Has anyone played the Megadrive Classics collection on Switch?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alex79uk2

Has anyone played the Megadrive Classics collection on Switch?

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm really tempted by the Sega Megadrive Collection which is currently in the eShop sale. I already have it on PS4 but think I'd get a lot more use out of it on a handheld.

Trouble is, I've read such mixed reports online. Some people say the input lag is unbearable and some say they've hardly noticed it. I thought I'd ask on this forum since it's likely populated by the people who remember the games first time around and would have a more informed opinion!

I realise the M2 emulation on the Sega Ages games is leagues ahead of the work on this collection, but it's a cheap way of getting a lot of games (and they've not done the Streets Of Rage trilogy yet!) If anyone has any experience of the Switch port of this collection I'd really appreciate any input-lag related thoughts.

Thank you :)

RetroBob

Re: Has anyone played the Megadrive Classics collection on Switch?

Post by RetroBob » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:20 pm

DO NOT BUY.

DO NOT

BUY.

I bought this and was shocked by how bad the lag is, it's really noticable. Your money is better spent on the SEGA AGES games by M2.

It doesn't matter how much they charge, even if it's free, it's still a mess.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Ah man, that's disappointing. Glad I checked because I've been so close to grabbing it over the last two days. It's a shame the eShop say a blanket no to refunds or I'd have just given it a try.

That's mad though really, there is so much online about it, and they clearly never fixed it. Really shoddy work.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:27 pm

I handed my Switch to a friend who hadn't seen any reviews, loaded it up and just asked him "what's wrong with this?" He responded with the correct answer after less than 30 seconds on Sonic, which I feel says a lot.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 pm

From what I can gather it's a straight port of the Steam version, which has known latency issues that can be somewhat mitigated by turning off vsync and filters.

There's just additional latency on the Switch when you're using a wireless controller (including joycons) and I think that tips it over the bar for a lot of people. If you can put your Switch into airplane mode, so that the joycons communicate directly with the Switch that might just take it back under.

On the other hand, those still playing games on original hardware and a CRT TV are always going to find it a bit laggy.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:52 am

Second on the SEGA Ages downloads.

You might not get as many games but each game has been handled and cared with a bunch of extra features that make em worth the price, even more so when they're in a Sale like they are now.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:04 am

It's always a shame when compilation sets are done so badly. I love the mega collection on 360, when compilations are done well they are wonderful. It's just so annoying when they are shoddy, that goes for these hardware items that appear as well, attempting to cash in on passionate retro game fans by producing crap and trying to charge a premium for it

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am

It's a pain, I had the PS3 and PSP collections and don't ever remember there being an issue with those, or at least I didn't notice at the time. No excuse though when M2 are banging out perfect versions. Just wish they'd do a SoR collection.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:26 am

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am
It's a pain, I had the PS3 and PSP collections and don't ever remember there being an issue with those, or at least I didn't notice at the time. No excuse though when M2 are banging out perfect versions. Just wish they'd do a SoR collection.
Its the Switch, pretty much most games on it have input lag
DOOM (Classic) suffers badly from it

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am

I'm not sure I'd agree most games suffer from input lag. It's not something I've ever noticed at all really, including Doom Classic. Someone elsewhere said the NES and SNES online games are really bad too, but again I've not had any issues at all with those. I remember Super Mario World on the Wii having fairly bad lag, and when I first played it on the Switch thought to myself how much better it felt than that version.

Also - thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely will give this collection a miss.
Last edited by Alex79uk2 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am
I'm not sure I'd agree most games suffer from input lag. It's not something I've ever noticed at all really, including Doom Classic. Someone elsewhere said the NES and SNES online games are really bad too, but again I've not had any issues at all with those. I remember Super Mario World on the Wii having fairly bad lag, and when I first played it on the Switch thought to myself how much better it felt than that version.
I hadn't noticed lag on DOOM Classic either - that just shows how bad it is on the MD Classics, given that it's so noticable to me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Really? Its like a Press fire and move , then it fires, its not much but it messes me up

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:11 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:24 pm
Really? Its like a Press fire and move , then it fires, its not much but it messes me up
I reckon you are better at DOOM than me :-)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Hopefully not a thicko question BUT...are the joycon-related lag issues on games negotiated by playing on a Switch Lite where it's all built-in?!?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Hopefully not a thicko question BUT...are the joycon-related lag issues on games negotiated by playing on a Switch Lite where it's all built-in?!?
Interesting question, I'd be curious to know too.