Turbografx Mini/PC Engine Mini

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Turbografx Mini/PC Engine Mini

Post by ALK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 am

So on top of the Mega Drive Mini and everything that was announced today at E3, Konami is bringing out a Turbografx Mini along with PC Engine and Coregrafx Mini models.

https://twitter.com/JuiceboxCA/status/1 ... 9811054592
https://twinfinite.net/2019/06/turbogra ... ni-konami/
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Big Shoes

Re: Turbografx Mini/PC Engine Mini

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 am

That is awesome news, I have a Turbo Grafx console and a PC Engine GT hand held and they are great, I also have the Krikkzz Everdrive for it. Hopefully the emulation is spot on and we can add more games to it.

legooolas

Post by legooolas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:18 pm

The PC Engine is already tiny, how small is the mini version going to need to be?! :D

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Why are there three versions?? They all look great - deffo thinking about considering maybe looking into getting one.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:53 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm
Why are there three versions?? They all look great - deffo thinking about considering maybe looking into getting one.
Japan gets the PC Engine version.
US gets the Turbo version
EU gets the Core Grafx version
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm really interested in seeing how this particular machine does over here. Unlike most of the plug and play retro consoles so far, it doesn't have the same organic nostalgia base due to the fact that the original console wasn't widely available. But it does have a reputation amongst enthusiasts as being a really good system, and there aren't many other ways to get a good, easy introduction to it (no compilations, sparse digital releases, lots of fiddly extras if you choose to buy real hardware).

We know from the announced games that this machine will include CD-ROM and Super CD-ROM games, so most of the library is potentially up for inclusion already. It certainly has the potential to be that great gateway product - but as we know from other machines, delivering on that is another matter entirely.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 am

Lol the worlds going mini crazy!

But a great machine(s) so depending on titles could be excellent. But the mind boggles at how mini the PCE can get!

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:38 am

NickThorpe wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:58 pm
I'm really interested in seeing how this particular machine does over here. Unlike most of the plug and play retro consoles so far, it doesn't have the same organic nostalgia base due to the fact that the original console wasn't widely available. But it does have a reputation amongst enthusiasts as being a really good system, and there aren't many other ways to get a good, easy introduction to it (no compilations, sparse digital releases, lots of fiddly extras if you choose to buy real hardware).

I'm really interested in how this thing's going to do as well. Having reviewed a couple of PC Engine games over on YouTube recently, I've been a bit taken aback by how folks have reacted to them. I've had a few comments from people telling me they never knew the PC Engine existed, and didn't even know it as the Turbografx 16.

That's AMAZING to me, as, back in the early '90s, it was one of the most coveted items among my school pals! Probably had a lot to do with coverage in magazines like C&VG and Mean Machines. It had an INCREDIBLE library of games too, including a lot of arcade hits that worked well on the system. So it comes as a genuine surprise to me that it passed so many people by.

I do wonder how well it'll sell, though. Something that could potentially hurt is the comparative ease of PC Engine emulation. A Raspberry Pi 3 will emulate all but PC-Engine CD games pretty much flawlessly. If the console can deliver CD based games that play withoiut stuttering and audio glitching, that could make it appealing to the Pi-heads out there.

Mind you - those controllers alone are going to make it a neat experience.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:34 am

I'm a bit puzzled as to why we're getting the Core Grafx model - it was the TurboGrafx (no 16 suffix) that was released in PAL form - I had one, and an RGB modded PCE. Happy days.

Sucks that Rondo has been announced for the JPN model but not the UK one, Fighting Street would be a nice addition simply for the CD soundtrack, Parasol Stars is a must, and Mr Heli is a personal fave of mine.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 pm

It will be hackable, they always find a way.
My favourite games on the system as Devils Crush, Vigilante, Ninja Spirit, Bonks Adventure, Splatterhouse, Don Doko Don, Blazing Lazers and Bomberman

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
This is the very reason why I'm so interested in this. Sega, Nintendo, Atari, Commodore, Playstation? Been there, done that. PC Engine? Absolute no brainer.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I am tempted of buying the japanese version, if only for the difference in the presentation style.

Europe/America: Know your classics.
From the Golden Age of Gaming - A revolutionary console - shines again - experience a piece of history - (games list) - the glory of the past - is within your grasp - Know your classics

Japan: for the adults who were once spellbound by games
launched in 1987 - the supreme home gaming machine - is finally coming back - for the adults who were once spellbound by games - (games list) - the deep emotion and excitement of that time - once more in your hands - come on, let's play

I mean.... score 10-0 for the Japanese team...

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 am

Really interested in this - During the 80s, I used to look on this with dreamy eyes in C&VG - I wanted a PC engine and Selina Scott.

I still want a PC Engine.
Last edited by slacey1070 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

NickThorpe wrote:
But it does have a reputation amongst enthusiasts as being a really good system...
I'm an enthusiast and it will be mine! :wink:

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am

slacey1070 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 am
Really interested in this - During the 80s, I used to look on this with dreamy eyes in C&VG - I wanted a PC engine and Selina Scott.

I still want a PC Engine.
:lol:

If the price is right and the emulation good I'm all over this. I