Retro Gaming Spotlight: Asteroids

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MMohammed

Retro Gaming Spotlight: Asteroids

Post by MMohammed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:33 am

There aren’t too many conversations about retro games that can survive without at least mentioning Asteroids. Released originally back in 1979, this Atari classic was designed by Lyle Rains, Dominic Walsh, and Ed Logg. It took considerable inspiration from a predecessor you might’ve heard of: Lunar Lander.

Simply put, the goal of this game was to destroy asteroids and saucers in motion. Each level comes with larger asteroids that break up into smaller, faster moving ones when shot. A large saucer will eventually make its way onto the screen, accompanied by a smaller version that is quicker and harder to shoot down.

Among the more interesting details was the game’s vector screen design, allowing for the map to wrap around the screen. Consequently, saucers or asteroids that disappeared into one edge of the screen reappeared from the opposite end of the screen.

The massive popularity of Asteroids coincided with Atari’s work developing Lunar Lander. In fact, it was so high in demand that copies of Asteroids were routinely shipped in Lunar Lander cabinets. Asteroids is the continuation of an earlier, unfinished project called Cosmos. It was further inspired by Space War!, Space Invaders, and Computer Science.

Selling over 70,000 units, the release of Asteroids overshadowed Space Invaders and became Atari’s all-time best selling arcade game. It was ported to several consoles in the 80s and saw re-releases in the early 90s as well. Most recently, a ROM file of the game’s prototype was released in 2017.

Check out the Retro Gamer post on this classic here:
https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/asteroids/

Gameplay: Players controlled a triangular ship that they could rotate left and right as well as thrust forward. The ship could also be sent into hyperspace, disappearing and then reappearing in a randomly determined point on the screen.

Play: The asteroids and saucers are generally easy to shoot down, but the smallest misstep can mean the end.

Crusty Starfish

Re: Retro Gaming Spotlight: Asteroids

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 pm

Aren't you going to say hi to everyone MMohammed? I noticed you pop up as a moderator and thought it was just another silent name at the top of each section as usual!

But you are here, posting. So, who are you. Are you actually in the UK or are we still being looked after from Trumpsville? What are your fave computers (and consoles)? Are you a part of the RG team or just another Future humanmodbot?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:51 am

I can only assume he replaces the mod who was banned for posting links to pirated ROMs :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:51 am
I can only assume he replaces the mod who was banned for posting links to pirated ROMs :lol:
:lol: :lol:

MMohammed

Post by MMohammed » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 pm
Aren't you going to say hi to everyone MMohammed? I noticed you pop up as a moderator and thought it was just another silent name at the top of each section as usual!

But you are here, posting. So, who are you. Are you actually in the UK or are we still being looked after from Trumpsville? What are your fave computers (and consoles)? Are you a part of the RG team or just another Future humanmodbot?
Hey there! So I am in the UK (based in London) and part of the Community team. HOWEVER, I am also a Floridian, which makes me objectively awful. Having said that, happy to be here and will be posting regularly for the Retro Gaming spotlight. I am definitely human (or as close to one as a Floridian can be) and my favourite console is a tough choice between Dreamcast and the N64. That's what my sisters and I remember playing together the most!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 pm

MMohammed wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:35 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:

Hey there! So I am in the UK (based in London) and part of the Community team. HOWEVER, I am also a Floridian, which makes me objectively awful. Having said that, happy to be here and will be posting regularly for the Retro Gaming spotlight. I am definitely human (or as close to one as a Floridian can be) and my favourite console is a tough choice between Dreamcast and the N64. That's what my sisters and I remember playing together the most!
A human! Well, almost :lol: Floridian?! Sounds like a game Andrew Braybrook would write :lol:

So, what is it? Dreamcast or N64 AND more importantly..................................... C64 or Spectrum (Amstrad is not a choice).

MMohammed

Post by MMohammed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 pm
MMohammed wrote:
Crusty Starfish wrote:

A human! Well, almost :lol: Floridian?! Sounds like a game Andrew Braybrook would write :lol:

So, what is it? Dreamcast or N64 AND more importantly..................................... C64 or Spectrum (Amstrad is not a choice).
Ha! Floridians are, essentially, incorrect code brought to some sort of 'life'

If I had to choose...Dreamcast. It's one of the first instances I can remember of desperately wanting a system and not being able to afford it at all.

Also....definitely Commodore. My dad used his system back in the day to introduce me to some of his favs - Pacman, Tetris, etc. And yourself?

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 pm

MMohammed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 pm
MMohammed wrote:

Ha! Floridians are, essentially, incorrect code brought to some sort of 'life'

If I had to choose...Dreamcast. It's one of the first instances I can remember of desperately wanting a system and not being able to afford it at all.

Also....definitely Commodore. My dad used his system back in the day to introduce me to some of his favs - Pacman, Tetris, etc. And yourself?
Well, given the choice of Dreamcast or N64 it would 100% be Dreamcast. And C64 or Spectrum............. there is only the C64.

So, we agree on systems. Spiffing :)

Now - Asteroids. Loved it as a kid in the arcades. Never been any good at it though.

MMohammed

Post by MMohammed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am

The directional mechanics always got the best of me in Asteroids. For someone of middling reflexes at 10 (reflexes that seemed, somehow, to regress with age. Go figure), it was...challenging.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:30 am

MMohammed wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am
The directional mechanics always got the best of me in Asteroids. For someone of middling reflexes at 10 (reflexes that seemed, somehow, to regress with age. Go figure), it was...challenging.
That's it! Once I'd left the middle of the screen I ended up thrusting every 2 seconds causing me to go 5 million MPH into an asteroid. :lol:

MMohammed

Post by MMohammed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:30 am
MMohammed wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am
That's it! Once I'd left the middle of the screen I ended up thrusting every 2 seconds causing me to go 5 million MPH into an asteroid. :lol:
Boy oh boy, I couldn't play that game in public anymore lol

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:48 am

Mine Storm on the Vectrex is an excellent variation on it, starting with standard asteroids patterns then adding things like homing mines. Shame the built in game is bugged, but the sequel patches that if you can get it (or have a flash cart).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.