Retro Gaming Spotlight: Galaxian

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SHaines

Retro Gaming Spotlight: Galaxian

Post by SHaines » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Playing Galaxian was another of my early childhood memories. This game was developed and published by Namco in Japan, but by Midway (the studio that skyrocketed to fame many years later with Mortal Kombat) in North America. A year prior, Midway put themselves on the map by publishing Space Invaders in North America. This publishing deal made Galaxian one of Namco's first forays outside of Japan. The goal was to cash in on the massive success of Space Invaders.

Check out our RetroGamer post on this arcade classic here:
https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games7 ... nvaders-2/

Story: The titular Galaxians are an alien race determined to conquer the planet Earth for the standard reasons aliens always want to conquer it. What the game lacks in deep lore it makes up for with challenging game play (in 1979 this basically meant it becomes insanely hard very fast, once you get anywhere near the higher levels).

Gameplay: Use the joystick to move your vessel left and right on the screen. Use your button to fire the blasters and take out enemies ships approaching the ground in formation. Some ships will break formation and attempt to dive bomb the ground. Taking out those ships can earn bonus points when taking out these flagships and their two smaller scout vessels.

Check out a video of game play here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdeUY4G5Fq4

Play: Unofficial browser versions are available online, but it's tough to recreate the original arcade experience that way.

Pro Tip: Hardware limitations meant you can only fire one shot at a time. You won't be able to get another round off until your blast hits the top of the screen, so your best to fire when you're confident you'll hit a target, or else you'll get eaten up during this downtime.

Did you ever get the chance to play this one in arcades? Listening to the soundtrack and the sound of blaster fire brings back a ton of memories for me!

ncf1

Re: Retro Gaming Spotlight: Galaxian

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Galaxian was the first arcade game I ever played, it absolutely blew me away. I can still kind of remember the experience, the incredible sounds coming from the machine, the aliens sweeping across the screen in terrifying fashion; I was transfixed after that very first turn, a lifelong love for video games from that instant.

Thankfully when we got our Apple II not long afterwards the Apple home conversion was a solid effort, so it was incredible being able to then play it at home.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:12 am

SHaines wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 pm
Play: A browser version can be played here:
Should the RG team be linking to pirate software on the forum? :shock:

I may be wrong and this one is now freeware, but given the licensing I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Could we have the first instance of one of the staffers getting a ban? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SHaines

Post by SHaines » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:12 am
SHaines wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 pm
Play: A browser version can be played here:
Should the RG team be linking to pirate software on the forum? :shock:

I may be wrong and this one is now freeware, but given the licensing I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Could we have the first instance of one of the staffers getting a ban? ;)
I'll strongly consider banning myself, but first I may just swap out the link and see if something less problematic is available.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Ah, Galaxian!

A timeless, favourite classic!

I've always loved this game!

I've got it on a couple of PlayStation compilations as well as emulated.

Although whenever I'm in an arcade and I see it I can never resist feeding it a few coins and having a blast!
Press Play On Tape