Has anyone played the Megadrive Classics collection on Switch?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Has anyone played the Megadrive Classics collection on Switch?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Hopefully not a thicko question BUT...are the joycon-related lag issues on games negotiated by playing on a Switch Lite where it's all built-in?!?
As Matt pointed out earlier, you can turn off the wireless connection on the full fat Switch anyway. I've not noticed significant lag, but I'm not one of those OMG 60hurtz or nothing players
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Hopefully not a thicko question BUT...are the joycon-related lag issues on games negotiated by playing on a Switch Lite where it's all built-in?!?
As Matt pointed out earlier, you can turn off the wireless connection on the full fat Switch anyway. I've not noticed significant lag, but I'm not one of those OMG 60hurtz or nothing players
A Lite is effectively a wired controller, so no wireless lag. Just bear in mind that that's not the only source of lag.

Also, Switch games tend to give quite big dead spots to the analogue sticks to mitigate against Joy-Con drift, so something with an actual D-pad can help a bit too.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 pm

I've never played any games on the switch, and wouldn't if there are lots of reports of lagging and/or poor conversions!

However, at the same time I'm in favour of anything that gets the Mega Drive out there again!
Press Play On Tape

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:25 am

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 pm
I've never played any games on the switch, and wouldn't if there are lots of reports of lagging and/or poor conversions!

However, at the same time I'm in favour of anything that gets the Mega Drive out there again!
I don't own a Switch either but I don't believe this is typical of the console; from what I've heard, the reports are good and there are plenty of reasons to buy a Switch; it's just that this isn't one of them and, let's face it, it would be a poor state of affairs if all the console had to recommend it was good emulation of a 30 year old system.

If anything, I find it depressing that they have to keep re-releasing the same tired old compilation (give or take a few changes in game titles) since the PS2 era. Most people who are interested in old games know what the Mega Drive is about by now. I'd rather they got some other consoles and old software houses out there - the Rare compilation for XBOne was long overdue and comprehensive releases for the Sega Master System or Konami or SNK wouldn't go amiss either.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:22 pm

To be fair to Sega, there are twice as many games in the package now as there was in the PS2 era, so they have expanded the selection a fair bit. On the emulation front, the Steam version sports a host of novel features such as online high scores, fast forward/rewind, support for mods, and even VR. It sounds like the Switch version needs a bit of work, but there's a bit more than endless recycling going on here; I'd even hold this up as one of the best retro compilations, at least if you're getting it on the right platform.

Still, I get the point. Getting equivalent products out for the Master System, and hopefully the Saturn and Dreamcast too although they'd have additional issues with getting the emulation to a high enough standard, would probably generate more excitement from the people who've already got something similar.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:58 am

I own the Megadrive Collection for PSP, PS3 and PS4. I'd say the PS3 version is probably the best since the PSP lacks quite a few games including the SoR series and the PS4 one doesn't have Ecco etc. The PS3 one also has Sonic 3 and S&K which makes it quite good. The PS3 one also let you unlock a couple of Master System games too, including Fantasy Zone, so it's a shame they couldn't just include these on the current gen packs. With all these collections though, there doesn't seem any logical reason they couldn't just include pretty much every Sega game really, or at least say, the top 100.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 am

Thanks for this, I never wanted the Switch edition anyway as I want the XBOX Achievements! :o
Does anyone have this game on the XB1 and knows about the GS Available? :?:
Is it hard or easy to get achievements may I ask?
:?:
I just am not liking buying games at the moment with really hard Achievements! :evil:
Having said that I am not very good lol! :oops:

dadicamillette

Post by dadicamillette » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:34 pm

I played it a little bit, but without the Megadrive controller the sensations are different

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:42 pm

MattySlug wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 am
Thanks for this, I never wanted the Switch edition anyway as I want the XBOX Achievements! :o
Does anyone have this game on the XB1 and knows about the GS Available? :?:
Is it hard or easy to get achievements may I ask?
:?:
I just am not liking buying games at the moment with really hard Achievements! :evil:
Having said that I am not very good lol! :oops:
Well the 360 collection achievements were very easy, the odd time consumer but beyond that an easy 1000g. I suspect the XBONE collection is similar.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:16 am

Thanks ALK!
It's still on sale at around $38 AUD Here, but I am just waiting on a hopeful cheaper price 8)