Amiga musicians/C64 musicians

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Amiga musicians/C64 musicians

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am

I'm sitting here running through my business accounts listening to Amiga music via YouTube and I was wondering:

The C64 had iconic musicians like Hubbard, Galway, Gray, Daglish etc...

But what about the Amiga? I used to own 'Sounds Digital' by Allister Brimble - that was awesome! Wish I still had it. Also David Whittaker was better on the Amiga than he was on the C64 (in my honest opinion)...

Who else was there that stood out as iconic composers that should be idolised like those C64 music Gods?

Whazeboo

Re: Amiga musicians/C64 musicians

Post by Whazeboo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am

I think the Amiga did not have many musicians who are widely-known to the public.
My personal three are:

Chris Huelsbeck:
Also a great composer on the C64, Chris Huelsbeck's music really does shine on the Amiga. One does immediately recognise his style.
His music for Turrican I-III, Quik and Silva and Jim Power are my favourites.

Dean Evans:
I love the music by Ocean, even if their games were not always up to scratch. I often only did listen to the title tune and not playing the game at all. Compositions of Push-Over, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park are my favorites and happen to be by Dean Evans who I do not further know.

Martin Iveson:
Martin did provide music of many Core Design titles. He is as diverse as one can get: rock, funk, dance - it always perfectly suited the game. Favorites of mine are Heimdall, Bubba 'n' Stix. Premiere and Blastar.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Chris Huelsbeck is my favourite but you also have Richard Joseph, Allister Brimble, Barry Leitch, Tim Follin, Olog Gustafsson and Martin Iveson among others.
A lot of the great C64 musicians also worked on the Amiga.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm

The Amiga had a much stronger demoscene where the musicians were big names. Jesper Kyd. Romeo Knight. And so many others I'm forgetting.
They got much more memory available for their music and typically sounded that much better. They also didn't have to make something that would need to work together with soundeffects when played in-game.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I actually found the Sounds Digital album on Youtube. My thing with the Amiga is that although there are some fantastic tunes, the use of samples seemed to me, to take some of the skill away.
I remember playing Bionic Commando on the C64 just before I sold it to get an Amiga. Once I had the Amiga and a copy of Bionic Commando I couldn't help but think 'WTF! How can the music not be as good as the C64 version'...
But then there are games like Agony, Shadow of the Beast, Alien Breed 1 & 2 etc. where the music was just sublime.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Barry Leitch deserves a mention... And is interviewed in issue 201...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:58 am

merman wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:41 pm
Barry Leitch deserves a mention... And is interviewed in issue 201...
I read this earlier and wondered who Barry Leitch was.

Then whilst cleaning my car out, I found a CD in the glovebox - The Official Game Soundtrack to HORIZON CHASE TURBO by none other than Barry Leitch !!!!!!!!!!

So, this guy is still doing awesome music :D

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:58 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm
I actually found the Sounds Digital album on Youtube. My thing with the Amiga is that although there are some fantastic tunes, the use of samples seemed to me, to take some of the skill away.
I remember playing Bionic Commando on the C64 just before I sold it to get an Amiga. Once I had the Amiga and a copy of Bionic Commando I couldn't help but think 'WTF! How can the music not be as good as the C64 version'...
But then there are games like Agony, Shadow of the Beast, Alien Breed 1 & 2 etc. where the music was just sublime.
You should check out Bandcamp, you will find both Allister Brimble and Chris Huelsbeck on there with Sounds Digital still available plus other albums including tracks from the other games you have mentioned. Matt Gray is also on there.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 am

Bandcamp. Sounds familiar. This one time, at bandcamp - ah! not that one :D

Will have a look (Matt Gray is awesome)

ommadawnyawn

Post by ommadawnyawn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:58 pm

The "lowest common denominator" on Amiga was insanely high, it's almost hard to find bad sounding games compared to other contemporary platforms.

Some of my fave composers:
Chris Hülsbeck/Huelsbeck​
Rock 'n Roll (AMI), ​R-Type (AMI, different)
Turrican II (AMI, 1991), Super Turrican (SNES, 1993), Turrican 3: Payment Day/Mega Turrican (AMI, 1993), Turrican (AMI), Apidya (AMI, 1992), Jim Power (AMI, 1992), Battle Isle (AMI, 1991), Z-Out (AMI, 1990/1991?), The Adventures of Quik & Silva (AMI, 1991), Apprentice (AMI), Gem'X (AMI, 1991), X-Out (AMI), Bundesliga Manager Hattrick/Football Limited (AMI, 1994),

Barry Leitch (BAZ, Imagitec)
​Utopia: The Creation of a Nation (AMI, 1991), Harlequin (AMI, 1992), Pegasus (AMI, 1991), Super Cars II (AMI, 1991), Lotus 2/Lotus II (AMI, 1991) w/ Patrick Phelan?, Lethal Weapon (AMI, 1992) w/ Dean Evans, Hero Quest (AMI, 1992), Zone Warrior (AMI, 1991)

David Whittaker
Shadow of the Beast (AMI), Bubble Bobble (AMI Arrangement), ​Obliterator (AMI), Dogs of War (AMI), Platoon (AMI arrangement), Garfield: Big Fat Hairy Deal (AMI), ​Menace (AMI), ​Quadralien (AMI), Pandora (AMI), ​Xenon 2: Megablast (AMI) w/ Bomb the Bass

Jeroen Tel (Wave)/Maniacs of Noise
​Onslaught (AMI)
Supremacy/Overlord (AMI, 1990), Unreal (AMI) w/ Charles Deenen as Maniacs of Noise, Agony (AMI, 1992) w/ Timothy Brian Wright (title) & Martin Iveson & Robert Ling & Franck Sauer (title) & Martin Wall & Allister Brimble & Matthew Simmonds, Mysterious Worlds (AMI) w/ Charles Deenen as Maniacs of Noise, Rubicon (AMI, 1992) w/ Charles Deenen as Maniacs of Noise

Jochen Hippel (Mad Max)
Leavin' Teramis (AMI), Amberstar (AMI, 1992), Last Ninja Remix (AMI arrangements), Dragonflight (AMI), A Prehistoric Tale (AMI), Ghost Battle (AMI, 1991), B.C. Kid/Bonk (AMI, 1992, different) w/ Chris Hülsbeck? & Rudolf Stember?, Enchanted Land (AMI), Wings of Death (AMI), Lethal Xcess: Wings of Death II (AMI), Tower FRA (AMI), Rings of Medusa II: Return of Medusa (AMI, 1991), Tangram (AMI), Monster Business (AMI, 1991)

Stéphane Picq
Dune (AMI) w/ Alexandre Ekian?, KGB/Conspiracy? (AMI) w/ Alexandre Ekian, Extase (AMI) w/ Philippe Eidel & Arnaud Devos & The Bulgarian Voices, Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess (AMI), Jumping Jack'son (AMI), Mystical (AMI)

Tim Follin
L.E.D. Storm/LED Storm (AMI)​, Ghouls 'n Ghosts (AMI), Sly Spy (AMI)
Gauntlet III (AMI, 1992) w/ Geoff Follin

​Charles Deenen (Chucky D, Maniacs of Noise)
Unreal (AMI) w/ Jeroen Tel, The Lost Vikings (AMI, 1993 or 1992?), ​Mysterious Worlds (AMI) w/ Jeroen Tel, Rubicon (AMI, 1992) w/ Jeroen Tel

Allister Brimble (Makko?)
Assassin & Assassin: Special Edition (AMI, 1992), Agony (AMI, 1992) w/ Timothy Brian Wright (title) & Martin Iveson & Robert Ling & Franck Sauer (title) & Martin Wall & Jeroen Tel & Matthew Simmonds, Alien Breed (AMI, 1991), Project X (AMI, 1992), Body Blows Galactic (AMI, 1993), SubWar 2050 (AMI, 1993), Body Blows (AMI, 1993) w/ Christopher Brimble & Daniel J. Burke & Gary Nicholas & Steven Nicholas, Alien Breed II: The Horror Continues (AMI, 1993), Alien Breed: Tower Assault (AMI, 1994), Superfrog (AMI, 1993), Full Contact (AMI) w/ Jimmy Fredriksson, Troddlers (AMI ver., 1992), Miami Chase (AMI), Kamikaze (AMI), Bubble and Squeak (AMI, 1994), Indy Heat (AMI, 1992)

Timothy Brian Wright (Tim Wright)
Agony (AMI, 1992)(title) w/ Jeroen Tel & Martin Iveson & Robert Ling & Franck Sauer (title) & Martin Wall & Allister Brimble & Matthew Simmonds, Shadow of the Beast II (AMI) w/ Lee Wright, Killing Game Show/Fatal Rewind (AMI) w/ Ray Norrish, Leander/Galahad (AMI, 1991) w/ Matthew Simmonds & Jon Burton, Shadow of the Beast III (AMI, 1992) w/ Lee Wright, Puggsy (AMI, 1994), PowerMonger/Power Monger (AMI), Awesome (AMI) w/ Lee Wright, Lemmings (AMI, 1991) w/ Brian Johnston

Jason A. S. Whitely/Jason Whitely
Space Hulk (AMI), Road Rash (AMI, 1992)(different), Desert Strike (AMI, 1993)(different), John Madden Football (AMI arrangements, 1992)(partially different)

Chris Glaister
Lost Patrol (AMI)
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Some names I've not seen for a long time there... thanks for the memory refresh! Will go hunt some of that down and have a good old listen.

I still can't get as nostalgic over Amiga music like I do over C64 music though.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:26 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Some names I've not seen for a long time there... thanks for the memory refresh! Will go hunt some of that down and have a good old listen.

I still can't get as nostalgic over Amiga music like I do over C64 music though.
I get that. While there have been some great Amiga remixes, I still prefer listening to C64 remixes personally.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Huelsbeck, Hippel and Whittaker would make my podium.

Among those not mentioned I think Karsten Obarski (author of SoundTracker) deserves a mention, he did some great tracks (Amegas, Sarcophaser, Crystal Hammer and Future Tank to name a few).

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark