Critiques of the RPG genre

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

wagner

Critiques of the RPG genre

Post by wagner » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm looking for some genre critics of the '90s. There have been game designers strongly opposed to both FPS and RPG genre - advocates of exclusive markets, redefining principles, etc - and their interviews/devblogs are all lost. I'm looking to see if anyone has any references; physical or archived.
None of the current textbooks dig into foundational oppositions so to track anything off of them. The last time I saw any interviews regarding genre criticism it was a scanned version of an old magazine online. (unfortunately I can't remember the interviewee's name. irrc he was over 60 at the time.)
I also made a request on the related Wikipedia page (Role-Playing video game). Please feel free to contribute.
Last edited by wagner on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Re: Critiques of the RPG genre

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Edge magazine has been around since the 90s, early issues of that may give you some info as it was very centred on the industry side of things, not just a gamers mag.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 am

https://archive.org/details/the-games-machine

The Games machine seemed to do a lot of in-depth stuff

https://archive.org/details/computer-vi ... s-magazine
Also computer and video games did the same

wagner

Post by wagner » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm
Edge magazine has been around since the 90s, early issues of that may give you some info as it was very centred on the industry side of things, not just a gamers mag.
DPrinny wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 am
https://archive.org/details/the-games-machine

The Games machine seemed to do a lot of in-depth stuff

https://archive.org/details/computer-vi ... s-magazine
Also computer and video games did the same
Appreciated. I'll check them in time. If any specific issue - from any magazine - came to mind please share in this thread.

wagner

Post by wagner » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 pm

does anyone have a specific source in mind? I checked all of the issues from both Edge and The Games Machine, but no luck.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm

What exactly are you looking for?
Critical reviews of RPG games, or critical reviews of the industry!?

I used to have a book called 'Dungeons and Desktops' that has a lot of information about both RGP games and the companys that made them. That may be of some help.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm

wagner wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm
I'm looking for some genre critics of the '90s. There have been game designers strongly opposed to both FPS and RPG genre - advocates of exclusive markets, redefining principles, etc - and their interviews/devblogs are all lost. I'm looking to see if anyone has any references; physical or archived.
None of the current textbooks dig into foundational oppositions so to track anything off of them. The last time I saw any interviews regarding genre criticism it was a scanned version of an old magazine online. (unfortunately I can't remember the interviewee's name. irrc he was over 60 at the time.)
I also made a request on the related Wikipedia page (Role-Playing video game). Please feel free to contribute.
Do you mean Keith Campbell? He wrote both ‘into the valley’ for Commodore User and Adventure section for C&VG. He wrote articles about how he wasn’t keen on how Adventures where moving on from text adventures to what you mentioned. I’m going to need to check through my magazines for the exact interviews and that could take a while
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:19 am

GarryG wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm
What exactly are you looking for?
Critical reviews of RPG games, or critical reviews of the industry!?

I used to have a book called 'Dungeons and Desktops' that has a lot of information about both RGP games and the companys that made them. That may be of some help.
There's also The CRPG Book from Bitmap Books, with over 400 reviews, interviews and guides on running the old games on new hardware.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/ ... ying-games
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

wagner

Post by wagner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm
wagner wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm
Do you mean Keith Campbell? He wrote both ‘into the valley’ for Commodore User and Adventure section for C&VG. He wrote articles about how he wasn’t keen on how Adventures where moving on from text adventures to what you mentioned. I’m going to need to check through my magazines for the exact interviews and that could take a while
Thank you. Did you find the exact issue?

P.S: I also remembered that they mentioned a new-brand 3d game of his in the interview - one of colorful and abstract character design - which wasn't a financial success. Kinds of Adventures of Lolo come to mind.

wagner

Post by wagner » Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 am

Any new information on this topic?