Is it time for the PS1 to receive the retro treatment?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Would you like to see an in-depth retro feature on the PS1?

Yes, asap
41%
No, it's not retro enough yet
46%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 41

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:46 am

I reckon it's time for a look at first generation PS1 games , but maybe a bit early for a retrospection on the console itself

Maybe you should define "what's retro?" for consoles , not by when they were released , but when they "died" ?(i.e the last time they had mainstream titles
released for them?).Hence the Saturn being "retro" , (last major release in what ? 1998?) wheras the PSone isnt (last release 2 1/2 years ago)

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 am

I'm going to fit in mostly with the consensus here - whilst I would very much like to read a retroinspection on the PS1 it's probably too soon.

I do think that the PS1 is a bit of a special case, however - other consoles launched at a similar time (N64, Saturn, Jaguar) are all firmly 'retro' (sorry fredghostmaster, I'm a young'un) because they have long ceased production and have not had much in the way of new software released for quite some time. The PS1 had an unusually extended lifespan, to the point where the early games (Wipeout, Tomb Raider) are ripe for retro gamer but the later ones are not quite.

I also agree wholeheartedly that the line has to move, so yes, eventually the PS2 will be retro. But probably not for another 5-10 years and by that point we'll be downloading the mag direct to our brains as we will have run out of trees :shock:
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:28 am

Had to vote yes, it's over ten years since it was released and there's a whole heap of gems to be discovered.
真・豪鬼

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 am

I have to agree I'd like to see it yeah...but that may be because I've been playing loadsa PS games recently.

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am

I voted 'undecided'.

As said I think some of the older PS titles warrant consideration, and I would like to see some articles on them, but the newer games I don't think should be mentioned. I agree with the poster who says that there has to be a cut off point but obviously as time passes that point also moves.

I am not a big fan of Sony, but I respect what they managed with the Playstation. They managed to break into the Sega and Nintendo stranglehold and the currant console war is deemed to be between Microsoft and Sony. Ninendo are just sitting by and doing their own thing.