Retrogaming Spotlight: Joust

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SHaines

Retrogaming Spotlight: Joust

Post by SHaines » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Joust is the kind of game even non-gamers knew about in the years following its release. While earlier games had some multiplayer elements, it was Joust that really made gamers and developers realize just how important competitive / cooperative play could be.

Check out our RetroGamer post on the Lynx port here:
https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/joust/

Story: Joust isn’t really a game you play to discover the deep lore of a complex world. You’re a knight on an ostrich, or stork, and you are trying to knock other knights off their ostriches or storks.

Gameplay: Use the joystick to move your knight left to right. Each side of the screen acts as an instant travel to the opposite side (a la Pac-Man) Press a button to flap your wings. In a duel, the player who has their lance higher in the air than their opponent wins the duel.

Run over eggs dropped by defeated enemies for additional points. Avoid the deadly pterodactyl because, just like IRL, dinosaur > flightless bird.

Play: Playing in a browser is a very different feel from an arcade cabinet. Some games feel pretty much the same regardless of where you play, but with Joust, it really benefits from the arcade cabinet experience.

A browser version can be played here, but it’s not a fantastic port (Controls: Left arrow, right arrow, Z to flap wings)
https://www.retrogames.cc/nes-games/joust-usa.html

Pop Culture Impact: This classic arcade title was prominently featured in the book/film, Ready Player One. There has long been talk of a movie adaptation of the game, which is baffling, but not surprising. It’s impossible to overstate just how little story there is to this interesting, but very challenging little game.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Retrogaming Spotlight: Joust

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Ah, Joust!

One of my all time favourites and of course an all time classic!

I have this game several times over, with versions on the Speccy, PS1, PS2 and emulated.

While there is no story, and the gameplay is fairly simple, though still being quite a challenging game, it is still addictive and I love it as much as the first time I played it. :D
Press Play On Tape