Favorite GBA game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
icemann
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 am

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by icemann » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Exactly. And many of the games have that "SNES look".

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14861
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:50 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:36 am
Double Dragon Advance. Absolutely masterful update of the coin-op version, better than every single home port of the three 'proper' games, and one of the best belt-scrollers ever.
Always wanted to play that but whenever I was on the lookout for a copy, there were more fakes than legit carts, the latter being pretty pricey. If I ever get back into GBA gaming then it would be with a flashcart or something so I can play these games as I'm no longer interested in collecting physical stuff or having complete copies.

Metal Slug Advance deserves a shout for being a damn good, original entry in the series.
Spiderman: Mysterio's Menace is a class side-scrolling action game.
Spyro: Season of Ice is impressive for the GBA albeit at the expense of the isometric viewpoint making it difficult to judge heights of platforms.
Lady Sia is a beautiful 2D platformer that rarely gets mentioned.
Robot Wars Extreme Destruction is decent '3D' fun if you were a fan of the TV show.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a mind-blowing effort. Hard to recommend when there are much better versions but still, what an achievement.
Crash Bandicoot XS is a faithful recreation of the PS1 games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ant512
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by ant512 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 am
It's actually more of a portable 3DO, technically speaking. But I know what you mean, it has a lot of games that are either from SNES or feautre SNES-like scrolling effects.
How so? Aside from the ARM CPU I don’t see that the GBA has much in common with the 3DO.

User avatar
icemann
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 am

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by icemann » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:29 am

You definitely could not do FMV on the GBA, unlike the 3DO (which had A LOT of FMV games).

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5168
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:47 pm

icemann wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:29 am
You definitely could not do FMV on the GBA, unlike the 3DO (which had A LOT of FMV games).
The hardware is entirely capable of playing FMV. However, the cost of cartridge storage is prohibitively high and few games used it for more than very short clips.

You can see some examples here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4dFneg4_o

There were also some films released on GBA cartridge, but they tend to look pretty awful because of the high compression levels required:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_Video

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 01, 2019 1:08 am

ant512 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm
outdated_gamer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 am
It's actually more of a portable 3DO, technically speaking. But I know what you mean, it has a lot of games that are either from SNES or feautre SNES-like scrolling effects.
How so? Aside from the ARM CPU I don’t see that the GBA has much in common with the 3DO.
I meant that more in the sense that GBA could output considerably better graphics than the SNES, including full 3D games without any add-on chips like the SNES needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNuS14pIOz0

It's indeed the ARM CPU that made me do the comparison, although I'm aware that the GBA is hardly a "portable 3DO".

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:12 am

Toss up between Mario Kart Super Circuit and Total Soccer.

Good to see Bueno lasted - one post, in and out haha.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4568
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:08 am
ant512 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 pm
outdated_gamer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 am
It's actually more of a portable 3DO, technically speaking. But I know what you mean, it has a lot of games that are either from SNES or feautre SNES-like scrolling effects.
How so? Aside from the ARM CPU I don’t see that the GBA has much in common with the 3DO.
I meant that more in the sense that GBA could output considerably better graphics than the SNES, including full 3D games without any add-on chips like the SNES needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNuS14pIOz0

It's indeed the ARM CPU that made me do the comparison, although I'm aware that the GBA is hardly a "portable 3DO".
Yeah, I often see the misconception that the GBA is some sort of technically inferior, but portable SNES when it was significantly more powerful than the stock SNES. The only downside was having two less buttons and a lower resolution output due to its portable screen. The reality is that the GBA was a far more capable machine with higher specs, which the SNES only matched with the Super FX 2 enhancement chip. The cart ROM sizes available to the GBA were significantly larger as well, meaning games could be bigger and more richly detailed (when developers bothered).

That said, there are quite a few inferior ports of SNES games on the GBA, so its no wonder that some people drew the conclusion it was a weaker machine. Ugh at Contra III on GBA.

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by gunbladelad » Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Metroid Fusion and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
Where logic won't work, I will

You've Been Gamed
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by You've Been Gamed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Mine has to be Advance Wars. Loved that! Also a big fan of Mario Golf Advance Tour

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Cart I've probably played the most is Need for Speed underground although there probably is some better racing games out there and possibly even in my collection as it seems half of them got stuck in the loft.
Keep meaning tolook for more but even the bad games are getting pricey around here and last few ebay carts have been bootlegs (they were cheap enough and did the job mind so I didn't complain).
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14861
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm
Cart I've probably played the most is Need for Speed underground although there probably is some better racing games out there and possibly even in my collection as it seems half of them got stuck in the loft.
Keep meaning tolook for more but even the bad games are getting pricey around here and last few ebay carts have been bootlegs (they were cheap enough and did the job mind so I didn't complain).
The GT Advance games were pretty good. Archaic by today's standards but nice selection of licensed Jap metal.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

peter6168
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by peter6168 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:40 am

Advance Wars and WarioWare used to kill some time on a long flight.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:04 am

Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 am
Sega2006 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm
Cart I've probably played the most is Need for Speed underground although there probably is some better racing games out there and possibly even in my collection as it seems half of them got stuck in the loft.
Keep meaning tolook for more but even the bad games are getting pricey around here and last few ebay carts have been bootlegs (they were cheap enough and did the job mind so I didn't complain).
The GT Advance games were pretty good. Archaic by today's standards but nice selection of licensed Jap metal.
I'm pretty sure its 3 I've got on a 2 in 1 with a Moto GP somewhere in storage (at least I hope its there along with my other missing carts), probably the only time I enjoyed driving a Micra although the tracks were a bit bland vs what Colin McRae 2 and the NFS carts offered, in the real world I used to follow the Jap car scene but now I'm with the Germans when I'm able to drive.
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
Pacific
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Favorite GBA game

Post by Pacific » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Found my GBA SP hidden away in a box - had forgotten what a good little machine it is. Immediately lost a weekend to Super Mario and playing through Zelda again.

Now starting to comb eBay as always wanted to have a go at the Castlevania games. Is there one in particular that people would recommend?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests