From PC Engine Fanatics to Electric Brain and beyond

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

uchet

From PC Engine Fanatics to Electric Brain and beyond

Post by uchet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:18 pm

My games playing world changed in April 1989.

Until then it had all been about the C64, Spectrum, Amstrad for me but my eyes were opened to a new world when issue 1 of PC Engine Fanatics came out.
PC Engine Fanatics issue 1 cover.PNG
PC Engine Fanatics issue 1 cover.PNG (576.6 KiB) Viewed 76 times
It had reviews of R-Type, Dungeon Explorer, Dragon Spirit, Space Harrier, Vigilante, and more – all on the PC Engine. It also had tips on games.

The first edition was free but even by issue 9 it was still only 60p – such a bargain considering all the effort that clearly went into production and postal sendouts.

This was a time when the mainstream magazines were quite slow to pick up on consoles and it supplied me game reviews and tips at a time when there was little else available. The reviewers were all volunteers and brought alive all these console games that had previously had poor coverage.

By issue 9, the magazine had become Console Ma’Zine and covered many other consoles (including Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy, Lynx, and more). The mainstream press started covering these more, but I got so much more value from this magazine than any of those I could get at retail.
Console Ma'zine issue 9 cover.PNG
Console Ma'zine issue 9 cover.PNG (883.92 KiB) Viewed 76 times
By issue 19 it had renamed to Electric Brain – still home-published, until it got onto retailers shelves (albeit a short lifespan).
Electric Brain issue 33 cover.PNG
Electric Brain issue 33 cover.PNG (940.99 KiB) Viewed 76 times
The same person (Onn Lee) went on to create GAP (issue 1 was June 1994), which ran for a few issues – again still focusing on consoles.

Myself and other forward-thinking people are in the process of bringing this gem of our gaming history back to life for all retro gamers to see via scans, and I wonder what other publications there have been in the past that we should be looking to bring back to life in digital form.

Have attached 3 images here, but it doesn't allow more than 3 so not all magazines are shown.