Knowing what you know now - would you do it differently?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Knowing what you know now - would you do it differently?

Post by Mantas » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:34 pm

We all regret the fact that we didn't hang onto our old systems, games, ZZap 64 collection etc. Games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Castlevania - SOTN, certain C64 disk games and some others I can't remember now all sell for crazy money now. Machines like the Vectrex can still set you back a decent wack. However, if these games were bought when they came out, they would have cost the standard high street price (obviously). But if you buy them now they can cost you the same if not less than their original high street price (except for the above games) . A lot of them actually cost less than what they originally sold for.

So my question is this...........is it worth buying games/systems and keeping them in mint condition in the hope that 10-20-30 years time you might get some decent returns from them. I mean how many of us have bought sealed Gizmondo's, Nokia N-Gage, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus etc as a future investment?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:55 pm

Vetrex actually sell for less now than they did then
In fact with a few exceptions , most retro games and systems sell for less now than they did when new , especially when you cosider how much less you get for your money nowadays

Only rare stuff like , say, Bubbler which only cost a tenner back then would make you much profit. Mostly only stuff that what hard to get hold of back in the day can be sold for any profit

If I could go back , I'd buy up all the Star Wars stuff and leave it sealed - now THAT would be worth a bob or two
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Vetrex actually sell for less now than they did then
In fact with a few exceptions , most retro games and systems sell for less now than they did when new , especially when you cosider how much less you get for your money nowadays
Thats exactly what I mean. You can get a boxed SNES for less than £20 now.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Mantas wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Vetrex actually sell for less now than they did then
Thats exactly what I mean. You can get a boxed SNES for less than £20 now.
I did ! - and got loose carts of Mario Kart , Mario World ,and boxed Pilot Wings and Starwing for a total of £20 . Would have cost e £100+ back in the day
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:07 pm

I've never bought anything as an investment, only to play.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've never bought anything as an investment, only to play.
Likewise. If I buy something new/mint, I'll try to keep it in as good a condition as possible (in case I do sell it on) but it won't stop me playing it.

My biggest gaming regret is not foreseeing my parents selling all the boxes of Speccy stuff and transformers/star wars toys from the attic and banning them from doing so. :evil:

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've never bought anything as an investment, only to play.
Yup, same here and i doubt i'd do things differently on that front... although most of my stuff is still in "storage" and i've never actually sold an item of hardware or software, just wore them out. The only thing i would do differently if i knew then what i know now is write better games! =-)