New highly impressive CPC game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

New highly impressive CPC game

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Looks like the 8-bit home micro with the best colour palette is getting it's modern "killer app" - Vespertino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAcd47eUZF4

I have to say, those framerates seem unreal for the CPC. Some intense coding magic had to be at work here.

Matt_B

Re: New highly impressive CPC game

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm

It indeed looks impressively fast, but you'll notice that the perspective of the upcoming road is much flatter than in comparable games - like Chase HQ and WEC Le Mans - with most of the action happening in a relatively small section of the screen down at the bottom. Having a lot less data to shuffle about allows for a better frame rate but it's a trade off that few games would have made back in the day.

Those 3D car models in the intro screen are definitely just pre-rendered bitmaps. It's an impressive look, but tends to eat up a lot of RAM. I'm guessing that it's going to be a 128K only game, maybe even a multiload from disk or requiring some sort of RAM expansion. Edit: Looks like it's a cartridge game. I guess they can be as profligate as they like with their memory usage in that case and still have it run on 64K machines.

Anyway, fingers are crossed that they can deliver on the gameplay. As ever, that's the main thing.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Well, what little of the game you get to see looks impressive.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am

I'm very excited to play this - great to see the Amstrad back in the lime light with a new arcade style game.

Also keep an eye out for the new impressive looking 'Toki' conversion (I believe a port was started back in 1991 but was cancelled along with the Spectrum version)...

https://youtu.be/nIKF_G-pFZA

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 11, 2019 1:04 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm
It indeed looks impressively fast, but you'll notice that the perspective of the upcoming road is much flatter than in comparable games - like Chase HQ and WEC Le Mans - with most of the action happening in a relatively small section of the screen down at the bottom. Having a lot less data to shuffle about allows for a better frame rate but it's a trade off that few games would have made back in the day.

Those 3D car models in the intro screen are definitely just pre-rendered bitmaps. It's an impressive look, but tends to eat up a lot of RAM. I'm guessing that it's going to be a 128K only game, maybe even a multiload from disk or requiring some sort of RAM expansion. Edit: Looks like it's a cartridge game. I guess they can be as profligate as they like with their memory usage in that case and still have it run on 64K machines.

Anyway, fingers are crossed that they can deliver on the gameplay. As ever, that's the main thing.
I'd be shocked if that was real-time 3D since not even a GBA could pull that off in real-time.

The smaller screen part where most of the stuff is happening is much like the Top Gear games on the SNES.

I think these guys did there best to deliver "16-bit quality" on a 8-bit system (even though the "bits" thing was always a bad measure for graphical output - as we may know, the Intellivision was 16-bit but clearly had "8-bit quality" visuals and the PC Engine/TG-16 was 8-bit but could rival what the 16-bit systems like the SMD/GEN and SNES were doing - nevermind that SMD's CPU was actually more of a 16-bit/32-bit one rather than "pure" 16-bit and N64's 64-bit one was on a 32-bit bus).

We probably don't overreact when we say that the smoothness of this game puts to shame all other racing games on this system, or perhaps even as a whole.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 11, 2019 3:49 am

Damn that does look impressive for sure

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Well that looks amazing.. looks to me like it was based off Lotus on Amiga, or a combination of Lotus and Outrun and it looks very promising indeed.

Amazing what they're accomplishing with the classic machines, proves old dogs can indeed be taught new tricks :)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm

The video seems to state that all CPC models are supported. Will be interesting to see if that holds true.

Edit. Ah, I see the developers have said that the game will come in two variations, a lite version and a full fat one. The 464 will only be able to play the lite version with a memory expansion onboard.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm

It's the other way around, according to what I heard. I.e. The basic version comes on disc and requires 128K (so can be played on a 464 with drive and memory expansions) while the full game will be on cartridge and work on all machines.

Still, it's early days yet and I'd suspect that much is subject to change. Given the Pinball Dreams port was first previewed in 2016, I wouldn't be expecting this one to drop for a couple more years yet.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

Looks impressive to me, and unusally suited to the colour palette available, not the usual garish mess CPC games tend to be.

I might even have to say I like a CPC game!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:50 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm
Still, it's early days yet and I'd suspect that much is subject to change. Given the Pinball Dreams port was first previewed in 2016, I wouldn't be expecting this one to drop for a couple more years yet.
Would love to see Pinball Dreams released. But will it happend? The game is long time finished and reviewed in several channels. I hope that if in the end the copyrightholder will allow it and if not it will be leaked to a torrent or something. Super Mario C64 was quickly taken down by Nintendo but can still be found on torrent. Such good releases for old computers should be played!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 am

It's interesting to see these projects - if you look at the software library of the Spectrum, C64 and Atari 2600, you get the impression that on these machines, having sold in such vast quantities, the programmers really pushed the machines far beyond the original vision of the machines' designers. Look at something like Frostbite or Keystone Kapers on the Atari. Did anyone back in the mid/late 70s designing that hardware expect these sorts of games to be written for it?

With the Amstrad there seems to have been a lot of untapped potential due to it getting Speccy ports, and don't you also have the problem of memory management, with the full-colour mode being a memory hog? 16K for the screen, or thereabouts? In any case, the only person I knew with an Amstrad when I was young had a green screen monitor. So you had all those lovely colours and they were all rendered in different shades of green ... How many people had the fortune to have a full-colour monitor?

One of the real attractions of the homebrew scene is to see how developers can push less fashionable hardware - the different strengths of the machines means that you can get something unique and different out of them. Take the Atari 8-bit for example. Games like Yoomp! and Crownland show what the platform was capable of when stretched. I'd imagine the Amstrad is also ripe for pushing to its hardest - what would really play to its strengths? Maybe a 3D space shooter or something, taking advantage of its faster processor?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)