Just been given a 2DS XL

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Just been given a 2DS XL

Post by English Invader » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

This was a very generous gift from my father and stepmother. It's used with 4 games (Super Mario Maker, Pokemon Ultramoon and Miitopia on cards and Mario Kart 7 on the Micro-SD card). The hardware seems to be working fine and I've had a lot of fun with it this afternoon.

One drawback is that online activity with the console was PIN restricted by the previous owner which is a bit of a downer for Super Mario Maker. Is there any way I can reset the system to factory settings so I can set up my own account and password?

Also, any recommendations for games? One game I definitely want to get my hands on is Pilotwings Resort as I love both the SNES and N64 games but I'm not sure where to start for everything else.

Shinobi

Re: Just been given a 2DS XL

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy Metroid metroid Samus Returns is amazing seems a bit short as its so good, Luigi's Mansion 1 and Zero Escape(providing you've played 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Also Pilot Wings is £3 in my local CEX so incredibly cheap. I paid £3 for Shinobi 3ds in CEX very hard old school platform game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:25 pm

I would assume the Mario Kart you have was part of a bundle so it should be fine and still there if you factory reset it. If not, you might lose it.

For games, based on what you said I would recommend;

Ocarina of Time + Starfox 64- Both look great on the system with a new graphical polish. Can't comment on Majora as I havent played through it. Both also very cheap.
Zelda A Link Between Worlds- If you're fond of Link to the Past like you are for Pilotwings, you should enjoy this too.
Fire Emblem Awakening- One of the best recent entries in the series. Has a demo on the eShop if you're unsure.
Pullblox/Fallblox- Excellent Puzzle series
NES Remix- Minigame collection based on NES games, fun and helps you master certain tricks on NES games.
Smash Bros 3DS- Great entry on 3DS.
Kid Icarus Uprising: Love this game
Ridge Racer 3D- Fun little racer, should be very cheap
Super Mario 3D Land- Great entry in the 3D Mario series.
Mighty Switch Force 1+2- Excellent 2D Platformer/puzzle games, if you're not going for the collection on modern systems.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:23 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am
This was a very generous gift from my father and stepmother. It's used with 4 games (Super Mario Maker, Pokemon Ultramoon and Miitopia on cards and Mario Kart 7 on the Micro-SD card). The hardware seems to be working fine and I've had a lot of fun with it this afternoon.

One drawback is that online activity with the console was PIN restricted by the previous owner which is a bit of a downer for Super Mario Maker. Is there any way I can reset the system to factory settings so I can set up my own account and password?

Also, any recommendations for games? One game I definitely want to get my hands on is Pilotwings Resort as I love both the SNES and N64 games but I'm not sure where to start for everything else.
I have reset a 2DS and recovered it's pre-installed game, from what I remember rather than 'buy' the game again for free in the eshop, there is there's a "re-download" option somewhere, either in the system menus or the eshop options.

Ocarina Of Time and Mario 3D Land are must owns. Luigi's Mansion 2 and Resident Evil Revelations are great too. Metroid Samus Returns is good but I haven't finished it yet. Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire emblem Awakening are arguably the best RPGs you could get. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a top 2D platformer.

Once you get online you can download some demos.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:18 am

Factory resetting a 2DS will usually require the PIN, so don't necesarily expect that to give you an easy way out. If you're not on good enough terms with the previous owners to use the usual recovery options of e-mail and secret question, you will probably need to give Nintendo a call to get an Inquiry Number in order to remove the lock. At that point you won't need to reset, at least.

Whatever you do, don't attempt to remove the Nintendo Network ID, as that's what downloads are tied to.

As for finding good games for it, it's easy on a par with breathing and walking in a straight line. There are just so many of them.

I'll add Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Majora's Mask and Super Street Fighter IV 3D to those listed so far. You obviously won't get the 3D effect with the latter but it's a cracking port that can be picked up for only a few quid if you show around.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:33 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:18 am
Whatever you do, don't attempt to remove the Nintendo Network ID, as that's what downloads are tied to.
I think games are only tied to a NNID if an NNID has been created, however games can be downloaded to the system without one. I recently bought a New 3DS XL with games installed and £20 credit but no NNID attached to it. There's still no NNID on the system and I've since spent the £20 credit on more games.

If the game was pre-downloaded to the 2DSXL by Nintendo then I'm fairly sure it's tied to the system itself, I think it's the black and green model that comes with MK7. When I reset a 2DS with NSMB2, I thought I had lost the game as it disappeared from the menu and memory, however as I mentioned there was a re-download software option somewhere which brought it back.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 am

Yeah, if there has never been one created there's obviously nothing to delete, and the eShop account is tied to the hardware. If it has one though, don't touch it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 am
Yeah, if there has never been one created there's obviously nothing to delete, and the eShop account is tied to the hardware. If it has one though, don't touch it.
I still think he may be ok to delete it if MK7 came with the system when new, though obviously he'd do so at his own risk. Best to search the web for a definitive answer first.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:49 am

pratty wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 am
I still think he may be ok to delete it if MK7 came with the system when new, though obviously he'd do so at his own risk. Best to search the web for a definitive answer first.
The console is black and green as you described earlier and, just to clarify, I always assume caveat emptor when seeking advice online and I've never been in the habit of blaming people who were good enough to try and help me.

In any case, a phone call to Nintendo looks like the right thing to do (it's good that they offer that service instead of cutting off the used market which is one of my concerns with contemporary consoles). I saw a YT video demonstrating something along those lines the other night.

Thank you, everyone for your help.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:56 am

I came across this video on youtube which seemingly generates a master key for you so that you can get around the parental controls lock.

https://youtu.be/oL69Zyz5OUQ

I've admittedly not tested this so I can't vouch for how reliable it is.
Where logic won't work, I will

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Highly rated RPG Radiant Historia is only £11 on the eshop at the moment, which is way cheaper than a physical copy these days.

Found myself eyeing up the black and green model, can't decide if I like it or not, the lime green seems a bit 'much' but Mario Kart pre installed is a nice bonus.