Arcade Club Leeds review

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Spector

Arcade Club Leeds review

Post by Spector » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:42 pm

I visited the recently opened Arcade Club venue in Leeds which complements the one that's been going in Bury for a couple of years now. Getting off at Headingley train station, it's easy to find, and you pay £16 to get in (£8 for kids). It has three floors of arcade machines: the ground floor was mainly modern arcade machines with some pinball and the second floor had Japanese machines and a "VR-Cade" I think, though I can't remember for sure as my main concern was the first floor up the stairs. This was the classic arcade section, and it was wonderful.

So many machines were there in such great condition it was hard to know where to start. The classics we all know like Pacman, Ms Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Frogger etc were there, but the harder to find gems had a big part to play as well, such as Time Pilot, Ladybug, Cosmic Avenger, Mr Do, Battlezone, Ring King and Tempest, as well as a beautiful sit down version of Star Wars. I also had to play Paperboy and then Commando. Final Fight provided some over the top laughs then some Rolling Thunder and Centipede too. Yes it was magnificent, and not busy either. Downstairs had some bigger sit down games, such as Out Run, Space Harrier and Power Drift- all working beautifully.

I heartily recommend it to everyone who is a big fan of arcade gaming history. There will be plenty of entertainment whatever your favourite period in gaming is, and the quality of the machines physically is superb. There's a place to get food and drink up the back of the ground floor and their food is decently priced too. I just wished I lived a bit closer to Leeds. For those who do, hurry up and get going! :D
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Arcade Club Leeds review

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Now this does sound like a cool place!

I'm in North Yorkshire fairly often, so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to venture down to Leeds for the afternoon.

£16 is perhaps more than I would want to pay however, though I could have my arm twisted...

Do you still have to feed the Arcades with coins once you get in?
Press Play On Tape

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm

SpecChum81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm
Now this does sound like a cool place!

I'm in North Yorkshire fairly often, so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to venture down to Leeds for the afternoon.

£16 is perhaps more than I would want to pay however, though I could have my arm twisted...

Do you still have to feed the Arcades with coins once you get in?
Nope. That's why you pay £16. That gets you in, and allows you to access all the machines, which are set to freeplay mode.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm

£16 is a bargain !!!!!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Freeplay?

Well now I'm even more tempted to make the trip!

I'll be in Yorkshire again in September, so I'll make sure I make a quick detour to Leeds... :D
Press Play On Tape