Dave Perry

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

merman

Re: Dave Perry

Post by merman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Dexter wasn't a bad presenter, just suffered from what was happening behind the scenes and confusion on HOW he was meant to be "playing" it.

It's like Ed Tudor Pole following Richard O'Brien on The Crystal Maze. You can't do it the same way and a large chunk of the audience is going to hate you regardless.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Yeah, he was just the wrong man for the job. The producers thought Diamond was replaceable but it turned out that he wasn't.

Just making Perry the lead presenter would probably have worked better, although I doubt it would have led to him directing Bohemian Rhapsody or anything like that.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:13 am

Andy Dale wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 pm
kiwimike wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:26 pm
I'm always weary of judging a person by how they come across in the media. Anyone can trash talk in a game session and be handed their ass on a plate! But it is hard to assess a person if you don't really know them, and I'm really uneasy about jury by social media which happens so much in modern times. Billy Mitchell is a good example. He gets absolutely crucified, but while his game persona probably doesn't help, while he's guilty of some big mistakes (who isn't, to some degree) people forget work with make a wish etc.
Dave Perry, yeah, he might be a bit of a bad sport and regards to not taking a loss well lol....but as a human being probably an okay guy, but I have no idea as I don't know him.
I do enjoy Earthworm Jim though!
I see your point but I think if you go around telling folk you're the dog's bollocks for decades, and then you get caught cheating, you deserve to be berated for it.

Do you think Mitchell played Donkey Kong on an official cabinet? How do you explain the girder discrepancy?
For sure, I certainly can't argue! I just try to look for the best in people. Usually in extreme viewpoints, somewhere in the middle is the truth, and most of the time I find good people aren't 100% good, bad people aren't 100% bad, like the extremes you see in King of kong....and other reality type things for that matter. But you're right of course, the moral of the story is don't let your mouth write cheques your arse can't cash! :lol:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 pm

He has a youtube show now, Games Animal TV, episode 3 came out last weekend, I rather enjoyed watching them, he has mellowed with age and told some great, entertaining stories, well worth checking them out.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Yeah fair play to Dexter Fletcher - he wasn't that bad.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am
To be fair to Fletcher, he got to be a director of Hollywood blockbusters on the back of a successful acting career that started way before Gamesmaster.

Perry, on the other hand, came out of obscurity and went back there when it finished.
When did he come out of obscurity?? The guy has never been famous in the proper sense of the word, come on!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 am

Steady on now, I never said he was famous.

He did acquire enough notoriety though for the other, somewhat more widely renowned, David Perry to once write a blog post a few years back explaining that they were different people.

http://www.dperry.com/archives/news/dp_ ... vid_perry/

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 am
Steady on now, I never said he was famous.
Fair enough 8) If there's a middle ground between fame and obscurity, then that's all that guy could ever remotely claim to have reached.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)