Did the ability to copy games on the Amiga help Commodore's profits or harm them?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Andy Dale

Did the ability to copy games on the Amiga help Commodore's profits or harm them?

Post by Andy Dale » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:51 pm

I know very little about the Amiga so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I wanted to know whether all the rampant piracy helped Commodore sell more systems and make a profit, or whether this piracy harmed their profits by affecting sales of authentic copies of the games.

Thanks

Antiriad2097

Re: Did the ability to copy games on the Amiga help Commodore's profits or harm them?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Since Commodore weren't significant game publishers, the impact on game sales wouldn't have affected them. It wasn't like Nintendo where publishers had to pay to put games on the system, anyone could create and publish Amiga games without any contact with Commodore.

That being the case, ease of access to free or low cost games certainly didn't hurt Amiga sales and profits.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Re: Did the ability to copy games on the Amiga help Commodore's profits or harm them?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:28 am

People bought the Amiga until we got to the stage where arcade-style games (eg SFII) were significantly better, but more importantly PCs were A,affordable and B.could match and surpass the Amiga for computer-style (usually mouse-centric) games.

The 'miggy had a great run, it served a purpose to make the huge jump from 8 bit gaming, but ultimately it couldn't compete with the power of the PC (for stuff like C&C, Wing Commander, etc) or the SNES/MD for less technical stuff.

As Ant said, Commodore had little to do with the profits from retail games, and having a relatively easy access to lots of games for not much more than the price of a blank disc didn't make the machine less desirous to the public. Having said that, rampant piracy and loss of profits inevitably leads to less support for non-cartridge based machines, so less quality games = less sales.Quite a lot of the later games on the 'miggy were truly shocking, but it was MI3 being released on PC only, and the fact that I really wanted to play C&C/RedAlert and decent/fast versions of Wing Commander that swung it for me.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 am

Cane and Rinse recently did a good podcast on the Amiga, worth a listen.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."