FEZ free on Epic Games Store

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

FEZ free on Epic Games Store

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Despite the recent flood of different online stores/game launchers for PC games, Epic Games Store seems to keep up with a nice gesture of giving away a free game each week, sometimes even two of them.

Right now on the menu is FEZ, an interesting platformer which tackled the idea of a 2D world projected into a 3D world. The game received general acclaim and arguably helped pushed the trend of modern indie platformers into the gaming main-stream (also due to some "internet drama" connected with the title's creator).

If you already have the launcher installed it should pop up as a notification, if you don't then you might be interested in downloading it and making an account (notable games that were given away for free include the likes of Thimbleweed Park, Subnautica, World of Goo, Axiom Verge, Alan Wake and so on).

For me personally, the weekly free game and Unreal Engine tools are a good enough deal. (and it seems the PC version of Tetris Effect will remain Epic Games Store exclusive)

Crusty Starfish

Re: FEZ free on Epic Games Store

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:29 am

Yeah, this popped up on my screen earlier. Instant YES from me as I did have this but kind of lost it - then couldn't remember where I got it from!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 am

Fez is a bit of an indie classic but with all these things I think it's a bit of a gambit to get the Epic Store onto people's desktops, along with the umpteen other online storefronts.

Personally, I'd much rather they did it by competing with Steam and GoG on quality of service. Let's face it, if it wasn't for freebies and exclusives, they're the only ones you'd bother with.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am

I see this "they should compete on quality of service" argument a lot and I'm not sold on it. I don't think it would matter if EGS offered a quality of service that was better than Steam and GoG - unless it was radically better in a way that doesn't exist right now, people would just stick with the store that houses the hundreds of games they already own. The only way any new retailer is going to break into the market, no matter how good their service is, is to offer products that Steam and GoG don't.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:26 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am
I see this "they should compete on quality of service" argument a lot and I'm not sold on it. I don't think it would matter if EGS offered a quality of service that was better than Steam and GoG - unless it was radically better in a way that doesn't exist right now, people would just stick with the store that houses the hundreds of games they already own. The only way any new retailer is going to break into the market, no matter how good their service is, is to offer products that Steam and GoG don't.
I've no problem with them having some exclusives. They've got their own games for starters and if they want to sign up any AAA publishers who are willing to take the hit from not having their games on Steam that's fine too. The sort of exclusives people are complaining about are typically indie developers who were offered exclusive-or-nothing deals, including some who'd developed games with crowdfunding with customers expecting Steam keys as rewards. That seems pretty low in my book, and with it being pretty much the only thing they're offering that the likes of Origin and Uplay didn't try before them, not too likely to bring them much success in the long run.

Anyway, it's not like Steam exists in some unachievable realm of perfection. There's serious scope for improvement in terms of things like the (lack of) curation and any matter of customer service that can't be sorted out by the automated parts of the system. Epic sure as hell won't be pushing them into improving though, when their own service is so utterly barebones in comparison, and that's a disappointment.