Ebay is flooded with repros. Can anything be done?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Ebay is flooded with repros. Can anything be done?

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:19 pm

killbot wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:13 pm
I have no problem with repros. They make it possible to buy games like Conker's Bad Fur Day or Turtles in Time without needing to raid my pension fund.

However, there are two caveats: firstly, the game must work. Particularly with battery-backed games, many of the repros don't offer the functionality of the original which makes them pretty much useless. Secondly, and this is the biggie, they must be SOLD as repros. It must be absolutely clear to the buyer what they're getting. People who try to pass off reproductions as original carts are basically fraudsters.
The problems are as you've highlighted. The quality of knockoff anything is usually substandard, if the game save isn't relaible for example then it's still a waste of money even it's cheaper than the real thing. And as many sellers don't know if a game is real or not they may not disclose that a knock off game is a copy. And since it's copyright infringement they're less likely to admit it's a copy if they do know, since there's nothing really to gain, only lose.

I think most people are probably guilty of breaching copyright for personal use to some degree here and there, but I don't think it's a healthy thing to normalise, especially making money from it, we wouldn't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs and all that.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:36 pm

In some cases the repro is for sale for more than the official one.
Lots of games that are cheap get repros.
Sonic on the MegaDrive?

TBH if somebody goes into it thinking they have the bargain of the century without knowing that it's a bootleg they are probably too dim to care.
People should look into things before spending the cash.
If you want to play it emulate or use a flash cart, sod having another shelf filler

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 am

I've got a few GBA carts I know are fake off the bat but for the most part it was just purely price vs not mattering if lost or chewed by my then tiny puppy.

They do occasionally search or at least have algorithims that do so as I got called up for selling a JD gift set on alcahol sale despite it saying multiple times there wasn't any in it and it still took the guy serveral minutes to read it which may have been due language barrier.

The problem with conterfiets from China is that its an actual sod to bring anyone to task there for it, even with big stuff like cars, so most of the copyright holders just don't bother trying.
All you can really do is learn what you are looking at, make sure there is an appropiate means for returns in place and check out feedback for the seller and tell tale signs i.e too good to be true price, random waffling and location messed with to flag as your country but then state China as the business address.

Certain goods,like memory cards e.t.c I personaly will only buy from a reputable trader, it may be a little more pricey but it guarentees that what arrives is exactly what it should be.
Watching you sleep since 1990

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

I've bought several Saturn repro titles. I do own several of the originals, but a couple I'm never going to own, simply because I don't believe there's any cd game worth £1500 and above. I don't mind paying 4.99 for a quality printed dvd case and printed cd version of a 20 year old Japan-only released game.
Thoughts and prayers.