Samurais & Ninjas

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Samurais & Ninjas

Post by pratty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06 pm

I stumbled across a youtube video listing the best Samurai and Ninja games, though I thought it might be a good topic to get discussion going again.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any games I've really played and enjoyed about ancient Japan or China, and as a fan of martial art films that's an area of gaming I'd like to explore. I briefly dabbled in Red Steel 2 which had fused Samurais with a Western setting. And the Soul Calibur had quite a few a different period Asian martial artist characters.

So what are our favourite games featuring Samurais and/or Ninjas and the like? And who are our favourite characters from these games?

Can be a historical or fantasy setting, set in Japan or China, or anywhere really. And can be any genre, fighting, "muso" hack-and-slash, RPG, platformer, whatever.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

JamesC

Re: Samurais & Ninjas

Post by JamesC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am

There must be hundreds of Ninja/Samurai games out there but some of the obvious ones are Shinobi (personal favourites are Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III on Megadrive, but you can't really go wrong with Shinobi in general), Last Ninja on various home computers and the Tenchu games on PS1/PS2.
I really like single player action/adventure games so these are all great for me. If you're into other genres you may want to look at something like Ninja Masters or Samurai Showdown which are both 1 on 1 fighters, or if you like a bit of arcadey scrolling beat em up fun then Ninja Kids is a good laugh.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 pm

JamesC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am
There must be hundreds of Ninja/Samurai games out there but some of the obvious ones are Shinobi (personal favourites are Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III on Megadrive, but you can't really go wrong with Shinobi in general), Last Ninja on various home computers and the Tenchu games on PS1/PS2.
I really like single player action/adventure games so these are all great for me. If you're into other genres you may want to look at something like Ninja Masters or Samurai Showdown which are both 1 on 1 fighters, or if you like a bit of arcadey scrolling beat em up fun then Ninja Kids is a good laugh.
Yeah Shinobi is a classic ninja but it never interested me for some reason. Tenchu probably sounds more like my kind of Ninja game, or the more recent Ninja Gaiden games maybe.

Onimusha interests me on the Samurai side of things, I might check out the first game when I get a larger Switch SD card.

The Koei tecmo Muso games interest me too.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm

this bloody sweat bringer
play this for half an hour and you'll lost TEN POUNDS!

also does thinking about mai shiranui and orchid count?
:?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 am

How about Second Samurai? I played on ST, but it's on various platforms.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 am
And the original First Samurai (named that as a joke because some of the team had previously worked on The Last Ninja...)

Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo is one of my favourites, with its Karma system (the lead character, a rabbit, will commit seppuku if you do bad things and run out of Karma).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 am

merman wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:09 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 am
And the original First Samurai (named that as a joke because some of the team had previously worked on The Last Ninja...)
Ha, First Samurai is the game I was thinking of! For some reason I had it in my head the first game was something different.

I have a soft spot for Shadow Dancer as it was at Butlins one year in my youth. Barely ninja related, since it's in a modern setting, but a decent game of its type.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:12 pm

For Samurai's - I've always loved the Samurai Shodown series. But my pick for best would no doubt be both Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan and Ishin from Sega (PS3 and PS4 respectively). Amazing games pack with content, combat and lots of Yakuza action and silliness (and Mahjong).

Ninja wise it'd have to be Shinobi/Shadow Dancer (the MD version of SD,not the arcade version). Ninja Cop kinda? counts I guess, well it has ninja in the name.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 am

On a more modern gaming note (though it could easily have been an 8 bit game), there's One Strike on the Switch. Cheap as chips, often on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDBvAXQe08

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:41 am

JamesC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am
This ^^. Shinobi series are my favourite games ever. I do think that Megadrive Shadow Dancer is the best one
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 am

Megadrive kabuki Mystical fighter scrolling fighter set in feudal that’s ridiculously easy to 1cc. You can pick people up by their feet and swing them around before launching them at other people.

Takeda Shingen another belt scroller Arcade game by Jaleco and later converted to the PC Engine.

Kuon PS2 set in feudal Japan but a survival horror the scariest game I have ever played.

Bushido Blade PS1 I found this a bit rubbish as you die in 1 hit. Obviously in real life you probably die by running through with a sword

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 am

Dororo Blood May tell PS2 insanely expensive over a ton to buy. Samurai with a gun hand fighting Japanese Demons
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:37 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:12 pm
For Samurai's - I've always loved the Samurai Shodown series.
I really liked the look of the recent one, it's supposed to be coming to the Switch but I don't know when.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden
Last Ninja
Press Play On Tape

icemann

Post by icemann » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:46 am

Ninja Golf
Shinobi
Tenchu