

It sounds like Hammerwatch although that would be too recent. Possibly Mageslayer which was a late 90s Gauntlet type game, you do throw axes but I'm not sure about the other bits.