Arcade stick controller recommendations for MAME please?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

Arcade stick controller recommendations for MAME please?

Post by MattyC64c » Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a good decently priced Arcade stick with the buttons on the side for MAME. I've seen quite a few on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's good from what's bad.

I've just bought a Speedlink 'Competition Pro' controller for C64 and Amiga Emu's and it's great fun, far more authentic and nostalgic to me than using an Xbox One controller or the keyboard - I never used the keyboard to play games back then.

Thanks in advance.

Antiriad2097

Re: Arcade stick controller recommendations for MAME please?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Build your own:
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

Cheap, easy, and you'll get the exact layout you want perfectly formed to suit your own hands, No soldering required.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks,

I actually don't mind building my own as long as there's no soldering required, I built my own PC, shouldn't be a stretch.

That's a rather old website, it's even got frames! 😂

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sun May 05, 2019 2:30 pm

X-Arcade controllers are awesome

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 am
Thanks,

I actually don't mind building my own as long as there's no soldering required, I built my own PC, shouldn't be a stretch.

That's a rather old website, it's even got frames!
It is very old, but it remains a great resource for info on building your own controls or cab, with years of knowledge built and shared.

I first went there before this was a common thing, and hacking keyboard encoders was the norm for your stick control board.

Now you can buy an i-pac which makes it a doddle. If you can wire a plug, you can wire a joystick with one of these. The PC just reads it as keyboard input, making it useable with pretty much any emulator with minimal fuss.

Its been years since I bought my parts, but when I did I got them from Gremlin Solutions (iirc) who no operate from here: www.arcadeworlduk.com

They have everything you need and last time I looked were competitively priced. I picked up a stick/button bundle for an absolute steal, I think it cost me 20odd quid, then just needed the i-pac and some cheap wire from Maplins. Threw that into a box made from old offcuts of wood and it stayed like that, with a nice twin stick setup and buttons in the middle, with a couple on the sides for pinball. Worked so well I never moved beyond the prototype.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon May 06, 2019 10:09 am

I'll have a good look at these DIY Arcade sticks, cheers!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:09 am

There is a book written by the arcadecontrols website guy: 'Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Machine' by John St. Clair, it's available on Amazon

This summarises a lot of the info on the site into manageable chunks.

With the site, I tended to read random bits of info, but the book organises things and it's a much more structured read that lends itself to learning more.

Even if you don't go the whole hog and build a cab, it might be worth looking into for a stick build if you can pick it up cheap. Might be a little dated now regarding the tech available though.